1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zen and painting lizards.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Carnozen92, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

So I started a Lizardmen army not long ago, and wanted to start this thread in the hopes of finding some good criticism I can grow from and hopefully provide some inspiration for other lizard players.

This is the first army I have really tried to paint decently and am constantly trying to get better! Any tips, even on the smallest detail is appreciated and welcomed :)

So far I have done:

Oldblood on Carno
    Ancient Stegadon with EotG
    30 Spear armed Saurus

Still to have done:

Scar vet on Carno
    2x Bastiladons
    36x skirmish skinks
    6x Rippers
    3x skink priests
    1x bsb on foot
    1x Ancient Steg
    50x saurus
    40x skink cohort

I have everything either assembled or in boxes so am ready to power through. Here's what I got so far:

IMG_4183_zps917918c5.jpg
    IMG_4182_zpsd8f1566d.jpg
    IMG_4180_zpseeb391b5.jpg
    IMG_4156_zps17295846.jpg

IMG_4171_zpsdbddf289.jpg
    IMG_4172_zps91cf5b65.jpg
    IMG_4169_zps64b2d9d6.jpg
    IMG_4167_zps5008e0ac.jpg

IMG_4173_zpsaee24272.jpg
    IMG_4176_zps9647b65d.jpg
    IMG_4175_zps7d7ea4a2.jpg

Sorry for the first spam of photos!

I'll try keep it to just 3 per new unit :D

Please feel free to give advice on colours/techniques/bases/converting etc, I would really value feedback if you have any to give, always trying to improve!

Cheers lads and ladies

2. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't upload less, but more!

This army is beautiful..I especially like the great purple lizard. I mean Carnosaur! And his rider...

The Stegadon also feels alive, with the skinks on top brawling in the chaos of warfare. Love it.
    And well, the saurus are just not from this planet are they? I'd hate to see any Saurus get killed and remove them from the battlefield!

Unfortunately I don't have any tips (not the greatest painter myself), so I just came in to compliment your army :)

The Hunted

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I agree. The more, the better!

Great work.

4. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Some mascara for the skinks perhaps?

But srsly, awesome work!

If you can keep this level of painting throughout your whole army, you are in for some "best painted army" awards if you go to tournaments i think!

I love your conversions as well!

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow what an amazingly gourgous army...

Please sir,
    spamm us with many more pictures,
    oh and spam the galery subtopic too.

Ps. welcome to Lustria. :smug:

6. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

Awh cool thanks guys! Such a positive environment here haha

Starting the 6 Rippers today, so hopefully will be done in under a week if I can squeeze in the time!

I really wanted to do something different with these lizards, I feel like a lot of lizard armies end up looking too similar so want to add to the movement of changing that.

This thread should also keep motivation levels to paint up :D

7. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Nice! :D

Keep it up! How many points is the list based on? Having two carnos, two ancient stegs and two bastiladons is a lot of points! However I would LOVE to see you paint all those things. Nice affect on the spears and swords too

8. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

Wow, your attention to detail is awesome. I love the highlights! Especially on all the little mosaic tiles and scales. Looking forward to more photo's

9. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Usually I post and then someone doesn't post again for 15 billion years...

10. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

Again thankyou! Busting out the skin on the Rippers tonight, they should be done by next week sometime.

As for the points value for the army, I don't have a points value in mind. I just wanted to have a large range of options to build a variety of lists very different from the meta, hence the no slann thing for now. Will add kroxigor and salamanders etc in once this lot is done. Hopefully going for about 8000-10000 points by the end before the next army.

We'll see how it goes :)

Next post should have some Flyers photos and a progression series to show how I did them step by step. This thread might get in depth, which I do not apologize for since when I scroll through this site I love the in depth threads, the more detail the better!!

11. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Ok! Can't what for Rippers!

12. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

So life got in the way for a while - work, uni, etc.

Finally got the painting bug back and stuck into these lizards full force! Here are the completed rippers and my dual sun guns to wax some models off the board :)

Again, any tips on colour or technique are much appreciated!

Got lazy with the rippers in the end so a little disappointed with the detail on them. Had some issues with humidity which made washing a total mission.

2014-07-28222715_zpse32a2521.jpg

2014-07-28222647_zps61353cef.jpg

2014-07-28222525_zps5e9dfbb0.jpg

2014-07-28222559_zpsd0d513bc.jpg

2014-07-26002539_zpsad811022.jpg

2014-07-26002334_zpsc9fac96b.jpg

2014-07-26002617_zps2794e2fe.jpg

2014-07-26002214_zpse82c00f3.jpg

3 x 12 skink skirmishers are in the works right now. Hopefully the turn out as cool looking as I plan!

Peace :)

13. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Some nice additions to a good looking army!
    are you going to be doing anything with those ripper wings?

14. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

Thanks man. I'm really not sure. They have been very lightly dry brushed but want to do something awesome with them. Not sure what to do though, I'm kinda stuck for ideas so hoping painting other units will hit me with inspiration!

Any ideas? If it sounds legit I might even try out a suggestion or two

15. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Well if you want to keep the wings looking dark still, I would suggest something like:
    -Colour "bleeding" out from the skin onto the wings. Imagine differing tones of the skin colour in somewhat random spotting designs
    -perhaps lighter-to-darker brown "racing stripes" but less rigid. More like shallow arcs
    -maybe even duller skin tone blotches around the skinned areas of the wing membrane

Just throwing a few ideas out :)

16. matthius
    Skink

matthius New Member

WOW!! Your skills are very very high!!! This whole scheme looks great. I love your style. Keep it up and MORE PHOTS PLEASE!!!! will never get bored of looking at painting of this quality.

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Think I missed this the first time,
    Man great stuff, Love the green sttripes on the Blasadons body,
    and all the great work with the purple marbilized stone bits. :D

18. Carnozen92
    Skink

Carnozen92 New Member

Thank you muchly team!

I'm pumping through my 3 skink units at the moment, up to the final detailed stages so it's getting into that long slog at the end kind of stage but will get there sure enough.

Going to try out the above recommendations on the ripper wings and try to zazz them up a bit.

Wanting to do a super swampy kroxigor/skink cohort unit just cause they look awesome. Also a few converted salamanders at some point. Keeping the army cohesion but also wanting to make the sallies stand out as their own species/colour scheme from my other monsters; any cool colour ideas for these? Honestly have no idea what to do on these or the kroxigor!

Kind of wanting to do the kroxigor like an upgraded version of the saurus (more red and less green to symbolise rank in the army) but again not sure haha

The more tips you guys can come up with the more ideas I have to go with.

Also I am making this army not to be competitive but to just have a really nice lustria feel to it (as I believe the game should be in battles - true to the warhammer world that is). So if any of you have some ideas you think would look insane for any units or heroes then please please please describe it in as much detail as possible! If I can visualise it I might just do it at some stage :)

19. sillyduck123
    Saurus

sillyduck123 Member

DUDE! Really good figs m8 love the color scheme and overall level of painting involved really good job

Add the Carnosaur to the Itza gallery of fine arts it would make a great edition!!!

20. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Love your scheme! The purples and blues offset the more neutral other colors nicely. Might I ask which paints you used for the purple? I really like it. As for the wings on the Rippers, personally I think they could use some vibrancy in them, but have no ideas for a pattern. Haven't done much painting myself yet. :(