1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Your Most Reliable Unit

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Revered_Guardian, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Ok, so which unit for all of you folks is your most reliable, will crush wave after wave of enemies and hardly ever fails you!!!!

My most reliable unit is definitely my COR and the scar vet with em, they go through anything like butter.....even in the front.

My second most Reliable Unit has always been Tehe-Xili the skink priest though, as he is my sole character on the battlefield that has yet to die! (once he ran away....only once)

2. Alesh
    Skink

Alesh New Member

My Temple Guard are by far the hardest thing in my army. A unit of 24 plus the Slann, with Full Command. The Slann is the BSB. Even with no fighting characters, 11 Strength 5 hits in the fronts decimates most enemy front ranks on the charge. When being charged, this unit either stays put or runs the enemy off. I've had a unit of Ogre Iron Guts (maybe Bulls... it was a long time ago) bounce off this unit in one turn.

Temple Guard rock.

3. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Sadly I have yet to get enough points to try them with the slaan :depressed: (although with my new job it won't be hard :D )

4. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

24 temple guard with a slann BSB.... that's like 800 points, I should hope that unit never fails you lol! Odd number too, and you say it's 5 wide? 5x5+3? or do you mean 7x4?

5. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

I think i have to say my Cold ones as well... They got killed 2-3 times.. One Organ Gun shot because i didn't look good enough.. only 1 surviving. 2 others times got taken out by those Wight Cavalry from VC.

The other times they did survive.. They took out a unit of slayers in 2 combat phases. Took a few Skeleton blocks with either a Wight King or a Vampire in it.

But to be honest.. it is hard to choose.. The skinks that have been sacrificed for the greater good (No Tau reference) were pretty much acting always as i wanted them to do.. Screening, take out war machines, shoot half units down.

My EotG only got taken out once.. My skink priest got one-shotted by a Wight King and didn't hit anything back with my steg/crew.. resulting in a whole 4" flee! So he deserves some credit too.

6. Corbechev
    Saurus

Corbechev New Member

Lucky, I lose my Engine every game. They do everything to get into combat and throw a few attacks on the Priest.

CoR gets my vote, the only unit to consistently perform for me. Although I had a block of saurus last out against Boar Boys flank charge for 4 rounds of combat, rolled insane courage and a 3 for leadership twice to hold.

7. Serpentsire
    Saurus

Serpentsire New Member

For me, it is just a block of good ol' Saurus. n my last tourney, they stood against a dragon prince charge for 4 turns, then finally wiped out all 6 as well as the two heroes in the unit. Unfortunately, my COR got a total of two movement phases in three games due to stupidity, and only took out the crew of a bolt thrower; since then I have always opted for something I know will do what i want. Saurus, five wide, four deep, sword and board.

8. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

My favourite unit, and by far the one that tends to do me the most amount of good in games is my CoR's.

On more than one occasion they have mashed up a grave guard unit, then held up a vamp lord for a few turns while I mashed up the centre.

Though since this is the "most reliable unit" selection, I would have to say saurus.
    Hell, you give em a job and even if they don't get it done, you can bet your behind that they aren't going to lie down and be walked over. They hold my centre which forms the anchor of my entire battle tactic.

-Eagle-

9. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

I totally agree with you.. They got the right stats to hold some strong stuff. But sadly they are the one unit i got that most of the time run at least once.. but always ready the next phase preparing for another impact..

10. Alesh
    Skink

Alesh New Member

Yup... about 800 points.

And oops... that was my mistake. I still run an odd number, though it's 20 instead of 24. That gives me 5x4 wwith 4 stragglers in the back. They're there to provide some cushion vs. missile fire: I can lose some and still hold a static +5 CR (3 ranks, banner, BSB).

11. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Any tips on using saurus then? In most of my games so far, they either haven't seen combat, been hit in the flank (damn overruns) or delayed and only managed to kill off a unit of night runners....but there was that time they smashed a unit of 40 goblins who charged them with a bsb, then continued to crush 19 orc big uns, and the time they smashed a clanrat and plague monk unit collapsing the enemies entire center and getting a tie :meh:

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

You can expect mixed results from pretty much any unit... Try not to expose their flanks, and try to get them to combat with whatever they can.

BTW, don't be too proud of killing 40 goblins... Really, a unit of 40 goblins is no different to a unit of 20 goblins except their flank is bigger so they should be easier to take down.

13. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

This unit of 40 goblins is different........3 fanatics 1 bsb with poison standard, hey ALL have poisoned spear attacks because of it, and what i'm proud about is the fact I killed them in a single turn...did I forget to mention there was a big boss in the unit too? Either way, Ive seen skeletons and clanrats bounce off of these like they were an iron wall....it took both a unit of clanrats with a hero and a unit of skeletons with a hero to break them once...(this kid rolls 6's very well...) and even then it killed 10 skeleton horseman and 3 carrion....not to mention tonnes of skellies and clanrats!

14. DonkeyHotep
    Temple Guard

DonkeyHotep New Member

10-15 ranked skinks with no upgrades is usually my most reliable unit. (maybe command, but mostly not)
    Just this game they screened a flank against some skeleton archers (TK), and they camped in some 1/4 movement water and delayed the charge of a tomb scorpion. The reason that these chumps are so reliable is that they don't have to do a darn thing to have succeeded, if anyone shoots crap at them then they've done their job. With toad around they can even stand and hold a flank against crap like marauder horsemen, and even though they are in ranks they can still shoot large targets with all ranks (which is the stuff you want to poison anyway).

15. Putros
    Skink

Putros New Member

Youve got a point, im never dissatisfied with my skink walls either. Great fun to run across a quarter of the board in one turn, and on turn two, completely blocking the LoS of an enemy re(a)pe(te)r bolt-thrower, good fun.