1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. yet another attempt at 2000 pt competitive

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by i play whfb, Mar 8, 2011.

1. i play whfb
    Skink

i play whfb New Member

lords-
    slann
    focus of mystery, focused rumination,becalming cogitation, higher state of consciousness
    cupped hands
    divine plaque of protection
    lord total= (500) pts

heroes-
    tiktaq'to (funny name ha)
    scar-vet errrm not sure what to put on him help me with that please haha put around 85 pts of upgrades/wargear

hero total= (485) pts

core-
    25 saurus spears full cmd
    24 saurus spears full cmd (scar vet here)

core total = (598) pts

special-
    stegadon
    3 terradons
    3 terradons

special total= (415)

total= 1998

any constructive critisism helps! thanks

2. Viarca
    Saurus

Viarca New Member

If you're going to do special characters, Tiktaq'to isn't the hero choice I would take. He's expensive and is pretty fragile. Consider Tetto'eko instead, as he is 60 points less and a lot better in a competitive build (one of the best special characters in WH for his points in my opinion).

The other major concern is the Stegadon. If you're going to take one, I'd highly recommend the Ancient Stegadon, as it isn't as encumbered by the awful BS3, pumping out 4D6 poisoned shots, as well as having the ability to stand and shoot.

I don't know if money and models are still a big concern with this list for you, but cutting back on some of the Slann options so you can use yourpoints elsewhere would also be a good idea. Two units of terradons are more of a point sink than I like at 2k as well. While they usually serve a different purpose, Salamanders have worked better in most lists I've seen and played for their cost.

3. i play whfb
    Skink

i play whfb New Member

so how should i change this list i dont quite understand?

4. Viarca
    Saurus

Viarca New Member

What I would encourage you to do is go and playtest some of these lists you are coming up with. Hopefully you are in an area were you can proxy models (most places are friendly about this as long as it's not a tournament). See what works for you, and more importantly, what you enjoy playing. People on forums have a whole range of opinions, and while there may be a lot of consensus on what works best in general, there is no cookie-cutter way to play Lizardmen or any other army, or this would be a pretty boring game.

5. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

agreed viarca. ive put together numerous lists, and i do mean numerous (17k points worth of models will do that to a person) but that doesn't make them effective unless you get a feel for how that list plays. in the short term, id drop Tik in favor of some sallies, change the terradons over to chameleons. it comes down to what you want the list to do. if your looking for fast moving, switch out some saurus for a skrox unit. if your looking for hard hitting, toss in an ancient steg. going up against hordes? better bring those sallies along. if your goal is a take-all-comers list, id edit it as such:

LORDS
    Slann (450)
    -mystery, rumination, cognition
    -cupped, divine

HEREOS (248)
    scar-vet
    -LA, shield, 50 pts in magic items (think stuff for challenges)

skink hero
    -LA, shield, 40 pts in magic items (think asf)

CORE (637)
    25 Saurus
    -spears, command

24 Skinks
    -command, 3 Krox

SPECIAL (240)
    10 Chameleons

10 Chameleons

RARE (425)
    Ancient Stegadon

1 Salamander

1 Salamander

that army could do just about anything.

6. i play whfb
    Skink

i play whfb New Member

thanks im not a stegadon person but i <3 skinks so i might swap out the ancient stegadon for some skinks and another block of saurus

7. Gop
    Skink

Gop New Member

These days I always start a larger list with 1 salamander, and like to have 2. Extra handlers is essential.

2x5+ chameleon skinks is great if you have them. Better than terradons now and cheaper for cannon killing.

EoG steg is better choice, but 2 stegs sure makes the opponent think. Terror is also great.

Scar vet with ASF weapon and eg. gamblers armour or similar is good in a big unit of saurus.

Not a fan of ranked skink units. Way too fragile to mix it with the big boys. Pipe skirmishers are great though.

That's the basics. Good luck with it!