1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Wrath of the Old Ones

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lherad, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Hey all! Here I'll be posting what updates I do with my Seraphon army, and hopefully I will end up with a nice force of star-lizards. Right now all I have to show you is unpainted stuff, mostly because I have not been able to get a nice setup to take gooooood photos of the finished stuff, but I hope to do so soon.

I like to convert and customize my miniatures a lot, so expect kitbashing. If you have any question about where a piece is from or how I made some conversion, feel free to ask =). My skill with greenstuff is not the best but I hope to improve over time, and I have seen that there are some amazing sculptors around, so I'll be happy to get as much feedback as possible from everyone!

So, here it comes (Warning, pic heavy).

IMG-20171202-WA0005.jpg

Some Saurus Guard (not much conversion here, just some adornments and top blades for the halberds, from the Saurus Warriors spears).

IMG-20171202-WA0031.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0008.jpg

A couple Saurus knights, just with some GS to fill gaps between the cold ones and the saddles, and some sculpting work on their waist (I dislike how "slim" the Saurus models are, so I kinda bulk them up a bit with sashes and plaques around their waists). Also I use the tails of our actual (and derpy) cold ones for the riders, I think it gives them a little more weight and balance.

IMG-20171202-WA0025.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0026.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0024.jpg

Three Terradon/Ripperdactyl riders, the ripper's tails added to the terradons. I like how it changes their silhouette a lot. For the riders mostly used the rippers, I hope I can proxy them as whatever I need to =P. (I dont really like the ripper's claws or heads, a bit goofy for my taste).

IMG-20171202-WA0028.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0027.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0021.jpg

First Stegadon, just bow on this one. The throne for the alpha uses bits from the Saurus Guard, not really any conversion work on this one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    HeirofCarnage, Warden, Aginor and 3 others like this.
  2. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Some more pics (sorry for the quality, but my phone camera is the best I have xD).

IMG-20171202-WA0014.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0017.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0015.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0016.jpg

Magnetized Stegadon with blowpipes or EOTG. Wanted to give this one a bit more movement, ended up repositioning 3 of the legs to give the impressions it is charging towards the enemy. Quite pleased with how he turned out.

IMG-20171202-WA0029.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0030.jpg

Standard Sunblood and Eternity Warden.

IMG-20171202-WA0011.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0023.jpg

And here is my skink priest/starpriest converted from the skink oracle. The staff is made from the spear for the oldblood/scarvet on carno, a top standard piece from guard and a banner from the knights sprue.

HeirofCarnage, Warden, Aginor and 2 others like this.
  3. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

And last batch of images, my three final characters for now.

IMG-20171202-WA0006.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0007.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0010.jpg

Scarvet on cold one, made from the plastic oldblood on foot with a carno rider head and some more bits here and there.

IMG-20171202-WA0018.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0019.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0022.jpg IMG-20171202-WA0012.jpg
    Scarvet on carno. A bit of repositioning on the left hand and right leg, also used the troglodon tail for more variation. Gave him a collar from the trog too, and changed up the position of the spikes on the throne.

IMG-20171202-WA0020.jpg

And last is a WIP kitbash for an oldblood on foot, from the spare bits of the carno rider, a carno tail, saurus guard shield and some spikes and horns trimmed from a stegadon crest.

Hope you like it!!

HeirofCarnage, Warden, Aginor and 4 others like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Good start and you have a good amount of painting to get through :)

Lherad likes this.
  5. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Thanks Crowsfoot, and yeah, a lot of painting to do!

Here goes the finished Oldblood on foot. First time sculpting scales, I am pretty happy with how it turned out in the end. Greyscale images to hide GS work =P. You can see the original photos below.

BN1.jpg
    BN2.jpg
    BN3.jpg

I hope to be able to post some images of the miniatures I have finished painting and basing (10 warriors, 5 knights and a carno) later today or tomorrow.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Not bad at all!
    Especially like that priest conversion.

Lherad likes this.
  7. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Thanks Aginor =)
    Finally I took some photos of my painted stuff!! Not the best photos around, still trying to focus right (and that home made setup sucks xD). Damm cameras. So, 10 warriors, 5 knights and an oldblood on carno!

I'm going on vacation now until sunday, so I wont be posting any updates, but I'll talk a bit about why I chose that colour scheme when I return.

Cheers everyone!

_DSC0276.JPG _DSC0280.JPG _DSC0286.JPG _DSC0301.JPG _DSC0305.JPG _DSC0315.JPG _DSC0261.JPG _DSC0267.JPG _DSC0264.JPG

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Excellent stuff ;)

I really like the strong contrast between your colours, striking but yet warming, the spot highlight really help bring them to life and I really like the worn drum skin.

The reds and pinks of your riders tie in nicely with the red/pink of the open mouths of their mounts, the jade weapons tie in with the mounts scales really well done, same with your Carny, really like the scheme.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    HeirofCarnage and Warden like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Ok I see you definitely don't need painting advice from me as your stuff is a lot better than mine.
    Good work!

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Same from me! I just add this: l really like the warpaint on your saurus... really gives them this kind of tribal warrior vibes...

Aginor likes this.
  11. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

First off, thank you guys for the comments!

I plan to give all my Seraphon warpaints, in yellow and red, with different patterns and styles depending on the unit. For example the warriors have red markings on their crests/face and a line with some geometric pattern going down both sides of their backs, and a yellow stripe on their snout (I marked the alpha different by adding that yellow pattern to the crest too). The knights have red and yellow stripes on their backs, and markings of both colours on the crests. For the skinks im thinking about face paint and mostly designs on their backs too.

I got inspired to do it from playing TW Warhammer 2 (love the style they went for with our beloved lizards). Glad you like it =)

So, finally I came back from vacation and I have begun work on the first 5 strong Guard unit, and the skink Priest.

_DSC0274.jpg

_DSC0275.jpg

_DSC0279.jpg

_DSC0277.jpg

I also got myself a Slann Starmaster off ebay (one must always have a toad =P).

Once I get these painted ill move on to the three Terradons/rippers. I'm still doubting about a colour scheme for the terradons, I thought about doing something like this (which is a quite traditional colour scheme):

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20171001164524&path-prefix=es

Or... going more alien-like with something inspired from Avatar:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/9c/f3/129cf341fbe27da3192186e4a34d2378.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/86/83/598683d420a68fd9fbc2d6ce9b690f15--creature-design-alien.jpg

I would love to know your opinions!

Cheers!

12. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Those are awesome!

13. Aginor
    Slann

Great work!
    About the Terradons I think I like the second one best.

14. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Finished painting the Saurus Guard and the Priest, and started work on the Terradons (just basecoated, nothing to show yet). I've finally decided to paint them with the colors of a woodpecker (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...pg/1200px-PileatedWoodpeckerFeedingonTree.jpg) but using the types of marks that the banshees from Avatar have. Hope it comes out nicely!

Here goes the pics (phone camera quality =S)

IMG-20171219-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20171219-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20171219-WA0012.jpg

Pretty happy with how the Guard look, I'm tempted to buy some more and convert them to saurus warriors! (I plan to proxy guard as warriors with spears anyway XD)

IMG-20171219-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20171219-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20171219-WA0009.jpg

I am really happy with how the Priest turned out. I decided not to go heavy with the warpaint this time, but I'll be doing more extensive markings on other skinks.

And finally, I couldn't resist painting this little fella...

IMG-20171219-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20171219-WA0006.jpg

Decided to paint him/her in a contrasting scheme to the Terradons.

Cheers!

15. Aginor
    Slann

Great stuff!
    Those weapons are superb and the war paint really adds details to those guys. Very nice!

Captaniser and Lherad like this.
  16. Sunpriest
    Skink

Sunpriest Member

OwO That priest is beautiful. Same with the carnosaur.

Captaniser and Lherad like this.
  17. kable
    Skink

kable New Member

what colors did you use on the jade weapons? I can't seem to make my jade look as great as yours?

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  18. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Speaking in citadel terms:

- Basecoat with Stegadon Scale Green, then wash with Nuln Oil.

- Then three passes of brightening on the edges , "veins" and scratches: first off with Kabalite Green, then with a 1/1 mix of Kabalite and Screaming Skull and then Screaming Skull as a fine highlight.

- To unify the highlights and the shade I then glaze over all the jade parts with watered down Kabalite, and finally I do a very small highlight with Screaming Skull once again on the most prominent parts.

Hope it is useful =).

I did some testing for patterns on one Terradon, colors are washed so both the red and the cream will be brighter than they are, but I would love to know your opinion! The black has also a blueish hue that doesn't come through yet (I hope that highlinting will bring it out).

IMG-20171220-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20171220-WA0015.jpg

Cheers!!

Toltecatl, n810, Crowsfoot and 6 others like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

It looks maybe a tad too dark now on the body (which swallows a few details) but I think the highlights will bring it up a bit again.
    The wings look magnificent! :)

Lherad likes this.
  20. kable
    Skink

kable New Member

I really like your painting style. the only thing I would do is maybe try to "lighten" the black edges. it kind of looks like the edge of the wings are burned. but other than that the colors and the pattern are great.

Warden, Lherad and Captaniser like this.