1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, the Cold One Models Suck - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sleboda, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Hey,

Has anyone got any good ideas for alternative Oldblood+Cold One models? The current GW model is ass-tastic and I can't bring myself to paint it despite how awesome it is in the game.

2. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Depending on how confident you are at green stuff-ing, you could do a few things.
    My first one was just an over-decorated cold-one rider with a spiffed up base, but if i were going to do another one, I'd use the dark elf cold one and the carnosaur oldblood. Either that, or the legs of the cold one riders and the torso of a temple guard (they're chunkier). If I didn't have access to the carno old blood head, I'd do something similar to what I did for my last conversion (see signature).

3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

the older metal models are better, but still not amazing.

theres a cold one monster model in the storm of magic range that i'm sure you could use if you fancy a little converting, or dark elves of course.

the champion model from the old box is decent tho. its what i use. i like the fat bellied cold ones.

4. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Find some model dinosaurs and use them instead?

5. Centurion
    Skink

Centurion New Member

The two things that put me off these models are the heads and the 'hands' on the cold ones. The closed mouth heads look ok but the open ones just look like a friendly dog running up to give a big sloppy kiss.

Does anyone think swapping the 'hands' for the genestealer rending claws might work perhaps? (Most nid players will probably have spares) Not sure on a convenient swap for the heads though.

6. PizzaSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

PizzaSaurus New Member

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13595

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

8. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

I was gonna do up a unit of 5-6 just to have and also a pair of Old-Bloods/Scar-Vets as well.

Plan?

Dark Elf Cold One
    Temple Guard heads
    Cold One Riders bodies
    w/various conversions for each rider(weapons, shields, the whole getup)

But all of that would have to wait until I get back to the states, gotta get them Icebloods back up and painted.

9. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

Found a great one. Only if I could remember the web sites name...

10. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

I got a hold of a couple of 5th ed "Godzilla" Cold Ones, using greenstuff you can fit the new riders ontop of them fairly easy. Just use some bits (skulls etc) to close the gap, or file the cold one down. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

11. havik110
    Saurus

havik110 New Member

I have found the best combo to be the old Godzilla cold one riders and the Dark elf cold ones...

of course this gets expensive but it looks the best to me.

PizzaSaurus wrote:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13595

IMG_1206.jpg

That is the metal rider on the newish dark elf cold one. as for the cold one, you need to shave down its saddle and do a little green stuff for gaps. but the way the old metal legs fit right on the top and look better to me, you can change the weapons arms as the riders come with shields on their arms and if you want to do scar vets you might not want shields.

I just got 15 of the old models at a game store and am in the process of doing exactly this.

ill post as soon as i have a good looking product.