1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Hunted, Jun 17, 2010.

?

New world champions?

1. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brazil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Germany

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. England

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Argentina

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. The Netherlands

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Ghana

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ivory Coast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Well, the world cup is on since a while

and we didn't even had our own world cup thread!
    That's no way to live, is it?

Anyways;
    Germany has impressed, sorry Strewart...poor aussies. (and DON'T blaim it on the dutch coach....:))
    France has failed, as usual with that trainer. Tonight they play vs Mexico, let's see what happens.
    Argentina is doing very good, to my surprise at least. With Maradonna as a trainer, pfft...just check out some news on him over the last few weeks. Makes for good comedy!
    And finally; Switszerland. Boy oh boy, they are surely the new favorits after beating Spain!

Last but not least; the poll.
    Since you can only put in 10 options, I decided to go with these. Some of you might disagree, but I believe that our new world champion is part of this list.
    Me? The Netherlands. Not only since I myself am Dutch, but we have such a good offence...
    And a goalie which cán handle the shots from that swirling ball (I trust him!)

Happy discussion,

The Hunted

2. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Lustria-online are proud supporters of the ENGLISH FOOTBALL TEAM!

3. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Heh,
    I hope that didn't say in the terms&conditions...."Any member of Lustria-Online is automatically supporter of the English national football team"...

Just wait until Rooney gets injured, or has a bad day. I'm curious what will happen to our English friends, as I'm not overly impressed with your forwards (bar Rooney ofcourse!). And your goalie is well...doubtful?
    Defense and midfield are just supreme.

You will be present on Euro2012, right? ;)

The Hunted

4. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

I'm From America and I'm still rooting for England lol :)

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I thought the French were on the way out the door with a draw and a loss so far? Also surprised to not see Portugal on the list. I guess their problem is same as Ivory Coast, in the same group as Brazil and only got a draw first game.
    England I don't think so really. I haven't watched them play though.

I'm not going to solely blame Aus loss on the ref, because realistically we didn't have much chance anyway and were definitely outplayed, but I did think he made a few crap decisions.

Anyway, I guess I don't really know enough about it at the moment to have a good shot at the overall winner.

6. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

France still has a chance, if Uruguay beats mexico and france themselves beat South-Africa by more than 2 goals, it's France that proceed.
    Portugal...I just don't see them winning! Granted, they have some good players. But as a team? not so much..

And well, I can't just put out an all-european/south-american list, can I?

The Hunted

7. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Well, we can say our goodbyes to France! And unfortunately: South-Africa...
    this also accounts for Nigeria, Cameroon, North Korea and Honduras.

I'm pretty curious what will happen with the French team when they get back home...

The Hunted

8. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

I'm pretty curious as to what will happen when the North Korean team when they get back home...

9. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Wow, That Argentina vs Greece game was pretty intense.

10. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

You guys are cool... I cant vote for denmark

11. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

lol He only put teams that had a realistic chance of winning it all ;)

12. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Well we took somebodys spot in the world cup once because of civil war and we won... doesn't that show skills? btw I love the Fifa song Waving Flags :D

13. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I understand this topic has died down a little bit...thanks to the exit of the England squad...
    Boy o boy! I won't go into the details to much, but the boys from england didn't perform at all. Or so it seemed.
    ;)

The Hunted

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Do you know what the difference between England and a teabag is?

The teabag stays in the cup longer. :D

Germany is starting to look like the biggest player this cup to me...

15. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

That call in the England/Germany game was horrible. Were the goalie blocked it up into the crossbar and in came down inside the goal line, yet bounced up to hit the bar in the exact same spot and then came out lol I understand that do to it hitting the bar twice like that, the refs would assume it went strait down and missed, but come on. Fifa needs to institute use of video replays. Tradition is good up to a point, but eventually it just becomes a robbery, kinda like the off-sides goal Argentina had(Although they would have won either way). It's Kinda like Galarraga's perfect game that was stollen from him in the ninth because of a HORRIBLE call by Jim Joyce(Any Americans know what I'm talkin about?). I like the human aspect, and I understand that humans make mistakes, But as of late in sports they are making way too many to be considered fair.

16. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Ya that was a pretty bad call. But did you also hear that now FIFA is banning replays from even the jumbotrons?? Because it was causing too many fights apparently. So if you miss a play at the stadium then well your out of luck. FIFA needs to get their heads out of their asses. It is not like there are alot of intricate calls in soccer(football I know but I am american so its soccer) like there is in other sports. A replay would take less than a minute or so to tell if someone was offsides, or if it crossed the goal line. And you could also see if some Italian(bad taste I know, but oh well) player flopped a penalty and penalize that player for flopping.

On that topic of the bad call, why doesn't FIFA have goal judges like hockey? Where there is one guy who sits on the line and he never moves giving him the correct angle to make calls like this. Stuff like this should never be an issue.

I just don't see why they want to maintain the human element, that just seems retarded to me. They could also accurately gauge injury time as well. I just can't see a downside besides slowing the game down(maybe 5-10 minutes total per match), which won't happen very often at all. And they could even do something like the NFL(american football) does and give each coach a limited number of challenges to use replay on. I just can't see why FIFA is being so stubborn about it.

It is a once every 4 years deal and they are just not taking it seriously in my opinion. And this is my main reason for not watching soccer all that much, the governing body just doesn't know wtf they are doing.

Sorry I will stop ranting now. :rage:

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah there were a few really crap decisions in the Germany vs England game, and in fact a fair few throughout the whole tournament so far. Even if nothing else they should have some guy watching the live video of the game closely and micked up to the ref who can say 'hang on, that was close! Look at that again on replay'. I can accept the human element and that mistakes advantage both sides and balance out overall, but not counting a goal or giving one that shouldn't be is just wrong in a game where there are usually only a couple throughout the whole game.

FIFA board needs to be replaced be younger people willing to embrace technology a bit at least.

18. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! (dutch for: Yes!)

WE BEAT BRAZIL!

There. It has been said. Now on to Uruguay or Ghana. Then we beat Germany in the final...:D

The Hunted

19. Woutah
    Skink

Woutah New Member

NETHERLANDS IS IN THE FINALS!! :D
    time to kick some spanish ass!