1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. WoC hellcannons.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Bullrocker, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Bullrocker
    Skink

Bullrocker New Member

Hey Guys, I'm starting to play again after a few years of break time. and the only one i can consistenly play against is a Warriors of Chaos player. that bastard :). Hellcannon. what do? he places it as far away as possible and its as strong as a stegadon in close combat and in general makes everything a pain.

Please Help me :)

2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Now I don't know how a Hellcannon works or how strong it is, but chameleons might be a consideration, or just poison in general.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Ahhhh... my beloved hellcannon. I own 3!!

It will take a lot of chameleon skink fire to take it down. The hellcannon boasts a 4+ armour save, 5+ ward save and a 5+ "handler save".

Your best bets at taking it down are...
    • magic such as the pit of shades or purple sun (it's only initiative 1)
    • GW wielding Oldblood/Scar-vet cowboy
    • Kroxigors

4. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

Iceshard Blizzard helps here. It's only allowed to shoot on a 4+ and the -1 to its Ld (multiples stack here) makes it more likely that it fails its caged fury test (chance to be able to shoot 36.1% with -1 Ld).

Last time I faced one I had Tetto and a lvl 1Heavens (both icesharding, one got trough). Vanguarded 2x10 Skirmishers next to my Chamo skinks. The 30 shots did 2 wounds (statistically 1.3). Turn 2 my flying Oldblood (GW, Carpet, AoD) charged in and finished it in 2 rounds of combat (does 1.7 wounds/CC round), taking 1 wound in return (statistically he should take 0.75/ CC round).
    BTW: His turn he actually was able to shoot and centered the shot on my flying Oldblood. Got a hit, but I passed the 4+ Look out Sir (was next to the vanguarded Skirmishers) and only one skink got killed. SO a bit lucky on my side.

Edit: Love the flying Oldblood. Last game vs Ogres he charged the Gutstar in the rear on turn 6. Did 2 wounds, took none back and the Ogres failed their stubborn Ld 8 and he ran them down.

5. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Is the hellcannon classified as a warmachine?

6. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Nah, it is a monster if I recall rightly.

7. Bullrocker
    Skink

Bullrocker New Member

Wow, thanks guys! never thought of flying oldblood. i have deep fears of running anything skink related near it, because of the -1 LD panic test caused when shot at.

8. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

And thats why they can't pivot in the shooting phase. So If no line of sight, then no shooting at it ;) Some WOC players forget this.

Near it is good, as the minimum range is 12". So if you for example have Tetto and vanguard skink units 12" and then get first turn and march towards the Hell cannon, you should be within its minimum range (but he might be able to charge u of course, which isn't to bad, as you can stand and shoot and or flee, and he can't shoot anymore and is closer to your lines).

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Correct, it's classed as a monster.

The flying oldblood does very well here. Carpet, Armor of Destiny and a Great Weapon. Strength 7 with a 2+ armor save and a 4+ ward!

I wouldn't worry about that at all. If your opponent is wasting his hellcannon shots on your skinks... let him! The hellcannon should be used to shoot at far more valuable targets; so if he is shooting at your chaff, they're already doing their job.

Scalenex likes this.