1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Wizards in combat...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Caeldan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

So, maybe someone can correct an assumption for me.

Somewhere along the line, I got it in my head that if a wizard is in close combat, they are unable to cast spells - period.
    However, from reading the rulebook - the only thing I can pull out is the rule preventing spells being cast on units in close combat (unless it affects the wizard only, or specifically states that it can be cast in close combat.... which then implies that casting in close combat is allowed).

Is this correct? A wizard in combat can cast spells, just not on his own unit - unless the spell specifically states close combat allowed. Or am I missing something somewhere else?

2. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Here is my understanding of the rules:

Wizards in combat may cast spells. Magic missile spells follow the rules for shooting, thus they can't be cast by a wizard in combat or into combat. (A Slann in a Temple Guard unit may cast magic missiles if the Temple Guard are fighting, as long as he is not fighting himself and he targets an unengaged unit.) Non- missile spells may be cast into combat only if the spell's rule says it can, though there is some gray area on the specific wording for some spells.

The wizard's own unit may be the target of his spell as long as the rules permit it. If line of sight is required, and the wizard is in the front rank, then he can't actually "see" his own unit and can't cast on them- example being a skink priest trying to cast celestial shield on the unit he is in. A Slann in Temple Guard has a rank of models in front of him, thus he can "see" his own unit. Portent of Far, on the other hand, does not require line of sight, and may be cast freely into the wizard's own unit.

That sound about right to everyone?

3. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

What Gor-rok said.

Though I believe small target casters have line of sight blocked if they are in close combat. That being said, large target casters can see over the engaged models and can cast out of combat then.

4. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

A good point. If you need line of sight for the spell, and aren't large, you'll only see the guys you are fighting against. A spell like Comet of Cassandora that doesn't need LOS can still be used though, and cast out of combat.

5. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Thanks.
    I think I must've just misconstrued the magic missile part of casting into all spells.

Now to just figure out how close combat in general works (but that's for another thread).