1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Why Gor-Rok is awesome

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by DonkeyHotep, Feb 24, 2009.

1. DonkeyHotep
    Temple Guard

DonkeyHotep New Member

He's stubborn.

Basically, that's what makes him good, is that he doesn't need to be in a unit at all. He is so tough, that most missile weapons and even spells are fairly ineffective against him, and he can stand up to a full Brettonian lance BY HIMSELF. I use him as a great tarpit unit, since even with losing every combat he will almost certainly hold against things that don't cause fear.

To Wound him, averages.

216 str 3 hits

27 str 4 hits

18 str 4 AP

8 str 5 hits

4/9 str 6 hits

125/216 str 7 hits

25/36 anything higher

It becomes readily apparent that Gor Rok is really just a big bully, not super great at stopping huge characters, but can just sit and wall something in the mid to small zone, especially things that rely on the Charge to be strong, like... all non WOC+Daemon cavalry, chariots, and especially feeble archers.

A huge point of contention is whether or not his Shield of Aeons gives him cover. The theory is that a defended obstacle gives you hard cover, so people would take -2 to shoot at him on top of the skirmisher penalty. Now this is some beardy stuff to ask GW about.

Another question is whether cavalry that flee through him take impact hits, since they would be moving through an obstacle.

2. Revien
    Cold One

Revien New Member

My one time using him led to his quick demise against a unit of 7 chaos warriors. Unless I am reading the rules wrong he doesn't appear to be that amazing.

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I have had somewhat success with him before. I tend to use a normal Oldblood instead for anything under 2250.

4. Doom Lizard
    Saurus

Doom Lizard New Member

Rev dont take this wrong but i pray you were using him wrong. We used him in a "red-rover-esque" game where all you had to do was get someone through but you had to kill your target to get through. no scr to help you. With that in mind we threw Roqy out there all by his giant gnarled albino loansome and he bashed his way through anything that can in range. Dark elf spears. High elf spears, and an Errant knight lance. Keep the static combat rez from piling up and this guy is so much fun.

5. Putros
    Skink

Putros New Member

Gonna point out, he isnt an osbtacle, he counts as defending and obstacle. The shield only affects units charging him.

6. Revien
    Cold One

Revien New Member

My battle went something like this
    Me:
    Gor'rok

Him:
    6 Chaos warriors w/ halberds
    Festus(gives poison and regen)

Gor'rok charges and attacks with 2 hits, then reroll for 3 hits. 3 wounds, all fail AS, but two pass Regen save, so only one dies. Two warriors retaliate, scoring 1 poisoned hits and two normal hits. One normal hit fails to wound but the other gets through the reroll, so two wounds. Gor'rok fails both 5+ AS and dies. :(

Maybe it was just a bad day for the lizards, because Tehenhauin, Chakax, and Gor'rok died in this battle. Only Tetto'eko manages to scrape a win with a Comet.

7. anton
    Skink

anton New Member

Should have challenged, WOC cant refuse them.

8. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

if he had festus... he was supposed to issue a challenge due to the Eye of the Gods rule

9. Revien
    Cold One

Revien New Member

All his characters MUST issue a challange? well thats interesting. What about unit champions?

10. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

champions are characters so it should affect them too.

11. Vagrant Benthos
    Skink

Vagrant Benthos New Member

I lack my WoC book since I am at work (I know, posting while working; sinful), but I am certain that a model from ever WoC unit must issue a challenge if they are able. However, since you can only issue one challenge, I believe a canny player could have his unit champion issue the challenge and keep his hero in the unit to massacre your models.

12. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

they have to have the Eye of the Gods rule in their stat line to have to issue a challenge or have to take a challenge

13. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

If the WoC army takes a War Shrine, then all champions get the eye of the gods rule and must issue and accept challenges. Without a war shrine, I'm pretty sure they don't need to issue challenges.

14. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

hes pretty good espically as a hero,

i used him, and he got charged by a bret lance formation,
    the bret player cried when he relised his was striking at strenght 5 :p

15. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

wait! brettonian knights got S5?
    That's extreme!

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Nah, even the Grail knights only have str4 base. Most of them are str3 base.