1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. What penalties does a stegadon get when it fires?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kai-Boq, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Kai-Boq
    Skink

Kai-Boq New Member

The FAQ states that the stegadons weapon is like a war machine, so what penalties does it get?

Fireing at skirmishers/single U1 model?
    Move and shoot?
    Multi-shot?
    Long range?
    Stand and shoot?

Thx :droid:

2. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

Both weapons use the crew's Ballistic Skill for To Hit. They also use the same To Hit modifiers. So to address your list:

Firing at skirmishers/single U1 model? -1 To Hit
    Move and shoot? -1 To Hit
    Long range? -1 To Hit
    Stand and shoot? Not possible, see the FAQ.

Multi-shot?
    This one is debatable and only applies to the Giant Blowpipe, of course. Nowhere in the profile does it say "multiple shots" (the key to invoking the -1 To Hit penalty for Multiple Shots rule) but obviously the blowpipes are shooting multiple shots. Unlike the Multiple Shots rule, you are also unable to choose a single shot in order to avoid the penalty. I personally think this was written to be played without the -1 To Hit penalty. I can definitely see there being potential argument over it though.

Good question. What do you wall think?

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah it needs to have a rule for multishot for it to get -1 for that, so by the same token razordons don't suffer from multi-shot though they make specific mention of the fact that they don't.

The howdah weapons suffer from all the same penalties that everyone else does to shoot.

4. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Does the giant bow really get a move-and-shoot penalty when it is the stegadon moving, not the skinks?

5. strewart
    OldBlood

It is the base that is the important thing, not the visual model. The base of the model is moving, thus the whole model is counted as moving. You cannot have different parts of a model moving or not moving, otherwise wouldn't that same logic apply to chariots? Most of their crew have bows. Or what about standard cavalry? Technically the mount is moving but the rider is not, ruleswise the model is moving.

Even though the howdah is bigger, think about the amount of wobbling and movement you are going to get on it with the steg lumbering along, not exactly easy to aim a weapon straight.

6. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Aha, thank you.

Maybe if the steggie tried to tiptoe...

7. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

If you play me i'll let your stegadon tip-toe mate. If you forfeit your impact hits. No worries...

8. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Tiptoe.....? Umm.... Wouldn't that also shake it up anyways? The stagadon would have to glide across the ground for it to not shake... And even then, your view of the enemy is still always changing... Not exactly beneficial to aiming...

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Just attach wheels to the steg, that'll make the ride smoother. :)

Skink 1: Hey we've got this bolt thrower. it can reach the enemy before almost all their weapons can, from almost anywhere, its great! Where shall I put it?

Skink 2: Hmm well, somewhere near the back of the army would be nice to protect it, a bit away from the line maybe so it can see to the enemy, perhaps on a hill where it will be nice and stable and able to shoot anywhere...

Skink 1: A hill?!? That gives me a great idea! I'll strap it to the back of this stegadon that is unevenly lumbering along the whole time and heading straight for combat!

Skink 2: .... Yeah mate, you do that.

10. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

Lmao!

Ohhhhh GW logic, will you ever stop amazing your beloved fans, Lol.

11. beardedgecko
    Saurus

beardedgecko New Member

see that still makes no sense. If your only job is to make shots through the enemy with this giant bow, youd be amazinglly skilled at it. Ive seen alot of archers and trick shooters do some amazing precision shots very fast with little preperation, but they know their tools and how they work, which is more improtant than a stable shot. The skinks on a howdah are supposed to be howdah skinks, the guys that only fire the giant bow, and ride the steagdaon all the time. they should not oly not suffer negatives, but should be BS 4. Archers that were archrs back in the old times made incredible shots, because they were trained to, and because they HAD to. :mad: :mad: :mad:

but i digress, no there isnt a minus to hit with te giant blowpipes,because it doesnt have multiple shots.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Well, I agree to an extent. It is like a game; when you first play you can't hit a barn door from point blank. Once you have lots of experience, you are getting slow moving rockets to hit moving targets from a distance where you can barely see them. I guess the keyword here is game-balance and GW trying to make it fair. I think the giant bow is a bit too weak, but from an opponents perspective (since the steg is still worth it) its probably better than it being too powerful by having great accuracy.