1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What happened to Gul'Roks Starhost?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Ritual likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah of course we can still use it. It isn't in the Battletome but it is still included in every Start Collecting box.
    Keep in mind you cannot use it in pitched battles though, it doesn't have a point value.

If your opponent is OK with it you can use it even in pitched battles, with a point value of.... I'd say 150 or so. The ability is pretty great actually.

EDIT: To further elaborate on that:
    It is like the Oldblood's ability, only that you can
    - only move one unit instead of all of them
    - move 5" instead of 3"
    - you can use it while you are in melee!?
    - The models are removed and set up, so beware of Gryph Hounds or so. But you can even move your first row over the enemy line if you wish, so more models can attack in the combat phase.
    - so you can use it to retreat from melee without consequences?! That's great for Knights because they can get their charge bonus again.
    - it is the only bataillon that includes Saurus Warrioirs and doesn't need more than one group of them

Ritual likes this.
  3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

That sounds awesome :) Maybe someone can make a faq with them and ask for a point cost? (Hoping it stays low then)

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

If I'm not wrong, it's not the only battalion that hasn't a listed points value... :(

5. Aginor
    Slann

I don't think they will give it an official points value for matched play.
    If they wanted to have that they would have just included it in the GHB2017

Same applies for many other bataillons from Start Collecting boxes IIRC, those were just meant to be able to play the box contents together.

6. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

I always felt like GW should have provided us with a small point cost(or probably medium sized point cost, I'm just now realizing how powerful this can be) for this battallion, just so we can start using it in pitched battles as soon as we get the Start Collecting! box :/

I mean, new players can't get their hands on the sweet batallions until they invest some more money, would have been cool if you could get a taste of what that is just with the Start Collecting! box. I do realise however that there is open play for this, but it's never quite the same :p

7. Aginor
    Slann

I think the problem with a cheap bataillon would be that it could become a thing that everyone would take in many lists just to get the additional item and the drop number reduction.
    We saw that with SCE and Sylvaneth before GHB2017 and it wasn't good.

8. Meatgrinder
    Skink

Meatgrinder Member

None of the SC! battalions have points costs. Theyre there because youre really supposed to start off playing Open play and Matched is only for advanced players. Theyre a little theme formation to encourage people to get the whole box painted and on the table.

9. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

I played against that guy with his Sylvaneth army. The one who complained that my Seraphon were too strong, and then went with Sylvaneth (lol). He actually said the same thing, said that Sylvaneth "was garbage now", due to the higher point cost of the batallions. Honestly I think he was just powerplaying too much.

However apparently some guy in the UK bought his 2000 points Sylvaneth army for 2000 Euro... Well good for him though ;p

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

this guy doesn't know his own army, let alone the game...

Seraphage likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

For some people an army is either OP or garbage, nothing in between.
    Sylvaneth have been hit with the nerf bat a bit, bit they are still pretty strong.