1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS What am I missing about Engine of the Gods?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by tag8833, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Agree with everything
    @Canas except the weaker part. If he had bigger and thicker horns, they 'd be using him for Stega ;)
    Also, -1 rend 2 damage is nothing close to weak. 2 damage is way better than D3 overall and except 2+rerolling, it is pretty threatening.

The main problems are the ones you described above. Especially the combination of total randomness + 25'' in the HERO phase.

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  2. Slanntastic
    Skink

Slanntastic Member

I agree that Kroak is way better than the engine, probably like 230 points better haha I haven't played with him personally.

Used the ark last night and it did really well, having the snakes go off in every combat is great. So thanks for the recommendation. I ran the thunderquake with EotG and two bastiladons (one with ark and one with solar engine), which was really fun to play and seemed pretty flexible.

Now I want to look at getting some terradons!

HeirofCarnage, Canas and Aginor like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A stegadon has better rend on his horns until he's mortally wounded & has better stomps (*/4+/3+/-/1 vs */4+/4+/-/1) There's no clear reason for it. And yea an EoTG isn't a "weak" behemoth, but it's weird that a normal stegadon is more powerfull than the magical one given that the only difference is that one carries a magical artifact and the other carries a "normal" physical weapon on its howdah.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The engine (back in 8th) was carried only by ancient stegadons. Think to ancient as "old", a dinosaur that may be a revered veteran, with a calm temper (perfect to carry the sacred and precious relic in battle) but now without the powerful energy of the young ones.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Did they have any advantage over the "young" ones? Or was the actual engine just far more reliable/usefull to make up for it? It's a nice bit of fluff, but really kind of pointless in terms of the game (and weird for balancing... the difference isn't big enough to allow for the artifact to be massivly more powerfull than say the skystreak bow)

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

First of all, things are not always similar if you look at the oldhammer versions and compare them to AoS.
    Anyway.
    Stegadons were less strong and less armored than ancient stegadons, however they were faster and delivered more attacks.
    Stegadons carry the great bow, ancient can be equipped with the engine at a much greater cost increase (gaining spells and a magical ward)

Basically (looking at points value), ancient steggies can be more costly than young ones, but a fully upgraded young stegadon was more costly than a basic ancient one.

HeirofCarnage, Seraphage and Aginor like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Right, sounds like the ancient ones had some extra natural defenses as a trade-off for being slightly weaker offensivly and the engine was far more usefull. Then it makes more sense. It's weird as in AoS that trade-off appears to have dissapeared.

Aginor likes this.
  8. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate on the average of 2.65. My statistics might be off, but for 1d6+1 (cures of fates, each phase) that seems a bit low.

9. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

And doesnt the EOTG gets better/more reliable for the d6 mortal wounds when it gets wounded?

Im still waking up so bear with me but with dice have a normal distribution the odds would increase with two dice rather then three right?
    The preferd outcome is 6-9, with cures of fates it is 5-10. With three dice the average/peek of normal distrubutions lies outside of the prefered outcome with 10.5. Where with 2 dice it lies within, with 7 as average. Now with the slann being able to switch a dice. That would b much better. In public transport so cant do the correct math.

If this is correct it would have been very lovely if it said up to 3 dice, when not badly wounded.
    Will you gamble for the 18+ or take more certainty for the deathbeam?

While now thinking of it, wouldnt it be better if the deathbeam and AoE Whirpool get switched? With 9-14 for the beam with 3 die.
    That way you can beam at good health, and when you would get badly wounded, probably in CC, you could spread the starfire.

Just my 2 cent. Ill have a busy day, so If someone could do the math for me, thats welcome :)

Buldi and Aginor like this.