1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Very Situational Shooting Query and Re-roll Dispel

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Gary_M, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

A couple of queries, one which probably wont affect us much and another which definitely does:

1. If a unit shoots at its target from the rear, if does target count as having/using shields (assuming they have them of course!)? I only ask as I heard a couple of guys arguing about this recently.

2. Assuming we give a slann in our army the ability to reroll the first failed dispel attempt each turn (Sorry can't remember what it's called) do you have to use the same number of dice used in the first attempt?
    I'd say yes, but again have heard others argue to a different conclusion.

Thanks for your help.

2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

1). I've checked the BRB, and can't find anything to do with shooting at the rear of a unit with shields (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The rules state that you can use a shield to defend against shooting attacks, even if you wouldn't be able to do so in close combat (our Temple Guards are a good example of this). That's it.

I'd say the unit can still use shields against shooting attacks from the rear - just assume they're aware that there is a ranged enemy unit nearby /see the shadow of an arrow volley/ on their toes because they're in the open and thus vulnerable to shooting/ have shields slung over their backs, etc.

2). You re-roll with the same amount of dispel dice. It's a *re*-roll, not a fresh attempt at dispelling the same spell.

Hope that helps!

3. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Maybe they've confused this with the parry ruling that states you are not able to get the parry save against attacks made from rear (or flank).

BR
    Agrem

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

the parry save has little to do with the shield and a lot to do with the hand weapon.

5. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

If i remember correctly this shield thing was part of some of the very old warhammer editions (and it is certainly part of some historical wargames), but in the current warhammer edition there is no such rule and the shield works 360 degrees.