1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Updating to AoS: The Second Coming of Xaxlachaq

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by xtapl2, Nov 29, 2017.

1. xtapl2
    Jungle Swarm

xtapl2 New Member

Hi. :)

So, first of all, I lost both the password to my original account, and I can't even remember what email address I used to sign up for it, because apparently I haven't logged in for about six years. ><

I also haven't played Warhammer at all in about three years. Real life just kind of crushed my desire and ability to participate in the hobby, but things have eased up, and now I have time to mess around again.

My army clearly needs some AoS updating, so I'm going to be adding some pieces in the next little bit here. Meanwhile, I'm pulling together a list to learn the game based on what I have, and what's new that I want to paint in the short term.

For reference, here's my 8th edition army.

So what I have to play with are seven truckloads of skinks, 9 Kroxigor, 2 salamanders with handlers, 9 Terradons, 18 Chameleons, 2 skink priests, and a Slann.

The thing I definitely want to paint in the short term is an Oldblood on a Carnosaur (although the Oldblood himself will obviously be a Skink conversion). So that'll definitely enter into the list. I also have quite a few Skinks on Cold Ones already built, so I may use one of those as a Scar Vet on a Cold One. Given that, the list I'm tinkering with right now is:

Oldblood on Carnosaur (maybe with the War Spear?)
    (I think he gets one artifact? I'm thinking Incandescent Rectrices.)

Scar Vet on Cold One
    (Does he also get an artifact? I'm kind of confused on artifacts. If so, Blade of Realities.)

Skink Priest
    (Can he wear Priestly Trappings and a Cloak of Feathers at the same time?)

Skink Starpriest

20 Skinks
    20 Skinks
    10 Skinks

5 Chameleon Skinks
    5 Chameleon Skinks

3 Ripperdactyls
    6 Terradons

So that's 1460, but I can't figure out how to spend 40 points, because of how the points work, so I guess it just is what it is.

I'm wondering about the Skinks (if it's worth it to take units of 20, or to min/max and just pick up the three units of 10 and spend the points elsewhere, because that would give me back 120 points, giving me 160, and I could grab something else good for that amount of points). I'm also wondering if this really shooting-based list is viable, or if I should really be thinking more combat-oriented. Part of me is thinking of picking up the "Start Collecting" box and *shiver* adding some actual Saurus (even though I really don't want to). Another part of me is thinking to start over from scratch and build around the Slann ... but I really want to paint that Carnosaur/Troglodon. :D

Anyway, initial thoughts?

Crowsfoot, Seraphage and Captaniser like this.
  2. GingerGiant
    Skink

GingerGiant Member

40 points = 1 Razordon or Salamander. Also, Slann and Troglodon are besties in my book (bring Vast Intellect so you can cast Curse of Fates on it).

The artefacts are 1 + 1 more per Battalion in your list, which you can distribute to any Hero in your army. Looks like you could run a couple Shadowstriek Starhosts with the list (points providing), so that would get you additional artefacts. The intent with priestly trappings vs. feather cloak is that they are exclusive. In fact, the Starbolt ranged attack is exclusive to the Feather-Cloaked Skink Priest. It describes it in that manner in the unit description. Oldblood on Carnosaur has only one loadout. You get the Sunstone Spear, unless you're actually referring to the Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur, who can wield a War Spear.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Last time I was paying attention the Carnasaur kit and the Start Collecting box were (nearly?) the same price. Therefore, purchase the SC, build the Trog, maybe some Saurus heroes on Cold Ones, and just sell the Saurus you don't want on the sprue. Somebody will want them...&...you will recover some of the purchase price.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The SC box is great value and can be purchased with upto 20% discount from online retailers, any Saurus you don't want can be sold on Ebay, here or elsewhere and you could recoup upto 40% of the SC box if you sell the Knights and Warriors.

I've done a tutorial on building extras from the box and @GingerGiant has a Tut on what to build etc

http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...rom-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/how-to-start-collecting-seraphon.20575/

GingerGiant, Aginor and pendrake like this.
  5. Xtapl
    Saurus

Xtapl Member

Quick update:

#1: I got my account back. :D

#2: I did end up buying the "Start Collecting" box last night. I went in to buy the Troglodon, and the guy at the counter was like, "Why on Earth would you buy that?" :D I thought there was only a Carnosaur in the box, and I wanted to be able to build a Troglodon, but he told me all the parts are on the same sprue, so that was the tipping point. I'll probably end up building the Saurus stuff eventually ... or just selling them off, because Skinks rule and Saurus suck. :D

#3: I decided to maybe start off this new adventure by bringing Xtapl to the table after all. So now my list (theoretically) looks like:

Slann (with an artifact)
    Skink Priest with Trappings and an artifact

20 Skinks (javelins and shields - but whatever the new name is now :D )
    20 Skinks (same)
    10 Skinks (blowpipes or whatever the new name is)

5 Chameleons
    5 Chameleons

Troglodon

6 Terradons (although I suppose these could be Rippers, but I think Terradons sound more useful)

Shadowstrike (6 Terradons showing up out of nowhere and murking one of the enemy's units sounds SUPER fun)

That still puts me just short of 1500 points, but I can't spend just 20 points, so I guess it is what it is.

Thoughts on the new list?

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The 20-20-10 grouping of Skinks is a bit of a waste since Skinks are really great if they are 40 in one unit.

In fact: playing 40-10-10 is only 20 points more expensive...

I would also merge the two Chameleon units together. Then play the chameleons and the biggest Skink unit as the Shadowstrike.

I have played that exact list at 1.5k and won.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Coronal Shield
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (200)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    6 x Terradon Riders (240)
    - Starstrike Javelins
    10 x Chameleon Skinks (240)

Behemoths
    Troglodon (180)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (170)

Total: 1490 / 1500
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 111

Xtapl and GingerGiant like this.
  8. Xtapl
    Saurus

Xtapl Member

This is actually really smart. It also lowers my number of drops to 6, which probably helps in games of this size.

I think I'll try this out and see. As a long-time 40k player, I'm a little worried about how to move and use a unit of 40 25mm round bases, but I guess I'm thinking of that unit as a shooting Death Star, so that should help me tactically...

9. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Do NOT consider the skinks x40 as a shooting Death Star, it will not work out this way :p
    Fast math : 40 attacks 3+ (as long as they are 30+ ) / 4 + : 27 to wound -> 13 - 14 wounds to be saved without rend, On a unit with 4+ save and no rerolls or cover : 7 wounds will go through or so.

Their role will be map control due to the - before game - movement. You can redirect them in a way to block your opponents plan and so on ! Also really annoying and will probably feel way more threatening than they actually are for him :p

GingerGiant likes this.
  10. GingerGiant
    Skink

GingerGiant Member

Seconded. They're not a Death Star, they're just really cheap wounds. They will die in droves if they get stuck in melee, so use Wary Fighters to deny your opponent attacks.

Seraphage likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

With an Astrolith Bearer or as part of a Shadowstrike they get much better!

Had them kill a Maw-Krusha once. That was back when the Skink Chief still existed though so that was one buff more.

12. Xtapl
    Saurus

Xtapl Member

Thanks for the help! That will come in handy...

By the way, started updating the painting blog for the first time in forever, if you're interested..