1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. tournament report.

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by blackhawk, Mar 2, 2009.

1. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

saterday i had my first tournament with my stegadon army. it worked out great.
    here are 3 small reports of the 3 battles.
    my list:
    chief on steggie with warspear
    2 lv 2 preist on eotg with 2 scrolls and rod of storm and diadem.

2x skirmish skinks
    1 ranked skinks
    1 stegadon
    3 razordons

1ste battle was against a vampire with alot of zombies ( well no to much iether), a grave guard unit, soem dire wolfs, and 2 units of wriaths.
    things really went fast in this battle, except his magic. he had quite lot with a lv 4 and 2 lv 2s and a cart.
    i wasnt afraid of the raising zombes thought. if they were getting smashed, they would eventually die all die.

2nd turn i managed to blast with both engines and a forked lightning 3 and 2 wraiths. the last one pinned a unit of skirmish skinsk for the enitre battle, managing to get them fleeing the last turn ( not really intresting :p )
    and my chief and normal stegadon charged a 20 strong zombie unit. ( behind them he had raised another unit of 20 zombies).
    killing like 15 on the impact hits and crumbling the whole unit in one turn ( yeah i rolled evil the whole tournament with my skink chief impacts) this meant the normal stegadon overran in the raised unit and the chief went overran just slightly beside the unit.
    in my next turn i charged in with a engine and terradons in the locked zombie unit ( which was kind of same size becouse of my impact hits and he be raising again)
    again rolling 6 on my new impact hits meaning the whole unit vapourised again ( yay 50 points...lame)
    the dire wolfs had been been shot by my skinks ( who were later locked by th eleft over wraith) and killed 3 of the 5.
    he being smart moved the wolves behind a building and left them there. ( negating me points).

the grave guard with lv4, lv 2 and a wraith king charged my razordons who killed 1 ata stand and shoot ( 5+ arms and 4+ ward ie banner) and got sluaghtered.
    on the other hand my other engine charged the ghouls with a necro.
    killing the whole ghoul unit by engine power/impact/attacks and CR except for just the necro ( argh needed one more kill)

at the end of the battle he had one unit of skinks an razordon unit and me having almost everything except one wraith, halve unit wolfs and his like 1000 points worth grave guard unit ( inc characters).
    Minor victory for me.

Unit of the match: skink chief with stegadon: killing massively zombies at the charged meaning he didn't really got pinned so he would be flanked and the like :)

the new battle was agaisnt another VC:

though a different list, less wizards and less models, but he did had 5 blackknights, 5 blood knights ( ouch) and a coach.

i started again and moved everything.
    in his turn i realised i did a mis calculation on the coach movement, meaning one of my engines( had joined ranked skinks) was charged by it and the blood knights moved in for the kill
    i lost but stayed at a roll of 6 ( pfew) my other engine charged in and my chief charged a block of zombies.
    the engine damage power both went of just giving the coach 1 wound ( argh T6 and wardsave)
    a priest shot a forked lighting at the blood knights killing one ( yay for me).
    the impact hits manage to do one wound to the coach, the combat ended by a draw. ( stagadons own attacks didnt do any thing the whole combat).
    the chief rather destroyed again all the zombies in one go ( leaving 2 left wwich vapourised.
    i overran in safety of the woods ( ie blackknightss).
    razordons on the other hand got charged by the black knigths in the flank and zombies in the front. managhed to stadn and shoot 3 whole zombies ( lame)
    the also got slaughtered. the black knights overran and so far they couldnt see the engine vs coach combat and so i to turn around to assist next turn.
    on the other hadn the blood knights had charged in killing all the skinks and letting one of my engines flee ( the one that was in the ranked skinks). and got overrun ( one steggie down, 3 to go).

my turn. i managed to put my chief at theflank of the generals unit and my normal steggie at save distance in front of the generals unit.

he turned to face my skink chief.

my engine went off and killed the 5 blackknights at once ( 6 hits, 6 wounds) but again did one wound ot the coach ( which was like healed back and again wounded etc. it didnt really matter)

my chief and normal steggie slaughtered the whol eunit around the general making him go poof.
    yes crumbling time!!.
    his remainign zombie she had raised somewehere said poof but the blackknights and ghouls stayed.

well evenrtually his coach crumbled to and my normal steggie charged the ghouls with a vampire. but fled back and got ovverun.
    the black knights killed the other engine.

another minor loss.
    i had lost my razordons, all my skinks 2 engines and a normal steggie.
    he had left was blood knights and a vampire with ghouls.

unit of the match: skink cheif again, massacring again a whole unit zombies by himself and causing crumbling to his army by killing his general by CR.

the last battle went against a bretonnian. who already started to complain he couldnt do anything against my army... he had 2 errant units ( without errantry banner , like WTF!!!) 2 realm units, one joined bby BSB and the other by general. a unit of grail knights 2 units of bowmen and 1 unit of @arms.

well he already started to deploy quite stupid.
    he put both his bowmen in front of my main focus ( i deplopyed everything close to each other at one flank) joined by errants and BSB realms.
    the other halve went on the other side of the table (????)
    i started becouse of him praying.
    moved everything up to a save distance. and my raxzordons to some hardcover feature in the middel of the table.
    killed some peasants with magic but that was it.
    he move his other flank as far as possible.
    and his errants agaisnt my main focus moved a bit. his peasants marched in so that he could redirect my charges (but he came inches short to really threaten)
    he shot one wound of a stegadon with hisbowmen ( lucky shot :p )

the rest of the army moved a bit sideways and being all tactical.
    with the normal stegaodn charing on of the peasants who fled. ( and later never returned)
    my razordons fired at his bsb realms, killing 4 knights with 24 hits ( :O)
    this unit panicked and fled of the table ( ok...that was quite f*cked up for him, cause now i was realling owning) this flank
    his errants didn't choose to charge the chief, and hedl on their impetious but fled becouse of terror right of the table. ok. there was one unit of peasant fleeing and a other one was degraded to 7... the rest was all gone.
    my engine turned around hiding behind the hard cover feature for the upcominb grails an generals realms.
    my razordons went around the corned and shot the @arms to bits ( leaving 2 of them, but he said you can have them and took the whole unit of the table )
    my skirmishing skinks leaped infront of those 2 knight unit.
    my terradons dropped rocks on his single mounted mage killing it instantly.
    the chief and normal stegadon turned around to assist the engines.
    his grails charged the skinks who fled but got caught leaving his grails open for 1 engine wchich did charge.
    he broke out of combat but ran f the table.
    leaving my stagedon ( in unit of ranked skinks) open for a rear charge of his general and flank of his errants.
    i chalenged and he did only 1 wound on my skink crew and i didnt do anything in return iether.
    6 other ranked skinks got killed and i stubbornly stayed.
    at the moment i said i would charge in with my other engine in the rear of the realms he quit and gave me a massacre.

so i ended 8 of 20.

unit of the match" razordons panicking the bsbs realms and killing 2 whole units of peasants was quite pleasant.

my conclusion is that this army lacks the attacks to do much damage and i really need the impact hits and engine power to hold myself steady in combat and hopefully win.
    im not sue of the razordons but i think tey have quite much potential in this army. giving me the massed ranged attacks i need before i get in combat ( ie degrading ranks)
    the stegadon howdah weapons are not used tat much becouse they are mostly locked in combat or running to combat most of the time.
    i dont really killed anything that is worth mentioning with them.

i also lack leadership, but on the other hand stubborn doesnt use generals ld, so mostly i will be testing on LD 6 no matter what.
    my idea of dumping a engine for another chief with the helmet is not a doubt anymore. i don't need it becouse only my skinks and razordons will be using the LD8, and for the rest my army is immune, fear/terror and stubborn.
    only the real ld tests are break tests, and those are mostly done on stubborn 6 or 7.

I'm very happy how this army worked out ( except for the bretonnian player who kept whining becouse of its cheesieness and how he couldn't do anyting against it) and so i don't need to readdept my army and my fully bought army is of good usage. ( i bought all the models at the tournament itself ( except for the 4 stegadons and 3 terradons wchich will be warhawks with skinks)

2. pika82
    Saurus

pika82 New Member

i will be suprised if someone is gonna read that

3. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Acttually you get 1/2 points for a unit at 1/2 its starting points. Good job though glad to see lizards doing so well, although the bret player shouldn't complain the brets in lance formation getting the charge are devastating to any army plus they have a 1+ save on most guys.

4. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

So effectivly negating half points. But it was Not really worthy to chase em.

Yeah i know. But the trouble already started with his deployment which was just wierd,odd and stupid. Becouse of this ik could slay one half a time.

Brets have actually a 2+save;)

5. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

This isn't a particularly useful post

6. The Dark Lord
    Skink

The Dark Lord New Member

Neither was that.

Good report, good to see stegadons and skinks owning. :)
    Does it work well with engines joining skink units?
    I may have to try that out once I get my army together (the list is in the army list section).

7. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

well i didn't really had positive or negative experience with the EOTG in the skink unit. so can't really say for now.
    it where against the Blackcoach/blood knighs and the brets the easy kills he could get. and so letting him win combat by kills. on the other hand if he didn't attack the skinks then he would have sliced up the stegadon with his Bloodknights.

you see?

this saterday im going agaisnt fast/hard hitting WOC and dwarf gunline.
    2 very different but armoured armies. so against hte woc i think i will jsut wait for him to come.
    against teh dwarfs just run max distance to them and blast them with the engines while hopefully getting some charges done before im shot down.

agaisnt the dwarfs i get like 2 turns ( 24" distance. 2x 12" march)shooting at me. and with me blasting back at my 2nd turn and charging 3th turn... :rolleyes:

8. callmeHK
    Saurus

callmeHK New Member

nice to know david ^^ Well, I suppose I have no choise xD we'll than I'll just have to ome and get you. ^^

Anyway, nice report, glad to see that the army is working. Though personaly i'dd drop the razardons. 12"range? where you already have 12" charge range. Terradons would do better or peraps even more skirmishing skinks ;)

See ya.

HK

9. Aren
    Saurus

Aren New Member

I did :)

10. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Less of the posting advice please. I'll say whatever the hell I want on my own website. Lustria-Online is a friendly place where people should be able to post battle reports and not have others remark that their posts aren't gonna be read.

11. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Great report! Was wondering though, how many pts was you playing?

12. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

2000 points it was. that is quite normal here in the netherlands.

@callmehk: well razordons just have massive attacks, and that is what i miss in this army. i got enough Highstrength ( or NO AS) to penetrate armour.
    only allot of infnatry and high strength is going to hurt me, and i thought razordosn woudl eb the best against those.
    maybe i will try out the sallies later.

well saterday i had a battle against dwarfs. a quite normal list. but he was more of a beginner and i utterly destroyed him with no effort. and well not to proud of it :p
    then against a other lizard men, with 1EOTG, chief on steggie and normal steggie with support of the carnie, cold ones and skinks.
    i got destroyed, by him. though it was just a game of who gets to charge first. and well he did.
    i also rolled very badly for my magic and razordons, or i would have destroyed his carnie and a stegadon.

then i went with him against CallmeHK with his WOC and a other beginner with orcs.
    and well 7 united stegadons were devestating.... and some didnt even get the charge but got charged :D

in this battle though my razordons and skinks had wiped up 1 spider rider unit, a goblin unit, a giant and almost 2 whole orc units alone.

13. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

hmmm, looks like the razordons is going to be our most unpredictable weapon in that you double the chance of a misscast when they stand and shoot, and they is potentional deadly vs most targets :rolleyes:
    As I get from all the diff. battle rep. it sounds like either they don't do a thing, or they become unit of the match :shifty: guess I'll have to give em a try again..

14. callmeHK
    Saurus

callmeHK New Member

Blackhawk, i'dd still want to play your list 1v1. im convinced that 4 stegadons can be stopped. You fought my ally with orcs where he didn't have a chance vs 4 stegs.

I killen an carnosaur left the lord 1 wound remaining darn.., 1 steg (normal one), a priest on its eog, and a unit skinks. I made mistake charging a eog with my battle standard in a unt, so he had to challenge. My unit was a sitting duck for a chief with spear slowly waggling towards there flank. If i didn't forgot that the whole steg goes along in the challange i'dd have won that side. But still it didnt go bad. Though a horde orc army, with no shooting or magic support as an ally was unfortunate :p

Perhaps ill challenge tom this weekend again to see what my list can do 1v1. ;D

HK

15. Kingin
    Skink

Kingin New Member

Wait the Steggie is with the challange if the Priests get challanged, I thought that it wouldn't but now its his mount geuss he can, but do the other skinks attack the unit?

16. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

@HK: yeah lol it was.
    but maybe the 27th of march we do a 1vs1 game ;) ( but i want to see your list before to ( you know mines now ;) )
    ind orcs where kind of easy to kill, and that not pure becosu ehe was a beginner. orcs aren't really a chalenge for stegs.

@ kingin: yeah the mount follows its rider in a challenge.
    i don't know about the skink crew, but i think they stop fighting at all, becouse they are on the same model but not challenged ( just like chariots) but i guess you can also say the 4 skinks fight the unit, but do they then get their 2+/3+as? if yes, then the enemy is actually attack the stegadon partially :S.....

17. The Dark Lord
    Skink

The Dark Lord New Member

The part about the other crew in a challenge is covered in the book. ;)

18. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member