1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This video captures a typical day of my fluff writing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

A lot of people say. Scalenex, I like your fluff pieces, walk us through your process.

This video was not created by me, but it is pretty accurate for my typical writing day.

Soxii, Ritual, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks about right!

Ritual likes this.
  3. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

I feel you man. I can definitely relate to this too *remembers about the upcoming poetry competition* welp, best get back to writing! So totally not going to get distracted by videos online, or playing dungeons and dragons with friends, or painting my models...

Bowser likes this.
  4. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I wasted far too much time watching these videos. I have a feeling there's some kind of irony or some such there but my brain is filled with stupidness... Love it!

Bowser likes this.
  5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

This seems like a strategy to trick me into doing more internet "research" before I pick up the pen again. How many bad writing advice videos are there?

Curse you Scalenex.

Wolfwerty33 and Bowser like this.
  6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I hate you Scalenex. After months of not aimlessly following YouTube links, I watch this.

Then the rest. Then "Pen and Sword". Then another writer's rant. Then historical sword comparisons (rapier vs katana, anyone?). I finished up 3 hours after bedtime without ever resolving whether a knight, samurai or Viking would win a theoretical "Yo Mama" fight.

And not a word of fiction written.

:mad:

Bowser likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I am allowed to listen to music at work. I'm not the only one who uses YouTube to provide said music. Sometimes my "music" is writing advice videos.

Unfortunately as this video alludes to, there are no quick fixes. The most important thing is set aside interrupted time to write.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Hm, well i'm hit every now and again with a frenzy of writing at the start or very end of the time period I have to write in. Often having little plan other than a rough guess as to the ending. With poetry/lyric writing and background/lore creation one of the people i'm talking to (usually Warlock Matik or Morkskittar from the UE) give me a cue (oft accidently) and I then bash something out in 15-30 minutes. Apparently it's good too. o_O

And then I get stuck in a rutt for a long period of time where nothing I write seems to feel right. For one thing, i'm pretty sure I couldn't write a novel (I did try in a previous NaNoWriMo, but only got about halfway.) Generally, I try and set myself the goal of at least 150 words a night every other week for my Moulder Pitfighters fluff.

Bowser likes this.