1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The start of my Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by RiSi, Dec 27, 2011.

1. RiSi
    Jungle Swarm

RiSi New Member

Hey, not much to see yet but couldnt wait any longer to start a painting log!

Before I start you should know im a fairly slow painter and dont get much spare time to paint, which equals slow updates but il try my best :p

Heres all I have so far, a single Saurus warrior. Quite pleased with the scheme although it wasnt what I had intended when I started. Undecided what colour to do the shield, any suggestions?

DSC014591024x768.jpg

DSC014611024x768.jpg

Got a Stegadon for Christmas and am itching to paint it so that will be next once ive finished the Saurus above.

Let me know what you think, any comments / thoughts much appreciated, cheers.

TMTMTPoS likes this.
  2. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

A green shield might work, but you might want to try out a few different ones because I could see red going well with it too.

3. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

a very nice color scheme, and nice quality of the painting too :)

for the shield, i would try either a green or orange or yellow. a really bright and vibrant color. OR you could do the exact opposite and use a quite dark brown (didnt have a nice font color for this one, but think scorched/bestial brown). purple and brown looks nice together, but it will make the whole thing look much more dull and "natural" than the other options.

also, i would add plenty of green vegetation to the base, unless you want some kind of desert theme.

good work, and liking forward to see more in the future :)
    /T

4. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

The more I look at the model the more I think that a dark greenish shield with some sharper highlights would look really good.

5. RiSi
    Jungle Swarm

RiSi New Member

Thanks for the replies, going with a green shield, was thinking yellow but with all the gold going on it might not look so good. Il post some pics when its done.

Started assembling the stegadon, it goes together nice. There are the obvious join lines, was looking at getting some liquid green stuff, anybody have any experiences with it?

Cheers

6. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

I like them! Keep up the good work. Imo, a green shield will look great and offer the model some contrast. Im looking forward to seeing a finished model.

- Lord Cedric

7. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

Personally have not used the liquid GS myself as I am not so savy with the modeling aspect of the hobby but most of the employees ay my local GW will swear by it. Could defenitly be worth a try and be sure to post pics of the saurus with the shield and of the Stegadon. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Of course GW staff will swear by it.. They are trying to sell it. I have heard mixed reviews, some people say it is crap and others like it. Don't expect miracles, it essentially is paint that works as a bit of a filler if the crack is fairly thin. And they pretty much released the product to fill holes in the resin stuff. Personally I will stick with paint/glue for very small gaps and normal GS for larger gaps, but if you have researched it a bit and think it might be useful then give it a try. Its not really an expensive investment.

9. RiSi
    Jungle Swarm

RiSi New Member

I went with the green shield, very pleased with how it came out in the end, what do you think? Added some grass to the base which I think makes a lot of difference also.

DSC01464.jpg

Going to do some work on my Khador next while assembling the stegadon.

TMTMTPoS likes this.
  10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very cool stuff :)

will the skinks and the "monsters" have the same color, or will they get another theme?

11. RiSi
    Jungle Swarm

RiSi New Member

Will have a different scheme for the different species so to speak, gonna try to have a colourfull army while at the same time keeping them uniformish, dont know how im going to do this though, will see what happens as I go :D

12. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

One way to make them look like a unified force is to paint all their shields the same color.

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Making all your models' bases have a consistent theme is probably the best way to make it look like a unified force. It really does make a big difference. Not to say make them all the same; if it's jungle themed, some might have bushes or static grass, or water effect added, but all have the same ground and banding.

Other things I've seen are making all the 'traditionally' gold regions (bangles, steg platforms, weapon metals) jade instead, or like southlandlizardman said, have same coloured shields.

14. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Love the paint scheme and the green shield contrasts really well with the model.