1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The Poldraken Rex Constellation

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Jamie Searle, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

"Lord Soquala-Astrain left Lustria in his great temple ship enraged. He, and his Slann breatherin, the greatest of the Old One's creations had failed to peotect this young world from the vile eye of Chaos.

Soquala refused all contact, remaining within his ship's command chamber focusing his entire will upon travelling deep into space. He was determind to find the Old Ones, his burning rage had cooled down to a cold fury. He would find the Old Ones and demand of them an answer as to why the Great Olan failed.

For weeks, years and eventually generations none of Soquala's Skink aides saw him. Eventually they all passed away, and almost passed entirely from memory Soquala was so focused on his quest for an answer. No other Slann traveled out in to the depths so far."

From the First Orbit of the Lord Solar, Poldrakens Heart​

So now I've started building Seraphon in ernest. I've put together my first three Ripperdactyls, and as I haven't been able to get outside to undercoat them I've gone on and started on my first Oldblood on Carnosaur.
    [​IMG]
    This is the start of Sol-Qlor riding Starror.
    Hopefully during my DnD session tonight I'll get it looking a little more complete.

As you can see above I've also started workkng out my army's fluff. A Slann who has traveled out a great distance before coming to the Mortal Realms, I hope to reflect this in the army's paint scheme and through the names of the characters.

Please chip in with any thoughts or questions in this blog here whenever you like. I'd love to strenghen my army both on and off the table with other peoples views.

One question I have about 'forum etiquete' on Lustria Online, can I use this one thread for both fluff development and modeling recording?

Thanks, Jay

Bowser likes this.
  2. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Sol-Qlor on Starror is built now. It was no east getting the relatively large led all the way out to the gauntlet, but I'm pleased now.
    [​IMG]
    The red base is just to hint at the plan, I'm aiming for a lava base and was thinking of trying the 'new' method covered on WarhammerTV during advent.

[​IMG]
    You can just make out here a little greenstuff around the hand. I had to cut it open and hollow it out to fit the light in, and still I needed to bulk up one side a little to make it complete again. By the Oldblood's armpit the cable is visible, but I think with paint it's disappear.

[​IMG]
    This back section of leg was so think to drill through I ended up just cutting out a section from the rear, inserting the cable and then greenstuffing over the gap afterwards. Again I think once painted you won't see the difference.

[​IMG]
    Inside the base of course it the battery and led kit, I'm using the Orange 3mm set from Powered Play.

Next up is a little liquid greenstuffing around the head and neck to fill in a couple of cracks I've seen and then onto painting. Exciting!

Please, I'd love C&C.

Thanks Jay

3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

WOW!!
    That carnosaur is amazing!! Even without the led It looks awesome. The huge base really makes it stand out.
    How do you plan to make the base? Is it going to be themed in a place with lava for a long time (with grasses burn or non existent), or with grass and plants on top? Because seeing the hight at which you made the ground I think it would be possible to say that the earth just cracked open and it just raised the temperature, but no enough as to kill vegetation. (just telling this because I prefer lizardmen in the jungle with lots of vegetation around ;))

Did you also do some conversion work on the ripperdactyls? Post them!!!

Awesome carnosaur!! 10/10

Jamie Searle likes this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

That is the most imaginative curse I have heard for a while...

Etiquette is for wimps is for people who don't respect each other. A little bit of double post-ery won't get you banned, and we have many fine authors who paint and fine painters who auth.

But, for what it is worth (not a lot) my advice is you could use this thread to display your painting WIP and your completed fluff sections AND run a parallel thread on the Fluff Subforum where you post your completed painting shots and use them for a focus for discussion for your developing fluff. That way you get the best of the arty-type-lizards collaborating and enjoying your army's progress here, and you get the loudest of the Illiterati doing the same over there.

You should put a link to both threads in your signature (which you can access by clicking on your user name at the top right)

Jamie Searle likes this.
  5. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

@Jorgik Thank you. :) There'll be some vegetation on the base, but not lots. I'm trying to get away from the jungle theme of the Lizardmen and capture some more of the 'interplanner' feel of the Seraphon.

The Ripperdactyals were made straight out of the box, I didn't have any special ideas for them, and frankly they were hard enough already. I am so used to making Space Marines (40k & 30k) that I was a little intiminated by the whole new feel of a dinosaur sprue. :)

@spawning of Bob Haha, that croping of the quote was perfect. I'll have to remember the insult for an espically geeky conversation.

Your idea about two threads is a great one, thanks. I'll start up a fluff one soon and try to detail out my army plans a little there. Signature links just make sense too, once I have a second thread for people to see I'll make it a top priority.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

That's one intimidating Carny!

I'm going to be using leds on my Army on parade board and they are fiddly little buggers, great job so far, :)

Jamie Searle likes this.
  7. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

@Crowsfoot Thanks, and good luck man. I've used a couple of leds in a prop lightsaber hilt before, it's a whole different ball game in models. Still, worth the effort here I feel so I'm planning a coulple more in my army. The Bastilladon is just crying out for one.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Illuminated bastiladons on L-O date back to this by Jorgta

Best battle report eva.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Two and a half years of history. I'd never have trawled back to that so thanks for sharing something so awesome! :D

10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Just read that what a great report.

11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Read this if you haven't already. Pure Lustrian gold.

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Very good :D

13. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

First unit of Saurus Warriors built.

Only two small conversions here, the Alpha has the spear from the Carnosaur kit, and the Icon bearer has an axe in his off hand.

Attached Files:

Bowser likes this.
  14. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi guys, everyone good I hope. Been a busy week here, but progres has been on the Seraphon inbetween everything else. :)

Apart from the riders for four Saurus Knights I've now built five warscrolls now for a total of 53 wounds.

This includes a Skink Priest made from mainly spare parts from the Ripperdactyl pack, there were lots of feathers left over. (Attached Image)

On the side I did a little practicing for bases and after a few fails got a good result. This is close to the GW Warhammer TV method. I think I'll write a tutorial for it as it's a little easier. (Also an Attached Image)
    These have now gone into mass production.

Finished base in the top left.

Then last night I finally got a little paint on a model. To be honest it's not what I hoped. But, I'll persevre amd judge again when it's come a little further.

Well it's a start. As always I'd love to hear peoples thoughts.

Jay

Bowser and n810 like this.
  15. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

h! That cloak is awesome!! I love the feel of a hunched over old priest you got with the pose :)
    Ooooh, don';t you go stealing my Azyr thunder! I've been collecting the parts for that one for weeks ;P It's all looking really cool BTW, I love a good LED conversion! If you struggle with the drilling there are some wonderfully tiny LEDs for use with model trains. Unfortunately I can't find the link but if you find some the wires are so small you don't even need to drill!

16. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

Good call on smaller Led's. I bought in in the Powered Play Kickstarter a couple of years back and want to use them up. Sadly they are a little large, but they are nice and simple for one such as I who has never really learnt about Led's. :)

17. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I actually think the Big LED works well for this one. It's like a glowing orb in the palm. The tiny ones are good for the more delicate jobs on guys that don't have loads of plastic to hollow out.

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:artist: You could perhaps use some Silicone sealant (caulk) to create some transparent spell effect around your LED.

Toltecatl likes this.
  19. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

I'll google it and see what can be done. Maybe nice to have a trick or two extra up my sleave for further models.

20. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I love the lava base. Did you use GW's crackle paint for that?