1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The looming excitement that might be TW warhammer II

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by The Sauric Ace, Mar 9, 2017.

1. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Also CA Confirmed that it isn't the case, well a Mod of the Total War forum, replied vaguely; I don't really think they needed to since as states above, it is from a rather silly site :p

Bowser and Captaniser like this.
  2. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

And now for something completely different: Faction speculations!... I know three posts-ish since the last one :rolleyes:

Cold One cav as always been a bit weird mix of light and heavy cav in the game, at least their were originally until 7th edition when Sauruses got +5 saves. This was essentially (I suppose) to balance out that the cold one is a tad tougher than horses and hit harder, with 8th they even got multiple attacks, making them act like an additional saurus warrior. With both multiple attacks and tough skin, I deem them more as a semi-monstrous cav. with the negatives being that they only got one Wound. With this in mind I reckon it could be interesting if this was how they were treated in the game. Like they would be more equivalent to Demigryphs than Ordinary cav. This would mean that we would have less of them, probably 3 turns to recruit and rather late upgrade to the tier of whatever buildings makes them, which would fit well with the fluff of them and the main idea that lizards aren't really a heavy cav army.
    The one thing that would suggest otherwise would be that they would be way too powerful for a lord to start out with. However I am trying to argue that they should be somewhat like the demi, not as powerful. Since the game doesn't really operate within the same mechanic as the board game, i guess these things doesn't really matter; they'll be balanced for sure to make up for however difficult they are to get and how other factions can counter them.

I guess I just want my Cold one to smash through loads of chaos warriors and eat their brains...and liver and heart... really any soft and yummy internal part, that they can get their claws on :D

Bowser likes this.
  3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea, the Cold One Calvary where never knights with lances.
    where you would destroy an opponent on the charge,
    nor where they light cav where you just harass your opponent
    with ranged attack or flanking support.

Cold One Calvary where kinda their own thing,
    I always referred to them as Medium Calvary.
    It's better to get the charge with them, but it's
    of if they get charged so long as it isn't another cav unit.
    after that, your opponent is stuck with them as they
    slowly grind down the other unit, due to their 2+ armor
    and 8+ cold blooded leadership and cause fear.
    they usually win in the long run even if there are only a few left.

ps. also there is the 3 attacks. instead of the usual 2 for cav.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. Charistoph
    Skink

Charistoph New Member

I don't know. Natural Barding compensated by being naturally slower. Using spears instead of lances, but compensated by being naturally stronger. They aren't like the Tomb Kings Horsemen or the Wild Riders of Khornos. They may not have been Plate Armour with Barding, but they were no slouches, either.

Bowser likes this.
  5. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

It will definitely be reveal what they end up doing eventually, but I reckon CA might deem the slightly more monstrous than your average steed :)

Bowser likes this.
  6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I wonder is they are going to keep the stupidity trait,
    where they will just occasionally just wander forward a bit
    instead of doing what you wanted them to do.

Bowser likes this.
  7. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Actually I'm not certain stupidity as such exists in the TW game, not that I'm aware of that is. I seem to recall that Trolls just had very poor moral(Leadership), but that was it... They might have been more difficult to command, but that was probably just me not paying enough attention to them when I was fighting my orc battles :p

Bowser likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

So will every unit (outside of special characters) in the 8th edition book be represented in the game? Or do they just make a selection of the most popular ones?

Bowser likes this.
  9. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

This is very difficult to say, for sure. I mean; Britonnia probably has more units then they did in the 6th ed (Their last book as I recall) like hippogrif knights and such, but I hear that the Beastmen got the short stick of that treathment, since they lack a lot of their bigger and meaner monsters, like the gorclops/Gorgon/That big cyclops monster goat-thingy. Both of which are DLC, the Britonnia are even the Free DLC of the two (They don't have a unique campaign, though). Empire got a lot of what I remembered them to have, I reckon Knights of the Inner circle is missing, but the regular Empire Knights, Reiksgaurds and a Tech that is called the Inner Circle, which grants a bonus to every heavy Cav units. So the sort of got them, just not in name.

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  10. Charistoph
    Skink

Charistoph New Member

The Cygor exists, its the Beastmen's only "war machine". The Ghorgon and Jabberslythe do not, nor is the Giant available.

A lot will depend on how what can fill the roles they feel represent the Lizardmen.

Tier 1 infantry will be easy between Skink Cohorts and Skirmishers. You get a block unit and a missile unit to work with. Tier 2 Infantry will be Saurus Warriors and Cohorts with Shields and/or Spears. And so on.

The question is what will they use as AP Infantry, will Saurus get Great Swords, will that be left to Temple Guard, or will Kroxigors do the role as well? Will the Bastilidon be their big heavy, or will we see different Stegadon variants? Will Ripperdactyls make it, or subsumed under the Terradons role?

Almost guaranteed, though, that Cold One Cavalry will be the Armoured Cavalry of the Lizardmen. Ripperdactyls are too light for that role (even with AP). We may see a new Monstrous Cavalry unit from them which use Monstrous Cold Ones or mini-Carnosaurs (I wouldn't say no to that), or we may see the Troglodon take on that role.

Mounts for the Lords and Heroes are level upgrades, which are selected much like their own traits. It would be interesting to see if they put the Engine of the Gods in that spot for Skink Priests or just have them be their own unique unit. Not having researched or played the Vampires, it could be similar how they do those Thrones of theirs...

11. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Yes please! :happy:

How they'll make the Slann fell like a superior mage is also going to be interesting.What will be the difference from them and then a skink priest, they don't really seem to operate under the 1-2 and 3-4 lvl which the board game does.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Charistoph
    Skink

Charistoph New Member

That's a very good question. Even the Fay Enchantress had to purchase most of her spells, and she's no slouch. I've only run Dwarfs and Bretonnians, and the Enchantress was the only Magical Lord I ran, so that doesn't provide a good basis for making suggestions.

Assuming they keep the same progression process, I'd suggest that they start out with a few spells in the bunker instead of just the one that most of the rest start out with. We could fluff it as they start out with their attention elsewhere, and as they grow in ranks, their focus shifts from The Plan to The World. As this focus shifts, more spells become available. Everything else is developing the skills to represent a greater amount of Winds you start each Combat with and army control.

Another interesting idea is to have them be able to Meditate for certain bonuses. Almost like Deploying a Lord like one Deploys a Hero, but with different results like greater Winds in the Province.

Bowser and The Sauric Ace like this.
  13. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

I wonder how Slann lords will work with magic, since in the TT they get access to all lores of magic. Maybe have them always have access to "High" magic, and then you can choose which other lore to put points into, but once you choose a certain lore it locks out all the other ones. We can see a similar "choice feature" with the new wood elf lords. You can choose to go ranged, or you can choose to go melee.

Or they could just have you hire a slann lord with access to one specific lore like most of the other wizard lords you can hire.

Thoughts?

Bowser and The Sauric Ace like this.
  14. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

This could be a very cool mechanic, to differentiate the Slann from other mage lords. Make them seem superior, without making them too OP

It could be neat if they had similar expansion tree like the wood elves got, just for magic lores instead of melee - range :)
    The high lore would be awesome to have as a standard lore and then possibility of choosing another.
    Of course Slann 's also got their discipline; which could leave to a whole other way of expanding their magic potential.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"pyramid in the background."
    Lizardmen Confirmed :cigar:

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and Captaniser like this.
  17. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Yep; that's pretty much confirmation on lizards ;)

Bowser likes this.
  18. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

Well, they just started a livestream on youtube showing the countdown. There are some very peculiar sounds.

Livestream

Bowser and n810 like this.
  19. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear dino sounds, lots of birds. Sometimes dinosaur sounds come up.

Bowser and n810 like this.
  20. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Yep, Lizardmen confirmed :p However we already pretty much knew that :D

Bowser likes this.