1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dice Gods and you!

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Krox-Power, Oct 19, 2009.

1. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

if it's an important roll, make sure you chuck them with some decent force behind them! limp wrist rolls = bad.

oh, and i cant flee to save my life. poor skinks get caught every time :/

2. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

This is something not really useful for Fantasy, but used a lot in 40k. When firing a missile launcher, don't say, "I'm firing my missile launcher." Don't even use the word missile. It has MISS right in it! Call it a rocket people!

--DF2K

3. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

well.... lets just say, don't ever call the artillery die the misfire die. stupid touchy die!

4. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Oh yes,

Rule Nr.1 in dice-rolling:
    Be kind.
    NEVER say: "I hope I don't get that 1".
    BAM; there's you're 1...

Just be kind;
    "C'mon guys, you can do it"

Don't name any numbers or other expectations (the dice have ears! [as do the walls!])

The Hunted

5. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

This might be considered crazy but I practice throwing my dice, like what force, how I throw them (like side ways etc.) and then with different amount of dice and I'm pretty good at estimating what I get. But you sometimes need to know how the dice is lying in your hand too

6. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

That's intense lol I usually just shake with two hands and throw at a very shallow angle so that they role a lot

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Every time my friend's empire or skaven army are around, I always offer him the misfire dice. Its amazing how much it works!

8. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I have a buddy of mine whom is a self admitted horribly tactician. But you know I think he's way to hard on himself. He's playing High Elves and does good with his tactics but if there ever was someone whom had horrible dice rolls it was my friend.

Out of the three years I've known him and played games with and against him he's only won a single match. Though on that occasion he was partnered with someone whom didn't lose any models and my poor friend has lost nearly his entire force to bad rolls.

His loss record is probably north of fifty if not over a hundred.

But despite all this he is a resolute terrific sportsman. He's probably one of the few guys in my area whom will point out suggestions in a game (friendly or competative) so that you can better destroy his force. He's also very lenient on mistakes and allows you to rewind time (to get that magic or shooting phase in you'd forgotten to take).

9. Benjiac
    Skink

Benjiac New Member

I like to get all the miscasts and bad rolls out of my system by rolling before games. It never seems to work!

10. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Has anyone else, at any time, ever placed a die with it's highest number up? Either to "train" the die to remember that number, or by thinking that eventually the weight will "settle" to the bottom and roll that number more? I used to do it so much when not rolling I set them to their highest number without thinking.

Also, I used to have a friend who had crappy dice rolls and so he decided to crush one in a vise. He put the bits and dust in his dice bag as, "an example to the others." Didn't help much. Ever see someone roll seven "1"s in a row during the climatic boss fight?

--DF2K

11. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I guess I didn't pray (and sacrifice enough blood) for the dice gods because my last game was a complete disaster... First of all round 1 my skink priest rolls two ones Not good, then he rolls twelve *phew* not as bad as it could be since I was casting Potent of Far. Second turn he rolls ones again :jawdrop: and is sucked into the realm of chaos :rage:
    My cold ones were shot by tomb king archers (don't know the correct name for them) and 6 out of 8 are killed because of fail in save rolls and are now fleeing into my 15 saurus warriors who were just about to charge in the next turn but they failed there leadership test and both the 2 cold ones and my 15 saurus warriors ran off the table. So until now all tests etc. have failed and at this point I'm looking at one unit of 15 saurus warriors and 2 x 12 skinks + 10 temple guards. After this it goes better and I succeed 75% of all my test but those dice rolls in my two first turns were killing me.
    And no I didn't not win that match -,-

12. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

So what you're saying is:

You don't pray (at least) 3 times a day at set times to the dice gods?
    You don't sacrifice (at least) once a week at set time(s) to the dice gods?

No wonder they punished you! They are soooooo right on this one....

;)

Tough luck, I always hate it when my Scar-Vet has the oppurtunity of a lifetime; and duly fails to hit anything...
    Scar-Vet, LA, Enchanted Shield, Cold one, BBoC vs 5 (flanking) vanilla knights.
    Result:
    Nada. I pass my break test due to being outnumbered...

Next round:
    1 kill. Draw.

Next round:
    1 kill. Draw.

Next round:
    He wakes up, realizing his mistake; and duly slaughters the remaining 3...

me: #@$!!*

The Hunted

13. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

That's just AWESOME. If a little worrying.

i managed to have my slann miscast 3 turns in a row the other week. luckily nothing too bad came from them (aside from crippling my much invested in magic phase of course)

am i the only one who rolls a 1 >50% of the time for cupped hands? seriously considering soul of stone instead...

14. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Just for fun sake I looked up "How to roll a die" and found this on eHow.com XD
    #
    Step 1

Hold the dice in the palm of your hand. Close your hand over the dice to form a loose fist. If you have small hands or too many dice, cup your other hand over the palm of your dice-holding hand.
    #
    Step 2

Shake your hand or hands and let the dice rattle around inside. Hold your hand loose enough so that the dice can move around, but tight enough so they don't fall out of your hand.
    #
    Step 3

Release the dice from your hand onto the table. There should be little force in this action. Just drop the dice on the table. You want them to land not far from you. View the numbers when all dice come to a rest.
    #
    Step 4

Use a dice cup if you have a hard time holding all the dice in your hand or keeping your dice throw under control. Put the dice in the cup, shake it and turn it upside down on the table. Then lift the cup and view the dice.

Still makes me laugh :)

15. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow Suppe that is handy! Really improves my technique. It seems I was doing it all wrong trying to headbutt the dice all these years!

.. Whoever needs instructions on rolling dice should find another hobby. :p Good find.

16. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I normally put mine in my mouth and then spit them out but this way is so much better

17. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Thankfully, my own technique never (or almost never) lets me down;

First, you pick the dice. After some carefull deliberation, your dice have been selected. Let's say 10.
    Second, you tell your dice the situation and what you (roughly) expect them to do. DON'T put too much stress on them, they cannot handle it.
    Next step, you pull out your maracas and turn 3 times withing 8,73 seconds.
    Having done that, you have to perform a handstand.
    While you're performing you handstand, you select a celtic folklore couplet, and start singing it vice-versa.

After you've completed your song, get back on your feet and roll the dice.

If you (somehow!) fluff your roll, you have obviously done something wrong in the former steps. And, although this goes without saying, you need more practice.

Trust me, you'll win every single battle if you do this.

Disclaimer

The contents of this article are based upon sources of information believed to be reliable, but no warranty or declaration, either explicit or implicit, is given as to their accuracy or completeness. The information supplied is indicative only and is subject to change.

No rights may be derived from the information, recommendations or calculated values contained in this article. The value of your investments may fluctuate. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Persons accessing this article are responsible for their choice and use of the information.

;)

The Hunted