1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Tetto'Eko + Death Slann for tournament?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinktaco, May 12, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

From what I can understand the Lore of Death is quite powerful in tournament environment (and likely in general) due to sniping characters and monsters.

Tetto'Eko makes Death a much more powerful lore due to highly likely rolling higher than I otherwise would have (rerolling 1s) although with a higher risk of getting IF. Besides that I really like Lore of Heaven, besides it grants me the potential to remove warmachines - which is quite handy when up against Dwarfs and good for controlling movement. Chain Lightning also being quite handy at times.

The rest of my army will likely be a couple of skink skirmisher units, a saurus warrior unit, a templeguard unit, some other stuff and likely a cowboyd - maybe a pimped out OB.

Death magic doesn't synergy so well with the rest of the army though.

What do you think?

2. Kaleidoscope
    Skink

Kaleidoscope New Member

I've tried it. The issue is that your army is looking for buffs and death doesn't really provide that. Death is perfect for skink cloud lists due to all of the magic missiles. Death also doesn't really need help from tetto'eko as your above-average casting would be mitigated by the fact that, at most, you're doing 2-4 wounds to your opponent's single models. You put a lot of points into something that doesn't really help you. For every time you snipe a daemon prince, there will be other games where you opponent won't even try to dispel because they have str5/t5 monsters with regeneration that just bounce off curse of lanith and the other spell...

If you like purple sun, go death or high and try to swap out for it. Be careful it doesn't suck up your own units.

If you like spirit leech, go wandering deliberations for max-damage output.

3. LTERALUS
    Skink

LTERALUS New Member

Biggest issue in my mind is too much magic. Most likely you will be able to get 3-4 spells off per turn. with 7 dice. That's a low number for 11 available spells. Buff your units with beast magic using skink priest instead. Give the priest a dispel scroll since Tetto doesn't have one.

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I'm going with Lore of Metal instead. I'll try it out. I don't tihnk there'll be too many spells though and Tetto'Eko is a steal for all his rules. Besides he buffs the Slann forcing his spells through.

I like this combination because it'll allow my suaurs warriors to eat knights and Tetto'Eko to be a damage battery. The good thing about plague of rust is that it may seem innocent, but if you can get it off on the first turn on a unit of 2+ save knights they'll permanently be down to 3+ and should they go up agianst saurus it's 4+.

Also it's not about getting off all available spells, but about confusing my opponent of what my goal is. Nobody wants a comet to go off, but most armies do not like plague of rust either. Redcing a heavy armour to a light armour might come off as silly, but once you're completely removing the last armour with S4 and you can save with at least a parry it does make a difference IMO. I'll obviously have to check it out, but I'm quite pumped for this combination.

Obviously an army such as wood elf isn't super hot to have metal against, but this is where Tetto will be a nice supplement.

Besides I'm still fielding a fully pimped Oldblood so I'm not lacking that neither.

protector likes this.
  5. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

I very much like your plan, winning in warhammer is about so much more than the models on the table and the fact that you know concealing your goal in magic is a priority to having a good magic phase is great. Also I think you will find that metal works really well with saurus because it takes out the one thing they do not deal well with, I look forward to your thoughts afterwards on how it went.

Pinktaco likes this.
  6. Irish_Lizard
    Saurus

Irish_Lizard Member

I'm a big fan of Death slann+ anything but I happen to be taking Death and tetto to the 6 nations event in Cardiff at the end of the month. I'm having trouble fitting my double OB and double scroll in as well but I can give up the third OB for all the choice tetto brings. Vanguarding skink priests with arcane vassal and death means you never worry about range. Heavens gives you the extra beat stick in comet so they come into the cloud of poison and purple sun range. As for combat buffs, you have soulblight, doom and darkness, harmonic, double iceshard(probably the best combat buff in the game) and midnight wind which is more than you will ever need or cast.

I love the combo to potentially win the game turn one with vanguarding salamander + D&D, like hellcannon + D&D, it will rarely come off but the threat forces your opponent to play completely different (units can't go 20 wide to sweep skinks as the flee pivot will take them straight off the table, they cant separate the bsb or general etc).

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Oh.. Do report back with the result. I find that with Tetto'Eko we can allow our slann to pick a lore we wouldn't normally do because we are always guaranteed a lot of spells.

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks. I can actually thank @Scalenex for mentioning that Lore of Metal is quite a decent lore to go with saurus warriors since they complement them on what they are weak against.

I'll report back when I've played at the tourney, but it's not until June the 28th so it's quite far off, which is fine since I have my final exam at June the 19th :)

Scalenex likes this.