1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Terradon + Shandowstrike

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Arawn, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

Hi guys!

I try to use Terradon riders with the Shadowstrike batallion because my friends start to be fed up with the Rippers^^.

Even if we decide in our group that the faq does not apply to the toad.
    By the way for French players, I asked to one of the person who organise the "Inter-région" tournament next April, the toad+ Shadowstrike will be allowed.

Back to the topic : The special rule "Strike from the skies" says that the flyers can be set up during a mouvement phase, but can they still move after being set up?

I don't see anything saying that they can't...

Have a good day!

Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yes they can move.
    Otherwise the ability would say "that counts as their move in the movement phase" like it does with all the summons and so on.

Terradons are much better than people say IMO, especially now that they are cheaper than Rippers. I have done terrible damage with just three of them more than once.
    The cool thing is that you can use them for hit-and-run tactics if you don't go into melee (since they have ranged weapons) and/or force the enemy to decide to charge them or not. If you manage to fly over the enemy those mortal wounds have a decent chance to soften up a heavily armored unit (I once did 5 wounds on a Maw-Krusha in the first round and in another case killed a Weirdnob Shaman, the bombs essentially won those games for me). Those bolas can be devastating, too.
    The only real disadvantage is that you basically HAVE to use the bombs in the first round or risk not being able to use them at all. But then again that creates pressure for your opponent. 3d3 potential mortal wounds is not something many armies can easily ignore.

Seraphage and Arawn like this.
  3. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

Thanks for the answer.
    I don't play them too often because there is some kind of curse upon me when I am playing these little fellows... each time I tried, I couldn't manage to roll any 4+ to drop the rocks...

I reckon they can be very effective by hitting different targets as well. when the Rippers, just charge and fight, Terradons can fly over a a wizard or any low wounds character regardless of the save, shoot at him if the rocks were not enough, and block another unit during one turn in combat... It can dramatically drop the synergies of the opponent.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah also there are ways to reduce the chance of them dying.
    Ripperdactyls are pretty much kamikaze units in many cases because they are glass cannons and have to get into melee to do anything. You can play Terradons in the same way if you want, but you have more choices.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Don't forget that a terradon's range means a protective screen needs to be much wider than normal. Ripperdactyls you only need to keep out of melee range. A terradon squad can still kill, or at least maim, the wizard hiding behind his screen if he doesn't back away far enough.

Aginor likes this.