1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Taking 8th Edition Questions

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Xlcontiqu, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

i thought tetto knew the whole lore, my bad. if he doesn't then yes he would fall into the "must roll his spells" category.

the point being that other than mages who know a whole lore you can have up to 6 mages a lore, each knowing 1 spell plus the signature spell, in addition to all your mages who know "set" spells, or have loremaster(know a whole lore)

Also, i noticed this flipping through my copy, Bound spells now need to be rolled for out of your power die pool, and dispelled in the same manner as normal spells, neither casting them nor dispelling them gain the lvl benefit for a wizard(meaning its a flat die roll no buffs).

has anyone noticed if bound spells are still one use in 8th? because I couldn't find it when i looked.

2. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Bound items as I understand it are still subject to the limitiations noted in their description so a one use item is one use and so on. A miscast when casting for a bound item destroys the item I do believe and so a item that can be used multiple times would no longer be able to be used if you miscast.

I don't have the BRB so I'm just doing this from memory.

P.S. Tetteko is a lvl 2 mage who knows ALL the spells from the lore of Heavens.

-Eagle

3. kugruk
    Skink

kugruk New Member

Unless the item says one use only, they arent. They are cast like normal spells now, using the power level as the casting value

4. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Fun fact: we Lizardmen players now get the occasional chance where we can laugh at how we miscasted with our bound spells, since we can't use them anymore anyway! It's a win-win situation for us.

Cheers!

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Ah if he does know all spells I see where you are coming from. The basic example of anyone who buys spells/knows all, do not count to the random rolling still stands. You can only ever have one of each spell randomly rolled. Yeah you could have 6 priests with one spell each from the lore of heavens, I don't really think it would be worth it at all though. You will still have a maximum of 12 power dice.

It is strange that magic really doesn't scale well to larger games. If you have 4000 points, you will still only have 12 power dice max. It makes it less influential I guess, but weaker really.

6. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Back to that cumulative Special Rules discussion...

Chaos Warriors of Khorne with Extra hand weapons and a Banner of Rage.

Khorne - Grants Frenzy which Grants Extra Attack
    Extra Hand Weapon - Grants Extra Attack.
    Banner of Rage - Grants Frenzy which Grants Extra Attack

2 Attacks Base + 3 (Extra Attacks) = 5 Attacks !!??

7. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

no. you dont get 2x frenzy. frenzy and frenzy doesnt stack to double frenzy. so at most +2A
    but i heard rumors that said that frenzy and extrahandwep extra atacks doest stack.

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

That's probably just the whiners working themselves up. :)
    Frenzy+2xHW has stacked before, I don't see any need for change. It's no like it makes the poor Khorne warriors any better either, as they trade their survivability for more overkill which they don't really need.

Cheers!

9. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

If Frenzy and Frenzy don't stack then neither should Extra Attack from a 2nd Hand Weapon and Extra Attack from Frenzy.

If that is the case then Chaos Warriors of Khorne with extra hand weapons got worse. 3 attacks instead of 4.

On one hand I don't think they meant for the abilities to stack but I do believe they would of wanted to keep +2 Attacks from an extra hand weapon and Frenzy combined.

10. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

The FAQ says he has Loremaster Heavens

11. asianavatar
    Skink

asianavatar New Member

The extra attacks are coming from two different rules so its okie, in your case its both from frenzy, if you are already frenzied you can't be again.

12. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

So, If you have a slann with the "Turn into Dragon/ big beastie/ whatever" spell, and he's in a unit of Temple Guard, would that be worthwhile? Could add a whole lot more punch to a TG block since you've "lost" the 2 strength 5 attacks from the 2nd rank models he replaces... :smug:

13. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Monsters can't be in units anymore.. also I don't think Slann can do the transform thing, as he is not "on foot".

14. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I don't know, he is classified as infantry.

15. wolfmage
    Temple Guard

wolfmage New Member

The slann can change into the beastie but will lose magic and wargear- not special rules or diciplines- so it is possible to have an even more powerfull dragon than usual. Not sure if you get to keep the loremaster dicipline and still cast spells as a dragon or not. Does anyone else know?

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The spell is for "caster on foot only". The Slann is pretty comfortable in his palanquin, don't think he'll be transforming into a "lesser creature" such as a dragon.

17. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

Well i have a couple of questions...

Miscasts no longer cause a spell to auto-fail right? So if i cast at someone with the ring of hotek and roll say 2 5s, they'll need to dispel?

Again with miscasts, is the damage from a miscast magical? If so can you use your magic res to up your save?

18. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Slann is infantry --> infantry is on foot --> Slann can cast beasts 6th spell to himself

There isnt any rule that would forbid turning our frog into a dargon

19. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Very true. Now Dragons on the other hand...

Cheers!

20. Rated G
    Skink

Rated G New Member

*giggle*

Sorry, comments like that appeal to my juvenile side. Honestly though, is there anything in the Slann or palanquin that treats it as not being on foot?