1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Started Painting Today! Picture Heavy!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by asrodrig, Nov 11, 2008.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty interesting colour scheme you have coming along there, asrodrig. I like it, he looks menacing and angry, like hes ready to destroy something.

2. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Looks nice so far! And as Strewart said, it's a pretty neat color scheme! I'm liking the way it's turning out

3. Maazie
    Cold One

Maazie Member

Wow, I love your Slann so far. Can't wait to see more.

4. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Cool slann, he really fits for a lore of death slann, he's like an evil slann :walkingdead:

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here's an update on the Slann:
    DSCN2084-1.jpg
    Obviously, I'm still not 100% done - I have some detail to pick out on the palanquin, and a bit to finish on the base. I'm thinking I might make some vines out of greenstuff and put them in amongst the skulls on the base, similar to what's going on on the palanquin.
    The more astute of you will notice that I've also changed my color scheme from green to blue on my Lizardmen. The Skink attendant is not done, but he's close to the color I'm going for.

6. the Albino Slann
    Skink

the Albino Slann New Member

just curoius how did you get the white of the slann, my name is kinda oviace but i want to make an albino slann with pink eyes (or red but i don't really want to copy you). also any ideas on how to get a slann to point his fingers at my opponent (want to add a warp energy bolt at the end of his pinky{ his favorite quote will be "I will raise your army with just a flip of my pinky") :walkingdead:

from what i can tll your the guy to talk to for a tricky conversion

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Me? Nah, my conversions are mostly kitbashes with as little sculpting as possible (the Slann's base might be the only exception). But if you do want to know how I did the white, it's actually pretty easy. I started with a basecoat of Astronomican Grey, and then applied a wash of Badab Black. I then highlighted with Fortress Grey. I painted the top of the head with Adeptus Battlegrey and blended it down to Fortress Grey on his back (you can't really see it in either of the pictures). Then I highlighted with a 1:1 mix of Fortress Grey and Skull White, and followed that up with several thin coats of Skull White. The veins on his belly and limbs were painted with Hormagaunt Purple and Macharite Red before I applied a Skull White glaze over them to make them appear as if they were underneath his white skin. His lips, warts, and the area around his eyes were painted with Tallarn Flesh before given a wash of Ogryn Flesh and then highlighted with Dwarf Flesh and Elf Flesh respectively. His eyes were then painted with Mechrite Red and then highlighted with Blazing Orange and Sunburst Yellow. I also added a small dot of Skull White to the back of the eye to make it look like light reflecting off the surface. The gold areas were painted first with Shining Gold, then given a wash of Devlan Mud, and then highlighted first with Burnished Gold, and then a 1:1 mix of Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver. Finally, I painted his cheeks with Liche Purple, washed them with Badab Black, and then highlighted them with Hormagaunt Purple before I gave him a coat of Satin Varnish.
    As for making your Slann point, you will have to get out a dremel tool and shave off his arm. Needless to say, you may have to sculpt his belly and the area around the arm back with Green Stuff. I'm guessing you want something like this:
    AUT_0583.jpg
    (Not my model - props go to Rikard on The Pyramid Vault)
    Get out some wire and build yourself an armature, and get sculpting! :D

8. the Albino Slann
    Skink

the Albino Slann New Member

sweet, thx for the help

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Very cool, his colours really suit the idea of the pile of skulls! Makes me want to get my arse into gear and get my Slann done.

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

A very WIP shot of my Scar-Veteran:
    DSCN2091.jpg
    DSCN2092.jpg

11. strewart
    OldBlood

Thats very WiP?? Wow you could have fooled me into thinking it was complete. I'll be keen to see what else you do to him, looking good so far.

12. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Did you sculpt every single skull in that pile by hand?

13. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I love the sword, it looks great... I am curious as to what is in that bottle he's standing on ;)

14. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

No. I sculpted 4 or 5 and made casts of them.
    Hehe... nothing anymore.

15. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

An update! On my Kroxigor!
    DSCN2101-1.jpg
    I like how this guy turned out (he looks better irl than in the picture, trust me), especially the base. I think I'm going to follow suit on the swamp base for the rest of my Skrox units (Skirmisher Skink bases will probably stay the way I've always done them).

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Wow... that looks absolutely amazing. That's seriously gotta be one of the best painted kroxigors I have seen. :meh: Very nice job!

How long did it take you to paint it?
    How did you make that base?

17. strewart
    OldBlood

I agree, he looks really good! I'd love to see some bigger photos to see a bit more of the detail though.

18. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

It took several hours. I don't know exactly how many, but at least three or four, excluding the base.
    To make the base, I first glued a piece of cork onto the base and pinned the Kroxigor through the cork into the base itself using plenty of Gray Stuff (GF9's version of Green Stuff) to anchor it. I mixed up some cat litter with white glue and applied it in various areas to give it a more rough appearance and I took a spare head from my latest box of Skeleton Warriors and glued it to the base. Once all the glue was dry, I painted the base with Scorched Brown and the rock with Charadon Granite. I then drybrushed the rock with Codex Gray and Fortress Gray. The clumps of cat litter on top were painted with Snakebite Leather, and then drybrushed with Kommando Khaki and Bleached Bone. To make the swampy water effect, I first liberally covered the base with 'Ardcoat (brush-on gloss varnish), and once it was dry, I added some blotches of Orkhide Shade. I then covered that with a 1:1 mix of 'Ardcoat and white glue, and once that was dry, I again painted some blotches of Dark Angels Green. I repeated the paint--'Arcoat--'Arcoat/glue layers until I worked up to Camo Green. After that, I applied a wash of Gryphonne Sepia and Thraka Green and added several more layers of 'Ardcoat.
    The reed was made out of a piece of very thin plasticard rod that I dipped in thick Gesso to get the cat tail at the end. I then painted the stem Goblin Green and the pod Scorched Brown. The leaves were made by peeling off pieces of a bamboo skewer and painting them Goblin Green as well. I also added some Citadel Grass, and applied a wash of Gryphonne Sepia and 'Ardcoat to it to make it look wet and muddy.
    The whole project took maybe a week, because I had to wait for the 'Ardcoat and glue layers to dry completely, usually overnight.
    Sorry- wall of text. I hope that answers your questions. ;)

And here are some larger pictures for your viewing pleasure.
    DSCN2102.jpg
    DSCN2101.jpg
    DSCN2100.jpg

19. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I must say Asrodrig that you're entire army is painted superbly! Absolutely amazing from the humble skinks, to the mighty saurus/temple guard to the all powerful slann! Everything is painted to an amazing standard! Can't forget your conversions and sculpting...amazing in and of themselves!

20. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Fantastic!