1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Starkeys venture into Lustria - Battle Reps

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by starkey, May 7, 2014.

1. starkey
    Jungle Swarm

starkey New Member

Yo,

So you might have seen my recent plog of my new Lizardmen army and I have finally started playing some games with them.

I will be keeping this log updated with all my games just to keep everything in one place :)

My first game was 2400pts against Andy from my local Club,

This was the list I took,

Slann Mage-Priest: Becalming Cogitation; Harmonic Convergence; Soul of Stone; Reservoir of Eldritch Energy; Focus of Mystery; Channelling Staff; Battle Standard Bearer (Standard of Discipline)

Skink Priest: Dispel Scroll
    Tetto'eko
    Saurus Scar-Veteran: Dragonhelm; Dawnstone; great weapon; Cold One
    Saurus Scar-Veteran: Armour of Destiny; great weapon; Cold One

10 Skink Skirmishers
    10 Skink Skirmishers: Lustrian javelins and shields
    22 Skinks: Skink Brave; musician; standard bearer
    20 Skinks: Skink Brave; musician; standard bearer

3 Terradon Riders: fireleech bolas
    3 Terradon Riders
    6 Chameleon Skinks
    20 Temple Guard

1 Salamander Hunting Pack: additional Skink Handler
    1 Salamander Hunting Pack: additional Skink Handler

He took a slightly unconventional list, he is just trying out different units from the book to see what he enjoys (I have no idea what Items he had on the characters)

Supreme Sorceress: Dark Steed
    Dreadlord: heavy armour; great weapon; brace of repeater handbows; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Steed 190

Master: Dark Pegasus
    Master: brace of repeater handbows; Dark Steed; Battle Standard
    Master: Cold One

15 Witch Elves: Hag; musician; standard bearer
    12 Dark Riders: Herald; musician; standard bearer
    15 Black Ark Corsairs: Reaver; musician; standard bearer

Reaper Bolt Thrower
    Reaper Bolt Thrower
    5 Harpies
    7 Cold One Knights

5 Doomfire Warlocks
    5 Doomfire Warlocks

I deployed first and managed to win the roll for going first, after my turn 1 he only had 1 warlock left in one squad and cascaded he lvl4 with his very first spell (2 dice for throne of vines, then rolled a 1 for miscast protection, then rolled another 1 for going down the hole very very unlucky), he only killed a handful of Dark Riders with the template.

I slowly mopped up from there, He charged he general into my scar vet, we both fluffed our attack but I lost combat and rolled 11 for my morale test and ran off the board. Other then tetto miscasting the rest of the game was a formality.

A unit by unit review from the game
    Slann Mage-Priest: Generally pretty meh, the 3 channels were nice, but other then 1 hand of glory to buff skinks BS to 6 did nothing all game. Hard to say after just a single game that was one sided but did very little. Do I even need him? tetto seemed to do alot of the magic. I could replace him easily enough with an old blood + scar Vet BSB and still have points left over for more men on the ground (basildon maybe)

Skink Priest: Used mainly as a vessel for the slann (would have been more useful if I could roll decent dice), cast a couple of wildforms to buff my Javlins

Tetto'eko - The D3 vanguard moves allowed my Salamanders and scar vets to get into better positions at the start of the game,comet late game finished off his cold one and a bolt thrower. Chain Lightning also put a few wounds on the peg captain.

Saurus Scar-Veterans: Mixed results, one ran off the board le sigh, the other took out the corsairs, harpies and caused the witch elves to flee so earnt his points back

Skink Skirmishers - They did a lot of the heavy lifting, aided by hand of glory they took out alot of the warlocks and the cold ones by forcing wounds, I think 4 units of 10 was enough and allowed for a couple of double fleeing opportunities to stall his advance and allow the comet to come down for maximum impact

Skink Cohorts - Bunkers for tetto and my skink priest, I managed to get one into a building and left it there, maybe not the best use of it. Tetto's unit also did very little other then being a bunker and lost all but 5 to a miscast.

Terradon Riders - The fireleech bolas were meh, the range wasn't an issue but for warmachine hunting I was wounding on 6's with either Javs or the fireleech so the potential for wounding via poison would have been more beneficial in the long run I feel

6 Chameleon Skinks - Their scout deployment stopped his vanguard move on one of my flanks and then took out a warmachine, I don't think I would need more then 6 in a single unit and a 2nd unit might have been overkill due to the lack of terrain on this board.

20 Temple Guard - Acted as a bunker for the slann but didn't see combat the entire game, hard to say if they were useful or not

Salamanders - Threatened the flanks and took out several dark riders and witch elves on the way, fairly reliable although not being able to march and shoot slowed them down.

Overall I was pretty happy. Im still learning the little details to improve my game, I think I fled too often when I could have risked it.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. starkey
    Jungle Swarm

starkey New Member

Right.

Another game, slightly different list to my previous one, I made the slann cheaper which allowed me to fit in another unit of terradons.

I also dropped one of the skink Skirmisher units and made it into a Cohort unit.

My list looked like this
    Slann Mage-Priest: Harmonic Convergence; Channelling Staff; Battle Standard Bearer (Standard of Discipline) 385

Skink Priest: Dispel Scroll 90
    Tetto'eko 185
    Saurus Scar-Veteran: Dragonhelm; Dawnstone; great weapon; Cold One 139
    Saurus Scar-Veteran: Armour of Destiny; great weapon; Cold One 154

10 Skink Skirmishers 70
    10 Skink Skirmishers: Lustrian javelins and shields 70
    20 Skinks 100
    20 Skinks: musician 110
    20 Skinks: musician 110

3 Terradon Riders 105
    3 Terradon Riders 105
    6 Chameleon Skinks 78
    3 Terradon Riders 105
    20 Temple Guard 280

1 Salamander Hunting Pack: additional Skink Handler 84
    1 Salamander Hunting Pack: additional Skink Handler 84

My opponent was playing Vampire Counts, it was his first time with this army (normally plays dwarfs) so the list isnt optimised.

Master Necromancer 200

Necromancer: Dispel Scroll; Corpse Cart 180
    Vampire 105
    Vampire 105

30 Zombies: musician 95
    30 Skeleton Warriors: Skeleton Champion; musician; standard bearer 180
    30 Skeleton Warriors: spears; Skeleton Champion; musician; standard bearer 180
    5 Dire Wolves 40
    5 Dire Wolves 40
    5 Dire Wolves 40
    5 Dire Wolves 40

6 Crypt Horrors: Crypt Haunter 238
    3 Spirit Hosts 135
    3 Spirit Hosts 135

7 Blood Knights: The Screaming Banner; Kastellan; musician; standard bearer 410
    Varghulf 175

Im not really sure what items he had on his characters.

Overall I was worried about a few things on his list, namly his spirit hosts and his blood knights.

I got the following spells on my casters

He got all the vampire spells and took spirit leach on one of his vampires.

This is how things looked after my deployment

He pushed his wolves up as far as he could preventing me to vanguard with some of my units. Tetto only allowed me to vanguard a single unit up so I pushed a skink skirmisher unit up with 2 scar vets attached.

The game started slowly, I managed to take out all of the wolves and the Varghulf with poison shots, but then it got messy :( Spirit hosts are a pain, It took several turns to get them beaten down with combat res and they held up one of my cohorts the entire game. The Black Knights also started stopping through my units after being distratcted for a couple of turns with skirmish units.

One of my scar vets charged his block of skele's stupidly mistaking a vampire a necromancer. Both characters fluffed and I lost due to combat res and ran away and was caught by the skele's DOH!.

The Terradons were great, harassed his units and forced him to make some bad decisions with movement which allowed me to pick off units one at a time and ultimately allowed me to get a flank and a rear charge with 2 units and the remaining scar vet on his skele bus with his General in it and eventually killed it forcing crumble tests across the board.

The black knight were slowly getting into my back lines after been delayed for a few turns by skink speed bumps. So I went balls to the wall with my slann and cast purple sun, managed to kill 5 knights and the vampire (rolled a 6) I felt dirty for doing it but ultimately the bus would have ripped through my back lines and cost me the game.

Overall it turned into a big win for me after only losing 1 scar vet 3 skirmisher units and 1 Cohort

Unit Review:

Slann - Much better then the last game utilizing death and teaming well with the skink priest. He was much more offensive with spirit leach taking out a necromancer early on and then Purple Sun to finish the game off. I never felt gimped taking less items compared to the previous game so thumbs up for him.

Tetto - Meh, he only allowed 1 unit to Vanguard, threw out a couple spells but I am just not convinced, I am considering dropping him and trying to squeeze in a old blood with a magic weapon

Skink Priest - Very useful in this game, allowed the slann to utilize more death snipes whilst staying relatively safe. The dispell scroll, however cheesy was also handy although I again didn't like using it but hey ho

Scar vets - Mixed results, maybe i am being too cowboy with them and expecting to take on the world. This is the 2nd game where one of them has fled from combat, bad luck maybe? the 2nd performed amazingly and assisted with taking out the lvl 4 necormancer.

Skink Skirmishers - cant fault these guys again, 70 points for a cheap redirectors. Took out the majority of his wolves and then slowed his advance for a few turns.

Skink Cohorts - One of the units took out the Varghulf on the 2nd turn so easily earned there points back, and then held up the blood knights for another turn. Another unit was distracted by a spirit host the entire game but cant complain. Would a block of Sarus be better? probibly not for the points as I would lose a few units to cover the points difference.

Chameleon Skinks - Scouting was hard in the game due a) the number of units he had and b) lack of scenery so I placed them in a position to limit his vanguard moves, took out some wolves but generally did very little, more to do with the army I was against then anything else (12 poison shots against zombies pfft)

Terradons - Awesomes, were truly a PITA for him getting behind his ranks and then ultimately got a flank + rear charge on his skele bus and won the game for me. The extra unit was a great addition.

Temple Guard - Took out one unit of Spirit Hosts and then the Crypt horrors. I was more aggressive with them this game and it paid off.

Salamanders - took our a few crypt horrors and put wounds on one of the skele units but lack of decent targets hampered there effectiveness (killing zombies that got back up next turn)

Overall the army performed better this game and Felt like each unit played a vital role unlike last game where some units were doing very little. Going foreward im debating dropping tetto for an old blood on cold one with a magic weapon. He would have dealt with the spirit hosts and done damage to the blood knight bus. I will have to see

I think the VC are a tough matchup for my style of Lizardmen army. I struggle with 1+ armour and large hordes both of which they have lots off.

As always thoughts are much appreciated.

Attached Files:

3. havik110
    Saurus

havik110 New Member

do you mind if I ask why you didnt vanguard the lonely salamander in the back?