1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Hulk

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by strewart, Aug 29, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

So has anyone else ordered this sexy looking box? I heard rumours of it and thought meh, I saw a couple of models and thought nice, but the more I saw and read the more I liked it and now I cannot wait to get the box. A bunch of really cool looking models for my marine and nid armies plus I will finally see how the infamous Space Hulk works. Most excited about something 40k related I have been in years.

2. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

I am totally with you, i love those 'nid models, and those termies are... well... the best i've seen. I was also wanting to use that Librarian as my Sallies's cheif librarian (due to the models awesomeness.) Unfortunatly, im broke as, and can't get the "LIMITED STOCK" 'Hulk stuff :(

3. strewart
    OldBlood

My only problem is that the marines are blood angels, but its not a huge problem. My opponents will have no problem with it, they are very very cool models, I will magnetise them onto round bases since they come on tiny bases.

I have just got a rather large tax return, a coupe of pay cheques from work, and demonstrating first year chem pracs from uni so I had the spare cash to buy it. :D

4. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

How much is it? Oh and i first saw the due to owlandmoonguy's blog on bolterandchainsword, he was wrapped with them, being a BA player and all.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

$160 in Aus, that is a fair bit though. I think it is around 50 UK pounds. The bastards were going to try to slug me 29 pounds postage from GW UK so I had to buy the more expensive Aus price but get free postage. Looking back on it, the postage fits with their line, the box is apparently around 4 kilos and absolutely packed tight with stuff. I say again; I CAN'T WAIT! :D

6. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Damn, that is tonnes, too bad, i guess i'll have to wait another 10 years for its 30th anniversary >_<.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

I thought that... But how much is a broodlord, librarium, 2 boxes of terminators (11) and 22 genestealers (2.5 boxes) going to cost you seperately? In fact more than what Space Hulk costs and the Hulk models look better, plus it also comes with 2 rulebooks, counters, corridors, mission objectives, doors, dice etc. Its the best value box I've seen in a while.

8. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Yeah, i really want one, and i've been looking to bey myslef a Broodlord latly, its the solution to so many problems (my friend, thinking its all well, and fair, got Scabithrax the bloated, daemon lord for his army, we don't even have giant battles and he gets a bloody gargantuan creature? My solution is to gamg bash it with fexes and rend it to death with genestealers.)

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow. When you start bringing tanks with hull points and gargantuan creatures into the game, you really need some on both sides to keep it balanced and then it is basically Apocalypse.

Well, my Space Hulk arrived today. :D Very happy, I have all the marines together and a couple of the nids. The box is so heavy! Heaviest GW box I've ever had, and huge! Here is a (crappy phone) pic of it next to the fairly large stegadon box:

boxsize.jpg

All the models have rather large pegs. I wonder how they make the moulds with the deep holes in the models... Rather interesting. Anyway, not one of them has needed any glue so far they all just stay together very nicely without! A couple will need a little bit of gap filling, but not too much.

Also, the broodlord is a lot bigger than it looks in the pics. And in fact the terminators are quite large, but I think they are on the same scale as the current marine terminators, I only have the smaller old ones. Here is a size comparison pic with our very own humble skink, and a saurus in the background.

sizebroodlord.jpg

The cardboard tiles and markers are all very thick too, which is a nice touch. They will be sturdy and last a long time hopefully. I can't wait to get the models together, read the rules and have a game. Should make a fun drinking game with my gf. :)

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

:jawdrop: You got yours already? I thought it wasn't released until the 5th!

11. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

2 words: I want.

To be honest, i did start it by getting a hellhammer, but with all of the stuff he's counting as other stuff (a bionicle box lid for a doomsday device) and a T10 W10 Gargantuan creature... its a little one sided.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

You are correct, but when you advance order it arrives on or before the release so GW has to try to judge how long shipping will take. I got lucky. :D

I remember when the huge Bretonnian army box first came out, I got it about a month early because I ordered from the UK. Heh.

13. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

I GOT SPACE HULK yesterday

14. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

that makes 2 of us

and i just love the game

15. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

I almost killed myself not opening it, so i can kill my firned when i go to his house weekend after next and make him jealous :walkingdead: :bored: :rage:

16. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I picked up my copy today. I can't wait to pitch my Terminators against my little brother's Genestealers. :blackalien:

17. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

So, is it fun?

18. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

it's more then fun

it's the bomb!!!!

19. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Oh heck yes. I can really see this taking over AOBR as the "Introduction to Warhammer" set.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

if it wasn't a strictly limited edition run... I think GW are missing out by not making it full production, but who knows what they have planned in a couple months time as an 'oh well, you guys convinced us...'

It strikes a perfect balance between a simple board game and the excitement of 40k, it is a very easy game to learn and play, the models don't really need any modelling (though I will admit casual board gamers who do not have an array of modelling tools will have trouble getting the models off the sprues) and if it were released more as a mainstream thing and got into board game shops and such.. It is a perfect way to introduce people to the 40k universe and the modelling aspect of warhammer.