1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Several small questions from newbie

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Nukes4life, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

Heey Everybody,

I am problably going to play a local tournament of 2400 points this november. However I am gonna play my first 2400 point game coming saturday.

I was wondering wether Tetto and a focus of mystery slann is a viable combo in 2400/point games, would it be too much points invested in magic?

Another question is about tetto, how many skinks would you have his cohort be? I don't own any kroxigor so they problably wont fight and just hide behind the Temple guard.

Third do i neef more Temple guard? I have 22 Models right now and van conver a couple more with leftovers from the box.

And finally could a scar vet carnosaur work/with this list? I don't have one het but love the model and there are some available second hand :)

The rest of my list would incluse 2 stegadon, a bunch of skinks and some salamanders.

Thanks in avance!

2. Temekoku giant-slayer
    Skink

Temekoku giant-slayer New Member

For a 2400 point game, I would drop tetto, some people say he's never worth it in any situation. You might be able to make him useful, but I would take slann or the tetto, not both.
    Also, I would get some saurus warriors, or at the very least a large temple guard block, it helps to have at least one solid formation in an army, I have always found.
    For the scar vet, with the models you have, I would take it to maximize the effect of your stegadons by having a hard hitter all across the line. (and also, dinosaurs are cool;))

Scalenex likes this.
  3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's unorthodox but it's not unworkable. The thing is you have 15 spells you are able to cast and a max of 12 power dice. That stretches it pretty thin. In such a case you would probably use Tetto primarily for his Vanguard moves and the occasional Comet while the Slann does the heavy lifting. One problem is that High Magic Slann favor an arcane vassal or two. You can't really afford garden variety Skink Priests in this setup. If you are committed to Slann + Tetto, I would recommend dropping Focus of Mystery to save some points and take a BRB lore Slann with a heavy focus on buffs and hexes like LIght or Shadow.

Otherwise, at 2400 points you probably want to run with a Slann OR Tetto not both.

If Tetto is going to hang back and not fight, your main concern is shooting or magic forcing a panic test. If he's near the Slann general/BSB you should be fine. Otherwise 16 or 20 Skinks should be good. That means you have to lose 4 or 5 Skinks respectively to trigger a panic test. You don't want to go too much bigger for a unit that's never going to see combat.

22 is enough. At 2400 points I would not go below 21, unless your Slann takes a very defensive oriented lore such as Light or Life. I'm sure it's theoretically possible to have too many Temple Guard but I have never played a game and wished I brought fewer Temple Guard in my Slann bunkers.

With the two Stegadons you have nice target saturation to help with your Carnosaurs and Tet's Vanguard moves would be a lot of fun on a Carnosaur. The thing is, with a Slann and Tet you are already character heavy. Steggies and Carnosaurs are good flank support. Unfortunately your Temple Guard block has two flanks and you are considering three big dinos. You have a block infantry shortage.

What he said. You either need a block of a Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard both around 24 models or you need to boost your Temple Guard block to 36ish and go the deathstar route. 22 fighting infantry is too sparse for 2400 points games. If you are a true savant at using Skinks as redirectors you could get away with 20ish fighting infantry, but that takes a lot of practice to get to that level of skill.

n810, Obadiah and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

Thanks a lot!! Yea i was planning on bringing some saurus to fill up the core as well, 20-30 was my plan. I am now leaning towards just the slann. The point of 15 spells is a good one, I am never going to use that many and High magic has quite a lot of uses, especially with the swapping. I will see if I am going to buy a carnosaur but with the tournament rules of 25% lord cap I wont be able to use him as an old one but as a scar vet. IDK if this is bad or not, less magic items to buff him. I was also thinking of running a scar vet on a cold one as a cowbow, seems a lot of fun :p will draw up something tomorrow and post it here :) thanks again!

5. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

this is what I've got right now, I do have some terradon, 2 more stegadons, some cold ones and more salamanders. Tell me if i should change something, maybe the terradons for war machines i could face?

Slann: BSB, Focus of Mystery, Harmonic Convergence, Soul of Stone, Channeling Staff

Scar vet: GW, CO, Crown of Command, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade
    Scar vet: GW, Armour of Destiny
    Skink priest: Scroll
    Skink priest: Cube

27 Saurus FC
    4X 10 skinks

Stegadon no upgrades (should i add some?)
    22 Temple Guard: FC

Ancient stegadon with blowpipes (should i add updates?)
    Salamander with snack

How is that for 2400 points? the cowboy should be able to keep one large unit at bay giving the rest the chance to flank or focus on the other units.

6. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

I might have misread the abbreviations, but did you give your cowboy two weapons?

7. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

I am pretty sure that a great weapon and a magical item just merge to become a magical great weapon, same with halberd, swords and axes right

8. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

No, you have to use the magical weapon and the great weapon is just a waste of points.

Scalenex likes this.
  9. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

You are right indeed, dropped the weapon from the Scar vet and i'm gonna post the list on the army list forum :)

10. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Wish this were true, the dreams.. I have now the +3 attack sword plus a GW, 7 attacks on S7 for a mere 240 points on a 1+ rerrolable Oldblood on I,, but not, that stuff does not merge. You first have to use the magical weapon (if you have multiple magical weapons you must choose, not merge, so it is generally not worth the points), if you lose then (via say unforging) you have to use your mundane special weapon, such as a GW, and if you lose that(would not know how, but i guess there should be some loopholey way to?) you revert to a handwpn :(

11. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Pretty powerful anti-magic list you have there. Focus Mystery is awesome, so is bringing a Vet on Carno. If the tournament is a fairly relaxed atmosphere, as in people bring soft lists, I would bring the Carno, otherwise it will just be a big disappointment to take off the board turn 1-2 from enemy artillery.

There is a thread about Focus of Mystery that you should read if you have not already. Have a plan for which lore you are going to switch to based on which army you are up against. I would say to always swap for miasma first, not just because it has an insane range, super low casting cost, and can really mess with the other player. But it could also help you move your slann out of the TG bunker after you have rolled boxcars for WoM. Soul of Stone only does so much.

Nukes4life likes this.
  12. npowell88
    Skink

npowell88 New Member

I would say soul of stone isn't worth the points, since it only rarely becomes useful. If you're worried about your slann taking damage, he can rely mostly on his 4++ save and swapping into lore of life to heal himself; if you're worried about destroying the TG unit he's in, rarely will the effect of soul of stone help them significantly if you roll any of the unit-damaging miscast results. Take your 25 points and spend them elsewhere.

Other than that, this looks very similar to the list I'm bringing to a 2500 point tournament in November in Chicago. Mostly skink cloud (I'm taking 60 skinks with Javs/shields) but with a 30 block of saurus and a 26 block of TG, 2 stegadons, and then the basic loadout with 2 cowboys, focus of mystery slann, and 2 priests with cube/scroll. Good luck!

Nukes4life likes this.
  13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I respectfully disagree. Sometimes your Slann won't miscast and you won't need Soul of Stone. Sometimes your Slann will roll a 7 on the miscast table and you won't need Soul of Stone. Sometimes you will roll an 2, 3, 11, or 12 and Soul of Stone won't work.

All other times, it helps A LOT. 25 points is a small price to pay for that kind of insurance. Compare with Becalming Cognition which only provides a small bonus but is almost guaranteed to come in handy. If you do decide to spend your points elsewhere, consider Becalming Cognition.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed! Soul of Stone reduces your chances of the two worst miscast results, Dimensional Cascade & Power Drain, by 50%. That is quite a useful bit of insurance for our very important and costly Slann.

15. npowell88
    Skink

npowell88 New Member

Wow, 50%?? Is that accurate? Huh, might have to do the math on it afterall and see - if that's the case, then ignore my comment; that's damn worth 25 points!

16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Honestly, your already spending a lot of points of skink priests and Tetto'eko is very good. I'd drop both and sneak in Tetto'eko my man. As for loremaster I've never been a fan. I prefer wandering deliberation which incidentally work very well with Tetto'eko. Is it a lot on magic? Perhaps, but I've managed to get 3 spells off on 4 dice with this combo so.. Yeah :D that's just my opinion of course.

I'm a bit curious about the scar vet on CO with crown of commands and no bus.
    22 guards are also too low for my liking. The unit will get punished a lot so 30 guards will make for a good slann bunker.

In 8th edition monsters are always a liability with sniper cannons so just be warned. Personally I'd always aim for the sharpened horns upgrade.

npowell88 likes this.