1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Seraphon at London GT

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Christopher, May 21, 2018.

1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Crowsfoot and Captaniser like this.
  2. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

I am partial to any list that makes Warriors work (even though I can never seem to pull it off). I guess I need to buy more of these guys.

Interesting seeing Fangs of Sotek in there. I guess that extra three inch move and the buff to Bloodroar are better in practice than they seem on paper.

GingerGiant likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nice Saurus list!

4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Aren't spears generally considered better in a 40 man? Wonder why he went all clubs

5. GingerGiant
    Skink

GingerGiant Member

That 3" movement is 6" of movement if you "March" with your drummer. Warriors are amazing. Maybe he read my Warriors thread?

If you are maneuvering to maximize the number of Fearsome Jaws attacks, you're better off with Clubs over Spears. Fearsome Jaws and Stardrake Shields are a major part of why you pay 20 points over, say, Freeguild Guard. Any attack that's taking "advantage" of a Spear's reach is missing out on the 1" FJ&SS. On top of that, he's running them in the Sunclaw Starhost which exacerbates the need to have all your Warriors in FJ&SS range because they get another attack with it. You really need two FULL units of Warriors to overcome the point bloat of the battalion, as well.

PabloTho, Putzfrau and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Very interesting, I never thought about the 1'' range on the jaws compared to the spears. Still feels damn near impossible to really maximize 1'' attacks on 40 models, but i'll have to give it a try.

I have like triple the models with clubs compared to spears, I was worried I was going to have to start pulling arms off -_-

Crowsfoot and GingerGiant like this.
  7. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

In addition to the jaws point, spears aren't reliably giving you any extra attacks if you honeycomb your models (as you should), unless your models are surrounding a single hero/monster on a different sized base where larger gaps open up in the 2nd rank, because the first 2 ranks are both within 1" measuring base to base, while the 3rd rank, if there is one, is right at the edge of 2" (50-51 mm away with perfect base contact) vs other honeycombed 30mm bases; there's no room for error with the honeycombing if you want the 3rd rank of attacks like there is for the 2nd rank, and vs models with larger or smaller bases, you may not get anything from them at all, depending on how the lines form up.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Since Saurus are on 32's which is larger than an inch, wouldn't it be impossible to ever get more than "one rank" into combat? Sorry, i'm not sure i'm totally understanding what you're saying.

Ecozh and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

You can if you stagger them a bit. You place the front row further apart so the second row can move a bit closer.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Ah, gotcha. You leave a little gap so the second row can fit in there just a tad to make sure it's within an inch.

I wonder if leaving a gap for the second row outweighs cramming the first and second row as tight as possible with spears.

Regardless, it's nice to know there isn't a clear cut winner. I've always preferred the look of clubs and I never look forward to rearming all my models.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

See attached Pdf

Attached Files:

ILKAIN likes this.
  12. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

In the current meta, if you arent taking a horde army, you are taking high armor multi-wound models. Anything that makes Bloodroar better is good right now, as Bloodroar is Seraphon's #1 way to remove units of multi-wound infantry.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Wow, that's awesome! So you don't really even need to leave a gap if you structure your models in that way.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Vast Intellect. I have always been so tempted by it, but usually go for double tp. It seems super powerful though. Both of those spells are great.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Derp. I was thinking 30s. With 32s, you still get the 2nd rank of attacks with clubs, but the spears in the 3rd rank will always be out of range anyway, so it's actually worse for them, and for the extra spear attacks to be worth it, they need to be increasing the models in combat by at least 30% to compensate for the reduced chance to wound.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

This is considering only if you're piling in in a block. Most of the time, you can pile in around fairly easily, as long as you've charged, and manuevered the right units. Spears are better for fighting in a long line that can wrap around or engage multiple units, while clubs are better for block formations and grinding down enemies. At least that's what I've found to be true....

Putzfrau and Crowsfoot like this.
  17. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I was thinking the same thing. Over the course of a 5 game event, I can see the versatility of Vast Intellect winning out.

18. Aginor
    Slann

I haven't used double TP yet, only Vast Intellect. It has saved my scaly behind at least twice.

Ecozh and Joshua Horchler like this.
  19. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Yeah I need to start using it. Starlight and Curse of Fates are so good. Especially considering Curse of Fates guarantees a safe teleport every time and on a 5 you get to move.

Ecozh and Aginor like this.
  20. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah that's a huge factor. I often teleport my Astrolith Bearer when advancing to keep the rerolls, and it absolutely sucks if I roll a 1 so I make sure I don't.

Joshua Horchler likes this.