1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Scar Vet on Cold One: Are they sneaky good?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Joshua Horchler, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

I have been building a lot of lists as I collect my Seraphon models and continue to learn Age of Sigmar. I have a hard time evaluating Vets on Cold Ones.

100 points:
    7 wounds, 10 inch movement, 10 Bravery, and 4+ (ignore -2rend)

If you throw a Relic Blade onto him, he gets 3 Attacks with his weapon at +3,+3, -1 rend and 2 Damage. He can swing again if you roll a 4 and a third time if you roll a 6.

6 attacks at +3 +3, -1 Rend at 2 dmg seems really good for 100 points. Not to mention he is not a Behemoth, so his stats never lower. If you pair him with Old Blood, that's a potential 10 attacks with his "relic War-Pick."

What do you guys think about using two of these guys with Relic Blade in lists that use a detachment? It seems really cost effective, especially under Old Bloods buff. I usually build lists with a star-seer, so you can even use a re-roll on his swings if you have 1 or 2 to spare.

Bowser, Seraphage and LordRibbit like this.
  2. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

I really like them to be honest, especially if you're running knights with the command ability. Personally if my oldblood was the general i would look to give the carnosaur +2 bite attacks at full health 7 4+ 3+ 3 damage hits is brutal

Bowser likes this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, it is a great unit. Another standard in my bloodclaw starhosts.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

We have better generals, but the ScarVet on CO is really cost-effective.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

"If the Saurus Oldblood uses this ability, then until your next hero phase, whenever a Saurus Hero from your army within 20" attacks in the combat phase, pick one of its weapons and add 2 to its Attacks characteristic until the end of the phase."

All Heroes are affected! :)

I agree Killer Angel. I think the Star-seer might be our best general, but the Scar Vet on a cold one is pretty fast and I could see it being very useful. I have two right now, but I plan on trying a few different combinations to see how effective they can be. I even have a list I want to try that has 2 battalions and 3 Vets on Cold Ones, all with Relic Blades.

Bloodclaw Starhost might be my favorite Seraphon Battalion.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yeah, the good thing is that he can have the relic blade even if he's not the general.

The plan is good, but you cannot use the same artefact more than once. ;)

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I keep looking for that information, but can't find anything that says you can't use the same artefact more than once. Could you confirm that for me?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Not now, I'm going by memory. I'm sure a hero cannot have more than one artefact, and I recall that you cannot use the same artefact more than once.

9. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

All I can find is the below:

“You may choose one additional Hero to have an artefact for each warscroll battalion you include in your army. The same model cannot have more than one artefact of power.”

“Any Order Hero from an Order army can be given one of the following magical artefacts.”

I haven't found anything that says each artefact is unique and you can only use it once. Still looking.

Bowser likes this.
  10. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I feel like this might be one of those things that slipped through the cracks. It makes sense that you can't have more than one of an ancient artefact, but I don't see the rules that declare that.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Now that I've got my hands on the books, yeah, i don't find anything specific about it. Not even in the FAQ...

In tournament, it would be a thing that should be cleared up before playing.

12. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Yeah I agree. So I guess I could try out the 3 Vets with Relic Blades. It's funny because some of the artefacts sound unique but others don't. A mean a Relic Blade is pretty generic and Phoenix Stones are described as follows, "Phoenix Stones are rare gems..." So its not too against the lore of the items to have multiple Relic Blades or Quicksilver Potions, etc.

I

Bowser likes this.
  13. Lachlin
    Cold One

Lachlin Well-Known Member

One of the high placing armies at the last warhammer world tournament: Each character led a different battalion and each one had a quick silver potion.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I haven't been able to find it either, so technically you could take multiple of the same artefact, but models may only carry one artefact.

15. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

"If an ORDER army includes any HEROES,then one may bear a magical artefact. Declare which HERO has the artefact after picking your general"
    You can only have 1 artefact in the entire army.

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Nope.
    "You may choose one additional Hero to have an artefact for each warscroll battalion you include in your army"

Seraphage, Lachlin and Bowser like this.
  17. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Now I see why its why its sensible to build a Scar Vet on Cold One out of my starter set.....!

Joshua Horchler and Bowser like this.
  18. Anthony Johnston
    Jungle Swarm

Anthony Johnston New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to Seraphon and AoS after not playing WFB since 6th Ed. I was reading this thread and my math didn't add up. Can I get a clarification on this Scar Vet on Cold One's stats (armed with relic blade)?
    The way I read/understand it, if he is under the Old Blood on Carnosaur command ability at the time, he will get 5 initial attacks (3 base + 2 from Old Blood) with his magical war pick at Dmg 2 ea (relic blade boosting dmg from 1 to 2). Then, after resolving these initial 5 attack rolls, I roll a dice and if it's a 4+, I get to make another 5 attacks at Dmg 2 each. Then I roll a dice again and if I get a 6, I get another/final 5 attacks at Dmg 2 each, for a total possible of 15 attacks at Dmg 2 ea? Am I reading this correctly? If not, please correct me and show me where I erred. Thanks for the clarification.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

On free play that is correct, I believe in pitched this is subject to rules of 1. So you would not get the third set of attacks.

m0gstar likes this.
  20. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Where are the rules for stuff like Relic Blade and Quicksilver Potion?