1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Saurus Spears in 8th edition

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by skinker, Jul 12, 2010.

1. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

I do not have the new rulebook yet or I would look this one up, but...

How many attacks do saurus spears get now? Do 1st and 2nd rank still get 2 attacks each? Does third rank get anything, etc?

Thank you.

2. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Spears increase your supporting ranks by one. By definition each supporting rank is limited to 1 attack(for normal infantry). Number of attacks for a 5x4 unit would be as follows

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

If you happen to have unit 10 wide you get an additional attack from the third rank. Like so:

40 attacks. However, unless you are facing another horde unit, you would have trouble getting all of those attacks off at one time.

4. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Actually if your in a horde unit with spears its

For 50 possible attacks, since you get one supporting rank normally, one rank for horde, and one rank for spears

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

And you are 250mm wide (thats nearly a ruler, ~10 inches!) which is big. If you faced a 10 wide unit on 20mm bases, they would be 200mm so corner to corner you could still get every model in BTB. But I imagine the vast majority of infantry units going 10 wide would rather flee than face up to 50 S4 attacks!

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

You know, when I started that post, that was the intent. Thanks for the correction.

7. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

such bullcrap. Our Saurus core just got weaker since we must now take 3 ranks just to get the same attack output that we used to get with 2. Wouldn't be so bad if we weren't forced to take so many points in core units....

8. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Pretty much any infantry that had 2 attack models got nerfed. Most infantry blocks doubled the number of attacks they got with HW and shield, while saurus and WoC etc... only got an extra 50% while still costing a lot more. And with spears models with 1 attack got 50% more attacks while we maintained the same with an extra rank.

Javelins got a big boost though so field more sknk or skrox units.

9. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Thanks for the tip, will have to look into it...

Although its my impression that skrox units also got screwed since krox no longer are special with their extra attacks granted by long reach. Anybody in the second row can now attack, so basically that already weak unit just lost another special rule...

10. Arli
    Skink Priest

Just made myself a movement tray for 50 skinks with 6 Krox (gotta buy/build one more Kroxigor though).
    It looks pretty impressive.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ogre sized things (kroxigors) now get 3 suporting attacks from the second row...
    also you can't attacks models in the second row...

somthing to think about. ;)

12. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Didn't Kroxigar always get 3 attacks each from the second row? or are "supporting" attacks something new that's in addition to their usual attacks?

13. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

i think that ''support'' word in the phrase in the warhammer rulebook, its only a describing one. i think that supporting models fight with all of its attacks. kroxigors and such models have all of their attacks added in the front rank. alltgough monstrous infantry, why not the saurus. its not specifically stated that the rear rank provides ''supports'' only one attack to the front rank. we must ask games workshop for more details.

14. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

No. It is pretty clear that it is a rule under the big capital letter heading of 'SUPPORTING ATTACKS' pg48-49 and containing such sentences as:

'... he can only ever make a single Attack, regardless of the number of Attacks on his profile, or ... '

How much clearer do you want it?

15. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

hey! dont shoot me!! :)

16. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Ohh Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound angry or rude! Just giving my opinion on the rules. =)

17. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Well, at least the kroxigor aren't losing any attacks. But can the kroxigors be attacked back in a mixed unit? The FAQ tells us to ignore the 'great reach' special rule all together, and that is where it states that the enemy can choose which to attack.

18. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Nope they can no longer target the Kroxigor until they are forced to move up to the first rank by tons of skinks dying.

19. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Rock! Guess that decides it for me as to how I'm running my kroxigor... (Que up Twisted Sister album) :D

20. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

This is an interesting development! Now you can have your big steadfast unit of skinks with the kroxigors getting to hack away with impunity.