1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus die too fast

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Accurate_Noib, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Accurate_Noib
    Saurus

Accurate_Noib Member

Every time i use a unit of 30 saurus against my friends khorne army the saurus, melt away emidiatley because of bloodboil or bloodwarriors. Its not like they dont have support i keep having skinks shoot at them and spells like mistic shield cast on them but that doesnt change anything. I dont know how to counter them

Enemy army comp 20 blood warriors 6 skull crushers and slaughter priest with hackbane

2. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

They're essentially a chaff unit for objectives. If you have 40 and that have a backup and buff from a priest and can get in range of something they can be lethal. Other than that they're pretty useless.

Buffed Blood Warriors are pretty strong, but ultimately very very weak defensively. Try either killing the things buffing them first from range/

Accurate_Noib likes this.
  3. Accurate_Noib
    Saurus

Accurate_Noib Member

Thank you i will consider this and i will adapt my strategy accordingly

Ps would it be better to use spears or clubs because i tend to use spears.

4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

It'll depend. For larger groups spears are better so that you can attack two ranks deep, if you're using a priest to buff their jaws attacks then using clubs is better because you'll be wanting to maximize your jaw attacks anyway.

5. Accurate_Noib
    Saurus

Accurate_Noib Member

ok thx

6. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

You really need to abuse teleporting and movement increases with the Saurus so they can get reliable charges and fight first. They can do an absurd amount of damage in units of 40 with re-rolls to hit. The new rules will let you keep the Slann as the general and use a foot oldblood command ability to get 3" closer after the teleport. That said, you generally want more than one big unit of saurus if you're taking any at all. A single unit of 40 can do some damage, but once it dies, you need something to follow it up. Units of less than 40 aren't really worth taking unless it's a unit of 10 to fill out a Sunclaw/Bloodclaw.

I usually bring a Vast intellect Slann and cast curse of fates + summon starlight on the saurus, then try to teleport, and if it's a 5+ (curse of fates lets the 5 turn into a 6), I teleport forward and wrap around the target unit(s), leaving a daisy-chain to keep them in range of an astrolith. Usually, whatever they hit suffers critical damage and can't do too much damage back. Rinse and repeat with a second unit of 40. After the new rules, I'd bring an oldblood and always teleport, then reform 3" closer, though the unit will be able to move on a 4+ with curse of fates.

Clubs vs Spears was looked at in another thread recently; Clubs can still fight in 2 ranks, as long as you have your models honeycombed, with their own and enemy models. Spears are only beneficial if you are getting at least 1/3 more models into combat, which, if you are maximizing models within 1", isn't always easy to do, as the 3rd rank is never within 2" of the enemy, but the 2nd rank will be within 1" with maximized contact. Spears will be more reliable for getting in the extra attacks though, so might be better just for that.

A 1k saurus alpha strike list would look something like this:
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    Saurus Oldblood (120) - General - Might War Leader
    Skink Starpriest (80) - Incandescent Rectrices (or you can cut this and the Razordons for an Astrolith for re-rolls to hit.)
    40 x Saurus Warriors (360)
    40 x Saurus Warriors (360)
    2 x Razordons (80), 10 skinks, or a skink priest

Total: 1000
    Wounds: 97

At 750 (that Khorne list is 780, unless there's more to it, so I assume that's what you're playing at), you can get something like this if you want to bring Saurus:
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    Saurus Oldblood (120)- General - Might War Leader
    Skink Starpriest (80) - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    40 x Saurus Warriors (360) - Clubs
    10 x Skinks (60) - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    4 x Razordons (160)

Total: 780
    Wounds: 73

I don't think the 780 list is particularly good, but It's pretty hard to make a good ~750 list with Seraphon, and it might do alright, though a carnosaur, a starpriest, and 80 skinks, or 40 skinks and 10 knights would probably be better.

7. Accurate_Noib
    Saurus

Accurate_Noib Member

Ok thank you for the army comp

8. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

750 list I used was eternal starhost: 130 battalion, 140 warden 100 guardx5 100 guard x5 200 guardx10 80 for starpriest. relic that trades move for MB effect (prism I thnk?) on the skink, and Incandecent retrices on warden. give warden thick hide and you basically outlast the crap out of anyone that comes at you... or make the starpriest general and give him the trait that gives him the regular priest prayer for reliable runs, charges and saves, starlight for -1 to hit on enemy (and 1d3 MW if daemon) and prisym to give him something to do (and more MW spam) once the melee starts.

Ecozh likes this.
  9. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

You got that right. Our blob is a glass cannon, that's why it cannot afford hitting chaff and then getting charged or not going first ! Way more fragile than most hordes out there. Haven't found a really efficient way of using it against seriously competitive armies yet but iwll keep trying !