1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Ripperdactyls' GH2 point ost

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Seraphage, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Mortheim
    Skink

Mortheim Member

Yes, as written it feels like you can place toad if you have unit of Rippers, but nothing about it being on battlefield.
    Are there any units with close wording? Like "in your first hero phase, place bla-bla"?

2. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

The Flamespyre Phoenix may have the same problem. The aptitude phœnix reborn says when the Phoenix is slain he can reborn, but when it is slain the model is not on the table anymore. So he can't use the ability to reborn?

scubrat likes this.
  3. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

Since you don't specify which units you will summon, you just "save" reinforcement points for later use you can't place a toad. Unless (I think) you summon the unit in your first hero-phase?

4. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Very good point, same for a lot of slain models like the Hellpit Abomination and the Warpfire Dragon which either revive or deal damage on death.

Arawn and tom ndege like this.
  5. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

I am sure GW generalised too much the answer to the ability question in the FAQ.
    The question was about abilities and command abilities affecting other unit.
    I completely agree on the fact that a unit which is not set up on the battlefield,can't use a command ability or an ability which buff other units.
    But the toad buff only the rippers.
    And other units like the Celestant prime for eg use their ability ("Retribution from on high" for the Prime) when they are not on the battlefield.

darren watson likes this.
  6. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

What frog ability are we talking about?

7. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

Toad rage of the rippers

8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Placing the bload toad for the rippers' ability...

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Each ripperdactyl does 1 beak attack. If the target unit is near a blot toad, each ripper does THREE beak attacks.
    given that successful beak attacks can generate additional attacks, the toad is pretty much the main key to the use of rippers.

The toad is placed in your first hero phase, and cannot be killed (because no one cares about a little frog, right?)

10. Mortheim
    Skink

Mortheim Member

Tbh it really feels like they should place it. Cause there is nothing about them being on field. Just "In your first hero phase, place a Blot Toad for each of your units of Ripperdactyl Riders."
    Is it silent "on the battlefield"? Maybe it is intended that they can place toad for better tactic advantage.

Also, on reddit i found this old post.

Tbh the FAQ is too shaky. Cause the question is "can units use abilities or command abilities that affect other units", so it can be read as:
    1) "can you buff/attack/debuff from another dimension";
    2) "can you use abilities at all".
    If we accept first interpretation it can work, cause it doesn't affect other unit per se. If we use second interpretation we totaly can't.

Arawn likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Another way to see it:
    Fluff wise those Rippers are not far away, they are just hiding in the clouds and not in another dimension or so.
    Toad can be placed IMO.

Arawn likes this.
  12. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Honestly I think you guys are thinking too much about it. I think you can just put the toad down as is intended :)

Crowsfoot and Killer Angel like this.
  13. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I say place it! If you paid for the rippers pointwise... don't if you have reserve points that could also be used for other units...

Also it came to my mind that a toad (or several) could be part of a scenario setting or of terrain pieces... like making a toad pond and playing a kind of jungle setting... but that's not part of the discussion here...

14. Layken
    Skink

Layken New Member

If no abilities could be used when a model is not on the table. would that not prevent most deepstrike warscrolls from appearing on the board after being put to a side?

15. Arawn
    Saurus

Arawn Member

Indeed, and also reborn abilities.

I checked the french translation, I know it is not something reliable most of the time, as GW translations are not the best in the world. But the wording is far clearer. As it says in the answer that : Abilities and command abilities "that affect others units" can't be used.

As the toad rage affect nobody else but the rippers, we could use the ability...

Aginor likes this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

+1

tom ndege and Aginor like this.