1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Ripperdactyls' GH2 point ost

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Seraphage, Sep 7, 2017.

1. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

Plus the faq references units using abilities /command abilities not being able to affect other units. It doesn't state anywhere they need to be set up on the board to make use of their own

2. Iblitz
    Chameleon Skink

Iblitz Well-Known Member

it could be extended : This i a "Toad ability" which is already set up.
    But there are not Toad warscroll yet.

3. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

Found a blog about the Blackout Event.
    They played it my way too.

You really shouldnt take the question into account and you really shouldnt "think" that it would be strange.
    just take RAW and then ist a no go.

4. Iblitz
    Chameleon Skink

Iblitz Well-Known Member

So, you place the frog, after the unit arrives.
    That's quiet difficult to play now.

I guess we should play one unit of 3 on board + another unit on Ambush to benefit of the first unit toad.

5. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

Well thats the next issue.
    RAW the frog is placed in your first hero Phase and you're unable to do this in the first one.

6. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Just because a tournament has intrepreted the rule this way doesn't make it official. Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs ☺

Seraphage likes this.
  7. Iblitz
    Chameleon Skink

Iblitz Well-Known Member

Indeed, you spot the point.
    The rule says a complete nonsense .
    Or, it's intended to not play the toad combine with the Aerial strike.

8. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Well, given that Rippers in a Shadowstrike are already pretty strong without their toad... why not?
    You can now either use the strike from the skies or place them (and their toad) strategically on the board. Both are useful.

Shadowstrike is still fine despite the point increase and the toad not being usable. Especially now that we can teleport. Skinks got much cheaper and we can now teleport a unit of 40 Skinks (that is part of a Shadowstrike) behind enemy lines.Terradons got cheaper as well.

10. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Exactly that it's pretty clear. And I guess they had to FAQ something as "silly" as "only units IN the battlefield can use their abilities" because some competitive players just can't restrain themselves.

"Whhhaaat? Why can't I use summon Starlight without having my Starpriest on the board ? Come on ! He is in my army, just not on the table yet ! " :confused::p

11. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Although now that I read that too many alpha thingies got nerfed, I wonder if this could be the case. Hm.. and even if I do put another unit down, I guess the new toad won't be of any help to the shadowstrike ones ?

12. Aginor
    Slann

I wonder which unit's abilities were the reason for the FAQ...

13. Aginor
    Slann

Well the warscroll doesn't say it has to be _their_ toad, so if you have a toad near from another Ripper unit, that might work.

Seraphage likes this.
  14. darren watson
    Kroxigor

it does. also, that's only 2 responses again assuming the answer from the FAQ is relevant to all units and not just other units as per the question. honestly, currently rippers are fine. Until an FAQ specifically references this rule applying to own units I'll be deploying my rippers :) worse case scenario, I use a second unit and use their toad.

Either way I'm not worried

15. Mortheim
    Skink

Mortheim Member

Yap. Thank Old Ones it is "within 2" of ANY Blot Toad". Another unit of rippers and you can deal some insane stuff (wounding on 2+ with rerolling 1s for Trap is Sprung).

Aginor, Seraphage and darren watson like this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

I still think the original intent is to place the toad regardless of the hidden setup.
    But a clarification on that sure would be nice.

17. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Interesting indeed.
    I guess it depends on if you interpret the toad as part of the ability or just the effects of being near it... like terrain increasing saves...
    Also I think it's depending on how you differentiate between deployed and placed on the table... using the toad on summoned rippers that might or might not appear on the table and the points leaving the possibility of a whole other unit to appear instead of them would be quite overpowered... if you deploy them and (during deploying them) use both of the abilities... your opponent would know that there are definitely some ripperdactyls...

18. Aginor
    Slann

I tend to say that for any unit of Ripperdactyls you may place the toad as soon as you have paid the point cost. Everything else is weird to me.

Xasto likes this.
  19. Alaund
    Jungle Swarm

Alaund New Member

So, I assume that nerfing the alpha-strike lists could be the case. However, that line of reasoning as far as abilities go could be taken into the extreme.

For example, let's take the Celestant Prime. His ability says:
    "Retribution from On High: Instead of setting up the Celestant-Prime on the battlefield, you must place him to one side and say that he is set up in the Celestial Realm. In each of your movement phases you must declare whether he will strike from the heavens or remain in the Celestial Realm [...]".

Now, let's compare the Toad ability from the Rippers' warscroll:
    "Toad Rage: Ripperdactyls become utterly frenzied whenever they catch the scent of a Blot Toad, and it is no coincidence that these diminutive creatures seem to materialise amid the enemy whenever the winged beasts are near. In your first hero phase, place a Blot Toad anywhere on the battlefield for each of your units of Ripperdactyl Riders."

Both wordings seem similar to me - Declare something during the movement phase here, place something during the hero phase there. Right? Well, in that case Celestant Prime cannot exit the heavens and come onto the battlefield?
    Correct me if my thinking's off, but if we follow the idea of "do not try to interpret, just follow the rule as it's written" then this is my understanding.

20. Seraphage
    Stegadon

[/QUOTE]
    Now, let's compare the Toad ability from the Rippers' warscroll:
    "Toad Rage: Ripperdactyls become utterly frenzied whenever they catch the scent of a Blot Toad, and it is no coincidence that these diminutive creatures seem to materialise amid the enemy whenever the winged beasts are near. In your first hero phase, place a Blot Toad anywhere on the battlefield for each of your units of Ripperdactyl Riders."
    [/QUOTE]

Well that seems right actually. It doesn't say for each of your units of Riderppdactyls ON the battlefield"

Joshmunga, Xasto and Alaund like this.