1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Ripper question

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Julasaur, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Julasaur
    Jungle Swarm

Julasaur New Member

Just wondering if rippers are useful when there are no warmachinds on the board. Having trouble getting the most out of them

2. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Yes,they are usefull. The more unit you have,the better they are because of toad rage affects more unit (i prefer using two). They are usefull against cavalry, and characters wich can be affected by killing blow.

3. Sebbs
    Cold One

Sebbs Active Member

Something I'm inclined to try: position them across from where my opponent position the lvl4 mage/bsb/general unit, plop the toad in that unit. Then be super aggressive and vanguard straight up in their grill for a direct charge and snipe out a key character turn one.

As a double bluff, when you vanguard up midfield, keep them on a 12" leash within your own bsb or general (18" if they are large targets). Then fly over the enemy battle line and go for war-machines or other easy prey ;)

Kudos to Roder @ Skull Bros Awesome for the idea :meh:

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

we have lenghty threads about rippers. Check them out in our glorious tactica index.

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Somewhere Scalenex smiles without knowing why.

6. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Quick note, though - if you Vanguard, and get first turn, you can't charge...which leaves your Rippers vulnerable for Enemy Turn #1.

Also, somewhere in that Ripper thread there are thoughts on the importance of running them into an enemy flank, not front. Their mobility makes this easy enough to achieve, and it makes the difference between overwhelming victory and getting your Rippers killed...

...last week I thought, "surely my Rippers will make mincemeat out of these Squig Hoppers." Ran them into a unit of 5 Hoppers, along with a Night Goblin Big Boss on a Great Cave Squig. The two units pretty much wiped each other out, except that the Great Cave Squig was left standing, and went on to wipe out my Salamanders for an encore.
    ...so, definitely put them in the flank.

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Is there anything to prevent them electing flee? I think not. I choose to have them in the generals bubble, but pushing them as far as I can. If i get the first turn, hurray, I cant charge, I can move them to the warmachines/flanks/behind the lines. If opponent gets firts turn? Elect flee, if thell be charged. Almost 100% it will be a failed charge, and this allows your skinks, sallies to shoot in your first turn, AND the rippers will rally for sure, then move as described above;)

8. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Frenzy comes along with Immune to Psichology.

Immune to Psichology prevents from panic, fear, and terror BUT your reaction vs charge can never be flee.

9. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Yeah, my bad. I felt I' missing something. I remembered there was a reason why I couldnt elect flee, so I looked up frenzy rule quickly, but I didnt find anything, and didnt check ITP :S
    Well, at least the stategy I suggested works for terradons fine;)