1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Revered Guardians

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Conar, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Conar
    Skink

Conar New Member

The rules say one may have a magic item up to 25pts limit

Is this only magic weapons?
    or can it be broadened to other catergories (Magic armour, talismans etc) - if so which ones?

Cheers
    Conar

2. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Anything other than banners, they are good for carrying things like the blood statuette

3. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

When magic items are available, it is any item type that the model can normally use. For Revered Guardian, this will be:
    Weapons
    Armor
    Shield

And then the misc categories that everyone with magic items can take from:
    Enchanted
    Talismans

Since he is not a Wizard, he cannot take Arcane items. If the model had no Light Armor and didnt have an upgrade option to any armor type, then he couldnt take any Magic Armor.

4. Conar
    Skink

Conar New Member

Thanks for clearing that one up :D

Any suggestions on whats the best item?

5. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Well I thought it was limited to weapons actually(I need to read the book again...) but anyway...

I usually go with either Sword of the hornet(but the scar-vet gets that from time to time) or the Burning blade...
    Maybe the mirror shield would be good, mostly since I regularly face Chaos... Both daemons and warriors, and O&G... Soon there will be Empire too... Argh... So many missiles... Better have the shield...

Cheers!

6. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Can't have mirror shield as its over 25 pts.... (take a scarvet with it)
    and you can't complain, I have to deal with warplightning

:mad: (the one on the left is lizardmen without shield)

:rage: (lizardmen in cc owning a random guy)

7. Conar
    Skink

Conar New Member

Amen to Skaven warp lightening being a pain in the a*se

The skaven list in my club is about 6 Jezzails
    then 2 warp lightening cannons
    3 Engineers, 1 Bell with grey seer
    then about 6 massive units with detachments of ratling guns
    :beaver:

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice cheesy skaven list, point him to the Underempire and they will sort out his cheesy ways.

It is somewhat against the rules according to an FAQ, but remember as soon as the warp lightning cannon is charged it HAS to flee. Second turn make sure you have something that 'you think somewhat has a chance of reaching' and declare the charge to send it on its way. Against most Skaven players I would do that fairly, but against a cheesed out Skyre list? Who cares.

Anyway back on topic, I wouldn't bother equipping the revered guardian with anything. Nothing strikes me as really useful, and remember putting items on a single wound model is always dangerous because opponents can direct attacks onto him and kill him whenever they like.

9. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Without sounding redundant, I have to agree with Stewart. He is after all a champion, doesn't have any better stats than the rest of his unit and won't survive long with a special magic item in CC. It's essentially like making an already over valued model more overvalued so when its killed, you hand your opponent more victory points. With the group I play with, most players will dump at least one attack into the UC if they have a good chance at killing it.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

:meh: May well be mis-quote of the century, but I like it. :p

You're right, you already pay about the price of a whole extra model just for one extra attack. The points could be spent buying an extra wound as well, and in the case of TG an extra attack since a champ will have 3 attacks while two normal models will have 4.

Sometimes items are worth it, but only when the benefit the whole unit not just the champ. Magic weapons and armour? Hell 3 s5 attacks from a simple unit champion or a 2+ AS and still s4 is more than a lot of heroes get, what more do you want? A good example of where it is useful is in the HE army, where a 10-15 point item on the unit champ can give the whole unit magical attacks which makes them great for killing daemons, ethereals, and.. well, trees.

11. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I should have separated those two sentences by putting them in seperate paragraphs. The "He" should refer to the RG not stewart, although I won't deny that he is most likely a champion.

I won't deny that allowing the RG's to take some items does give them some flexibility and can increase the combat value to the unit. However, I don't like seeing that item get taken out with one successfull wound. Obviously you can get challenged by character or another champion, and while with some challenges the RG will be on almost equal ground, there will be others when he'll get ground to dust with his one wound. I just think that the points could be better used elsewhere in most cases.

I won't debate the HE comments because I would do the same thing if I played that list. It would be nice to see the LM get some more flexibility in this area. At the same time I highly doubt that the LM list would remain balanced as compared to the other new 7th edition books without take a nerf in another area.

12. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Well I'd say that sword of the hornet(even thou the vet gets it from time to time...) is a rather good choice... Worked just fine when my TG acted tarpit for a bunch of gobbos... I had no Slann atm.

Anyhow, yes I'd rather see a "naked" champ get killed than an upgraded one...

Cheers!

13. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Personally, I ussually dont take myself as we revered guardians are too much points for naught :D

14. Conar
    Skink

Conar New Member

Yeah i'm taking mine naked from now on
    im just too tight for points
    and prefer to give them a warbanner for the same amount of points

+ 1 attack?
    or + 1 static combat res ?

and as for the Skaven player, he puts them behind woods, but luckily enough he misfires every game atleast twice on both cannons

Conar

15. strewart
    OldBlood

You make a good point that hadn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but has been in other threads. Unit champions are primarily there to protect characters by taking challenges for them, so since the Slann is well hidden by his own rules and can't be challenged there is little point in even having a revered guardian. Unit champions have the occasional use of challening a crazy powerful character so only one of your models die rather than several, but that only works for 1 turn and usually the opponent will have their own protecting unit champion to take the challenge and chop up your unit anyway.

16. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Exactly. me's our worthless... (anyone who hasn't gotten it yet look at my name....)

17. Cragspyder
    Skink

Cragspyder New Member

Keep in mind folks, that even if you do lose the Revered Guardian in CC, he is still a part of the Temple Guard unit, and thus your opponent does not get any points for him until he kills half (in which case he gets half of the 25 point more expensive TG unit) or the entire unit (when he gets the points for the whole unit).

Just because you can give him a magic item doesn't make him a character, so you don't give up too many points unless he kills the TG unit, in which case you're probably done like dinner anyways.

18. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

You're correct if you're concerned about how many victory points you're giving your opponent. Giving a magic item to a RG seems like a good way to keep your opponent from getting those points.

My point of view is that if you do choose to give your RG a magic item and he is killed in the first round of combat, you have just lost points that you could have used to make your list stronger instead of paying points to place the RG on the table and then paying the points to give him an item. Yes, it doesn't ultimately givey our opponent victory points (unless the unit dies), but it does cripple your effective use of those points for your list. This, in turn, gives your opponent more of an advantage (if ever so slight) because you are now fighting his 2000 point army with less than 2000 points.

19. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Definitely signature material this strewart! :) :)

20. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

although the one use items are of some use here since you will hopefully use them before you get into combat and therefore you don't take the points from a character but that is of limited use as well but about the only way i would use it