1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request for Slann and Cold One painting tips

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Erdrick, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

After falling in love with Lizardmen way back in high-school in the late-90s, some friends convinced me to finally take the plunge to join them in an AoS 2.0 campaign. While I wait for my first Start Collecting! box and Slann Mage-Priest general to arrive, I decided to start getting my painting supplies in order.

Searching the archives and googling around I've found good guides for the traditional blue color scheme I want, along with the red carnosaur color scheme, I'm having trouble finding sufficiently detailed guides for my Slann and Cold Ones:

So if anyone has advice on doing either of the following I'd be tremendously greatful
    -Painting a Slann bright orange, and maybe lightly patterned like a Poison Dart Frog?
    -Painting Old Ones in the classic WHFB purple color scheme?

Glory to the Old Ones!

Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard,

First off, can you paint? the reason I ask is for techniques that will be suited to your level of experience.

Captaniser likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Captaniser likes this.
  4. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

I'd put myself down as intermediate - I can dry-brush and edge-highlight, but overall my brush control is mediocre at best. The biggest problem I feel I have though is an inability to figure out how to achieve certain colors without following existing guides.

Captaniser likes this.
  5. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

Yea, I found that thread when I was searching for references - the two orange slann are close to what I was imagining. The problem is no one posted any details on how they got those colors, so I don't know how to replicate them, or even where to start...

Captaniser likes this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Reaper Miniatures has an online tool called the Power Palette:

https://www.reapermini.com/powerpalette

It is not bad for a starting point. It will analyze a picture and give paint recommendations based on sampling specific pixels in the image.

Which are the two Orange Slann that you liked?

Also you’d mentioned a frog[?]:
    [​IMG]
    I think this ^ one is spiffin’ cool.

Aginor likes this.
  7. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Is this the Cold One colour scheme you're looking for?

IMG_0721.PNG

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Welcome!

I havent done a Slann yet (mine will probably end up being purple)...but my overall color is orange. The link to my paint blog is in my signature at the bottom of the post. If this orange scheme is close to what you're looking for I can tell you the process I used to achieve it.

And as for the Cold one...if it IS the purple and cream color scheme like the above post: This link is a breakdown they do of it for the Warhammer TV Youtube channel. You can look through their videos and find other helpful breakdowns too!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

Yea, that was one of the two key images. Thinking of doing
    Jokero Orange --> Bloodletter Shade --> Trollslayer Orange -> small highlight with Fire Dragon Bright
    for the orange, with some small Chaos Black spots, but what stumps me is:
    (1) What to do for the belly
    (2) What to do for the white-ish/green-ish background behind the spots on his arms/legs
    (3) What to do for the stonework palanquin
    (4) How to get the black spots, and really the whole model the glisten a bit

These were the two I saw that were the closest:
    10251-bb8c8c16b3d72eada4d70ecaedf1da9b.jpg 10525-8814c5ad5de93d02ac61ce4d5f30f73c.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Erdrick
    Skink

Erdrick New Member

Yes - exactly this.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

The first thing Id suggest is getting the Citadel Paint App on your device of choice. Its super helpful with the specific names of colors to help you buy the right paints. Provided you are wanting to use GW paints.

Bloodletter is a Glaze, not a Shade. It wont necessarily give you the same look as a shade. It doesnt really dry that much darker (I could be wrong though.) You might want to try Fuegan Orange as the Shade.

1. Alot of poison dart frogs like the one you like (a red backed poison dart frog) have the same spot patterns on their bellies. Google is your best friend. You can find alot of great images to help with the patterns.
    2. I would say to do ALL the white before you do the black spots instead of painting around them. It would make it easier. Base coat with Ceramic White, Shade VERY LIGHTLY with Drakenhof Nightshade (like 3 to 1 water to shade ratio)...Highlight with White Scar...Then glaze with the Waywatcher Green...again very lightly...to build up that green color. Thats how Id tackle that. then again...i dont dry brush anything other than bases...so someone who does may have a different technique.
    3. Mechanicus Standard Grey (Base), Nuln Oil (Shade), Longbeard Grey (Drybrush)
    4. If you want the glassy "wet" finish you can coat it in 'Ardcoat. Its a gloss varnish Technical paint that GW uses. I use it to give my jade weapons a polished look. Be warned though...its not exactly going to give you "a bit" of glisten. It will give you shiny. Its a gloss.

This is all just a suggestion based on my opinion...Others will tell you something else. Just how I would handle some of this stuff.

Good luck!

Blastoize and Crowsfoot like this.
  12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

1) Belly—black spots ? offwhite dividing lines? like the back and arms.

2) Paint the whole model the whitish-greenish as a base coat. Mix it yourself but take careful note :writing: of the formula if you need it for touch ups later. Maybe twenty drops Bright White with one drop Green Ink.

3) Not sure. :sorry:

4) Hardcoat. -or- A glossy brush-on sealer. -or- Future brushed on as a final coat?

Crowsfoot likes this.