1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Predictions for Warhammer 8th Edition Armies: Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by SouthlandLizardman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

I am interested to hear what some of your predictions on what the 8th edition book may hold...
    1. Salamanders won't be so nuts, or Razordon will get boosted to be on par with Sallies
    2. I think, if Arkhan is a level 5 caster, The Slann may just be level 5 if they are second generation.
    3. New monster? Coatl maybe?

2. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

Salamanders have their problems... I'd say warpfire throwers are much more powerful... str. 5 -2 save template. I think Slann, in terms of magic, should be so good that no other normal enemy wizard can compete because that's how good Slann Mage-Priests are. Thoguh Arkhan is a Special Character. Slann should be Level 4. I think Lizards should have their own Lore... Lore of the Old Ones? Also, where are the blessed spawnings?

3. Maazie
    Cold One

Maazie Member

I agree. We really need our own lore, I imagine they might nerf the Higher State of Conciousness though with changes and hopefully fix alot of our useless disciplines.

Also I would hope they would make Kroxigors better or more cost effective.

And I WANT Blessed Spawnings seeing how they are similar to Chaos Marks. Only Chaos can give them to ANYTHING.

4. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Salamanders will take a hit. Razordons are about right for their points I think, the only reason that they don't see more use is that Salamanders are so much better.

I hope the Slann Disciplines will be individually costed. They vary a lot in power so costing them all at 50 points is a bit silly.

Temple Guard could come down a point. Kroxigor could come down several points.

Probable new kits would be a Salamander/Razordon combo and a Carnosaur/new dino combo. Plastic Kroxigor would certainly be possible too and maybe with weapon options or even a new kind of Monstrous Infantry. Terradons would be very nice as well, anything that goes on a flying base really should be plastic.

No existing plastics will be replaced. They haven't even replaced totally crap plastics like Common Goblins, Zombies and Empire Knights, so replacing any of the perfectly good Lizardmen kits is out of the question.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

What I view as likely:

-The Slann’s disciplines, rather than being 50 points a piece, will vary on a power by power basis like the Vampire powers and Ogre big names.

-The special characters will get a little more reasonably priced, but that won’t materially affect people’s opinion of them. At least one new finecast SC model will come out.

-Razordon will be able to march and shoot

-We’ll get a new large dinosaur

-Swarms become cheaper, but not cheap enough that people will want to regularly use them

-No magic items costing less than 25 points in the 7th ed book make it to 8th edition
    -Carnosaurs become a little cheaper, but not enough to dissuade most people from taking a Slann instead of an Oldblood general.

-The 8th ed LM army book will be one of the last 8th ed books to come out

What I view as possible:

-We will get a new dinosaur that is a Sea Monster

-We will get a dual dinosaur kit with the new dinosaur and a Stegadon or Carnosaur

-Salamanders will become more expensive/less powerful.

-Skink Priests will be able to ride Terradons

-Skink Horned One Cavalry will come back, become potential skink character mounts (not magic items)

-If that is the case, there will be a Saurus Cav/Skink Cav combo box like with Black Knights and Hex Wraiths

-Saurus spears/hand weapons become an option not costing extra points either way.

-Kroxigor in a skink block become more expensive than Kroxigor outside a Skink block to balance out the choice

-LM gain a new left over tech of the Old Ones to join the ranks of the Slann Palanquin and Engine of the Gods

-Temple Guard Shields become an elective option rather than standard issue

-The new monster book I hear about coming out will foreshadow something we get in our army book

-We get plastic Kroxigors

-Slann regain the ability to choose spells from multiple lores like in sixth edition

-Saurus get two hand weapon options

What I view as possible but unlikely:

-We will get a Kroxigor hero

-We will get a coatl

-Skroxigor will be removed from the list, Kroxigor get some kind of very weak synergy bonus with Skinks like before.

-Marks of the Old Ones come back

-Chameleon Skinks become Rare

-We will get a new unit that isn’t strictly reptilian, Slave Warriors of the City of Moon, Jaguar packs, Culchan Skink Cavalry

-Short Bows come back as a skink option

-LM get an artillery piece of some kind

-Javelins and Blowpipes become the same cost and/or Blowpipe skinks get shield options

-We get a new infantry or monstrous infantry type

-Non Chameleon Skinks will get a Scout or Ambusher option.

-LM get their own lore

-Saurus gain a ballistic skill and thrown weapon options

-Saurus gain great weapon options

-Skink Cohorts get spear options

-A unit we have now will be removed from the codex altogether

-The LM 8th ed army book will come out relatively soon.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

There are some good points in there Scalenex. Particularly, the part about our book being one of (if not the) last one to be updated. I would even venture to say that once our book is updated, they will update the Fantasy rules in a way much like what happened to the Beastmen rulebook (I hope not).

Also, skink priest on a terradon would be awesome.

7. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

After seeing what they have done with Empire I will wage:

A giant dino of some sort (Goblin Giant Spider Sized)
    Slann gets an Engine/Stegadon option. (Probably on giant Dino)
    Skink Priest with option to choose other lore than Heavens also with Engine/Stegadon/Terredon option.
    Skink Snake Riders or Giant Man Eating Plants something silly like that.

8. vapor
    Razordon

vapor New Member

I just keep hoping they forget about us. I have a feeling any new book will end up screwing us over/ make us all buy a ton of new models to be competitive.

9. tankrothchild
    Skink

tankrothchild New Member

I like some of the ideas on here. After seeing the demi-gryphs, it seems like even cavalry are getting bigger. This makes me wonder if Lizardmen would get a larger cavalry unit than the cold ones.

Skinks ranking up mini stegadons anyone?

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

bad stuff gets better,
    great stuff gets worse,
    core gets cheaper,
    some units get more options,
    new items, and less of them,
    and new units. :p

11. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I would like to see a skink/saurus cavalry combo pack.

Seems likely to me that Kroxigor will either be dropped in points or get bumped to S5 T5 so they are worth the points. I think it's silly that they are pretty much the same as saurus in the beefiness department. Granted they have 3 wounds and stomps, but still.

I also have a feeling, based on those empire army pics, that we will be getting a legit arcanodon model. Remember that guy from the Lustria campaign?

Either that or the Coatl. Imagine a skink priest on one of these baddies. (note, not my work.)

DSC00333.jpg

Yeah. Bigger dinos are always on my wishlist. I have a good feeling we will get one or the other. :smug:

Warden likes this.
  12. KillerK
    Saurus

KillerK Member

@n810 +1 :rolleyes:

What I would love to see, is a carno MC,
    Allow the scar vet access to the Carno :) - change the carno troop type to MC.
    New playable cav, on DE cold ones, I'd love to have new model's, would buy a bunch.

Allow skink to use different lores, with different blessing's like in lustria.

remove the stupid misfire rule on razerdon's, to make them playable, and put out new model's, so I can buy some.

13. arcabis
    Saurus

arcabis Member

can we guess when we will update the codex?

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Probably last! lol.

15. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I'm going to stay quietly optimistic about 8th ed Lizards and given how long ago VC got a redux (about 4 years since their last book) I don't think we'll have to wait years and years and years.

Also Andy Hoare no longer works for GW so that gives me some confidence for a decent book, I'm sure he's a nice guy but for every one thing he fixed he broke about five others.

What we will see I cannot guess as I've no idea who is writing it, but I have included below what I would like to see.

- Slann generations back, even if the generation you have depends on the number of abilities you pick (fifth gen Slann has one pick, 2nd gen has four).
    - less of those one use only magic items! They are a real pain along with all the bound spell magic items.
    - Someone please fix Kroxigors, they're over priced and rubbish.
    - Spawnings - they gave the LM army a unique feel and tons of variety, please come back...
    - Salamanders, too cheap/nasty, they need a fix.
    - better/more useful magic items, don't break the ones that have an actual use.
    - Nakai, he's been in tons of fluff but for goodness sakes please bring him out for once.

16. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,
    I'd like to see the Spawnings come back, and they could be in the same way as in the 6ed book. This would surely make our book no so 0-1. And I would love to see the Slann pick spell form all the lores from our book just lik in the 6 ed, or something simmilar like Karios for example. And Lower the cost of our Stegadons to the Storm of Magic level... 215 for an Acient Stegadon is about righ (just look ant the Hydra point cost or the Hell pit)
    As for Magic items, we will have 8 or 10. Like Cupped hands, Cube of Darknes Divine plaque of protection, Burning Blade, Sun standard of Chotec and Pirhana Blade <- These items are with the Lizardmen for a long time (some are een in the 5th edition book!) They migh change thier effects but they must stay!!:)

17. theodmino
    Saurus

theodmino New Member

Besides from what have been said, i'm pretty sure they would make models of atlest one named character. Even if they might be crap game vise I have all faith that the modell itself would be really cool. I would just love to see a Mazamundi modell, it just sounds beast to me.

18. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Speaking about Mazamundi... 8th edition is pretty magic oriented, so If the make a new Lizardmen Book, They shoudl buff up our magic models, and lets face it, most of Us have a Slann so, Gw won't record a profit on this. On the other hand, If the make a Slann on a Stegadon model, they will make some $. Besides, On^ VC Emp got a rider for thier Mages:)

19. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

If we're talking models being re-sculpted then there's a lot of work needed.

I have no problems with people sculpting badly due to lack of inspiration or direction, but given the artwork they have available there's no excuse for sloppy sculpting.

for example:

templeguard.jpg

I plan on turning this into a mini, it won't rank up without help but I don't care, it will be far more impressive than the last plastic Old blood GW released.

20. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

As it starts on a stone plinth you should be able to use the vertical dimension to aid in ranking up.