1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What is the most probable future for your Lizardmen?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 20, 2015.

?

What is the MOST probable wargaming future for your Lizardmen?

1. 8th Edition

2. Oldhammer (any warhammer edition prior to 8th)

3. 9th Age

4. Kings of War

5. Age of Sigmar

6. Some other wargame

7. No more wargaming, just collecting/painting/storage

8. Selling the army

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I'm going smorgasboard.

Of my best friends who have armies, one is mostly into modeling but likes the occasional 8th edition. One friend is trying to get me to me to buy a Warmahordes army, but he has enough invested in a modest WHF army that he's willing to play Kings of War. Another friend may or may not finish his army that he started just before GW excreted (err released) Age of Sigmar, but he is leaning towards 8th edition over other alternatives. Another friend will only play Warmahordes, but he has enough spare armies that I don't have to spend money to play with him.

Looking at my acquaintance gaming circle. The most active player likes Age of Sigmar. A few are trying Kings of War. A few are leaving the hobby. A few will play 8th edition once in a while.

I am optimistic about the potential about 9th Age, and would be ore than willing to play it but my local area is pretty indifferent to it.

So basically I'll play whatever someone up for. I can use my minis for 8th, AoS, 9th Age, and KoW. I can play Warmahordes with different models. I'm not going to turn my nose up on any game system if the result would be not playing a game would I could be playing a game.

There is no poll option for that.

Also, I'm not super psyched about publicly visible votes. Nor being flagged to vote. I don't spend every waking hour combing forums. Also, I'm trying not to put my own two cents on every topic. It's not a crime to read something without commenting or clicking something.

If it matters to you, I slightly prefer 8th edition to other alternatives. Age of Sigmar is the least appealing of the options in my opinion, but I need to try playing it at least once (still haven't got around to it).

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

These comments warm my little Lizard heart (but in a good way, I'm still cold-blooded!).

Pollbringer is experimenting with different types of polls. At the very least, I hope it to serve as a quick tool to find like minded Lizards.

3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Honestly, I haven't played a wargame for so long it's a hard to answer. This is more out of circumstance than want as I would like to play again soon. The gods demand it.

Given that I don't have the time to play games at the moment, I'm very likely just to stick with 8th ed. Moving further than that I will definitely involve myself in AoS to some degree (I want a few games to get a feel of it). Other than that, Kings of War's forthcoming Salamanders sounds interesting so I may dabble in those waters.

As it happens however, I'm not looking for any great change - sticking with GW is the most convenient choice for myself and my local opponents. 8th ed. and AoS are the most likely future for me.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Pollbringer extends a formal apology. Pollbringer admits to getting overly excited and carried away with polls!

airjamy, Slanputin and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a good point. GW being the most prevalent force in the wargaming market means that it is usually the most convenient one.

6. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

I have a group of friends and we can go back to 7th edition. That being said, I like AoS and I think I'm sticking with it for now (or until something better comes along.) The game might seem simplistic, but there is something about me placing two units and a hero (hero is not even necessary) on the table and being able to play without having to spend three hours coming up with rules and scenarios where we would all agree. I also play Beastmen and being able to create an all Minotaur army is great. Don't get me wrong I liked 8th, but I much rather buy figures I like rather than figures I need so my list is legal. AoS allows me and my friends the flexibility to play what we want and not have to worry about points or whether the army is legal or not.

You brought 60 skaven models, I brought a Salamander, a Stegadon, a Skink chief, and 9 Kroxigors. Let's do this!!!

Bracnos and Slanputin like this.
  7. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

KoW all the way for me. Games only take an hour and a half, you dont have to rerank models, the company has its community involved in rules develepment, and the movement phase is super tactical. Hoping that as the game develops each army becomes for unique.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is a definite plus!!
    How does it compare the warhammer fantasy in terms of movement tactics?

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Can you change the poll to allow multiple choices, i.e: check all that apply?

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I was originally thinking about it, but opted not too because I was interested to see what each person's MAIN game was shaping up to be.

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I am open to trying several of the options listed. That last option is right out, 9th age is a dim possibility.

I was hoping an 8.x would develop a following. (8.x being a catch-all term for v8 with small fixes here and there aimed at making a good set of rules great. )

12. classicflava
    Cold One

WAY more tactical. My local group has been talking and we think you should be thinking 3 or 4 turns ahead in the movement phase. There is so much depth. For example if a unit(including single models) moves "at the double"(march move in fantasy) it can only be straight forward. This makes unit positioning for the next turn very important. Thats just one example. My buddies podcast did and overview of the game. If you are curious give it a listen

http://dimensionalcascade.com/blog/2015/09/24/episode-21-kings-of-cascadia/

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

Trying KoW here, I have already converted one player from my groups, but the others are still waiting for now, saying that maybe they will play 8th edition some more first (but in practive the only games in our groups are the KoW betweem my friend and I)

14. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Will very likely continue with 9th and 8th, i think i will play more 8th with newer players as the rules are more well known and established, but to continue playing i really think about some people going to 8th. I have multiple gaming groups, so i think i can find like minded individuals at least somewhere.

15. classicflava
    Cold One

Really surprised at the lack of love for KoW. Its a fantastic game and the Uncharted Empires book comes out next week(our army is in it).

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I am supposed to be getting a KoW book. I backed their KS.

17. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

For now it is still 8th edition around here in Ankara, but moving to 9th pretty soon.

But....i will be moving back to the Netherlands next month, and i am not really sure what direction people are going there.
    I will be happy with 8th, 9th, Oldhammer, or Kow.

I will also go back to playing more historical games, as my old gaming club in the NL is more about historical games than warhammer stuff.
    The killing of warhammer certainly revived my interest in historical games, and the last couple of months most of my painting time was spent on WW2 russians.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've started to lean towards 9th Age of late. I had to change my vote! 8th edition is my backup now.

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Hard to say.
    Actually, it's 8th and AoS (it depends from the mood and the amount of free time), with some 7th.
    Sadly, my meta is not interested in 9th (at least for now), which is a pity.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is unfortunate. Just curious, is there something specific that your group/meta dislikes about 9th age?