1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Poll: THE AGE OF SIGMAR IS HERE... WHAT WILL YOU DO?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 4, 2015.

?

Will you be playing Age of Sigmar?

1. YES! - It will replace 8th edition for me

2. Yes - I will play it alongside of 8th edition

3. Maybe - I might play a game here and there, but not very often

4. I'm unsure - I need to play more games before I can decide

5. No - I'm sticking with 8th edition

6. No - I won't play AoS or 8th, I'm switching to a different game entirely

7. No - I'm going to help create Lizardhammer (living rulebook maintained by the players)

8. NO! - I'm quitting wargaming!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

The poll results is around the ballpark where I would expect we would be at this point.

On another forum I guess the result would be different, but we are all civil here, which also means in most cases people will give something a try before dismissing it. And not all of us will be able to try a game of AoS before a few weeks time.

With that said, I think if we post another poll in a two months time, the results will be a lot more defined.

2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Oh sure, I wasn't stating what could be the most significant factor more that, as Scalenex said, there really are too many confounding factors from such surveys to derive a meaningful conclusion.

For example, there's also "social desriability bias" where people's responses are motivated by what is deemed as favourable by the peers. This is a factor that occurs even in anonymous polling and can manifest at different levels of thought in the response process. Are people more likely to put a positive/negative spin on news as they view such a response is more socially cohesive/reflective of the zeitgeist?

Polls are interesting if a little cosmetic. I'm glad most people are in the "unsure" area considering how early we are in the game however.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    mazz0 likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree that these polls should not be taken as any sort of real "truth". All the points made by @Slanputin @Scalenex @mazz0 @The Red Devil on polls are completely valid, and I agree with them all. Polls are fun and can offer us perhaps a little insight but not absolute truth or guaranteed representative results.

My assumptions when writing this poll were...
    • most of the people that would vote are veterans or more experienced warhammer players (and hence more active on the forum)
    • AoS is a drastically inferior game compared to 8th edition
    • Veterans/experienced players would mostly reject AoS and that the results would heavily reflect this
    What the poll tells me is that my original assumption of AoS being outright rejected was incorrect (at least thus far). If GW can win over or at least entertain the interests of this more veteran crowd, then their gamble to switch over may have been a wise one.

Still these are just a few thoughts based on layers of assumptions built upon one another and using statistically irrelevant numbers of votes. I present my thoughts purely as speculations and fully realize the multitude of confounding variables at work. Plus I just like polls!

mazz0 likes this.
  4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

Qupakoco likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

For some reason I feel like I'm being mocked ;).

6. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Im quitting. Really loved 8th Edition with Its problems, but aos? Its a spit in our face. Yeah, the Community can keep it ~alive just like bloodbowl, mordheim, but I Think we face a slow death anyway... I might be pessimistic, but no support, decreasing number of events, less hobby centers where you can use pre-aos things results...
    http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1436060249382.jpg

7. Eubrontes
    Skink

Eubrontes New Member

I want to give you credit for saying so. It takes a certain courage to admit that you may be incorrect.

I think there is no harm in playing both. Age of Sigmar seems like it has alot of potential to expand (or improve). GW can now update the rules and warscrolls without put a dent in their customers pocket.
    Despite my disagreeements with some of the doom and gloom I hear from veteran players (many much more experienced that me). It is good that their are players who do articulate their misgivings. Only with positive and (healthy) negative feedback can they get a feel for how the populace is playing the game and how to better adjust it.

8. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Don't be sorry. In that rules set, I have no issue with unit filler. The system is set up to work with it. I hate unit filler in a system where individual models matter.

borkbork likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

AoS is a total joke on many levels.

And although i can appreciate a good joke, this is a poor one.
    At first i thought i would try it, but the more i read the rules the more it felt like a big slap in the face and a very cheap trick to grab some extra money before killing the game off completely. So I am probably not gonna try it, but will stick with 8th for a while and perhaps try out Kings of War v2. and have a look at what Shielwolf miniatures comes up with.

btw...i am totally convinced this will backfire on 40k as well. As the expensive sale channel is gonna weigh extremely heavy on 40k now. And "booting" fantasy will not automatically mean increased 40k sales.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Do you think it could be an idea to write to GW. I mean they probably won't listen, but doing nothing certainly won't.

12. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Regardless of the outcome of the poll or the personal opinions shown herein, everyone should remember that us lizardfolk enthusiasts still exist and that Lustria-Online was created by the original Old One, @Sammy the Squib, for a love of those creatures. The site wont be going anywhere and neither will our scaly friends.

We've been here, we'll be here.

13. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

I think it wants to be. It has a very munchkin-y feel to it. I like playing munchkin, I'll probably like playing AoS. But I liked Warhammer Fantasy, too...

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

If people stop buying products from GW that might get their attention... but only if sufficient numbers of people decide to do so. $$$ speak louder than words.

15. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Fair point, but at that time they might have killed it already, well even more so than now.

Argh, I don't know what to think about all this really.

16. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

If we stop buying gw products, simply theyll stop producing fantasy models...

mazz0 likes this.
  17. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Well...
    There is no option "I paused FB until 9th BRB will be released".

AoS is like a beta version of a some game, and it's too unfinished to be playable. And too primitive.

18. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've spent more time at work today than I should admit reading our warscroll and the core rules. I think I'll be playing Age of Sigmar, and this is why:
    1. Me and my gaming group are already heavily invested in 40k, and that's not going to change. Out of all of my friends only one or two are interested in fantasy but none of us ever got around to learning the rules (well I did, but never really used that knowledge!).
    2. Time. I have very little time for games now that I am a father, and most of that time will go to 40k. There seems to be very little preparation required for Age of Sigmar, and that's really the thing that KILLS my time - my gaming group are never prepared. Bringing a bunch of models, plopping them down and getting started really appeals to me, and the fact that the core rules are simple SHOULD mean that games are fairly quick
    3. The core rules printed on less pages than the special rules section of the 40k book. This means that EVERYBODY should know the core rules. No longer will I have to chase up special rules and mechanics that nobody knows, and there's so much less to have to sift through when querying rules. I suppose this counts as "Time" again, but this is a very important factor to me.
    4. It's different to Fantasy and 40k, but similar to both. I think it will be different enough for me to scratch my high-fantasy itch and similar enough to 40k that my gaming group won't be completely out of their comfort zone.
    5. It has revived my storyline! Fluff is a big part of my hobby enjoyment and to an extent End Times killed my story. Now with Age of Sigmar, the vagueness of the new setting and confirmation that we survived has opened up new avenues for me, both for fluff and models.
    This all said I do think that if it remains as-is any hope of making it a tournament game will implode in a manner normally reserved for dividing by zero. ISome form of list building will need to be implemented at some point I think wouldn't be confident playing this as it is now against anyone I'm not familiar with.

It looks like a very different game to 8th and anything before it and that in itself has "killed" Warhammer. I really hope people give it a chance and I really hope that GW give it the support it needs. This is a great start to a new era and I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

See you all on the other side of the portal my scaly brothers and sisters!

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Having not gamed and trying to get my son aged 8 into warhammer AOS rules do look very attractive due to the simplistic format, having no one to play against 8th was daunting to me.

Our intention is to play AOS and once were used to that go back and start playing 8th on a small scale and eventually build on our experience, I tried to get my son to sit down and build an army list for his Ogre's within 5 mins he was staring into space, which magic item?, what talisman?, how many points?

Looking at AOS he has started "oh I have this and this and can cast this"

So from a novice/new player point it looks good due to it's easy to pick up format.

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Not touching it. I want to be able to pick magic lores, pick magic items, actually think about what my army can do and how to make it work in a specific amount of points.
    With that said I found 8th edition to overall be balanced. Sure there's stuff like monstrous cavalry and banner of FU dragon, but my area isn't super ultra competitive so I can live with that.

I was actually interested in AoS when our scrolls released, but then I remembered: derp no balance.

One argument I hate hate hate is the "don't be a douche and you'll face armies on the same level as your own". Right, but here's the thing: people have their own opinion of what is good and balanced. I've seen a player claim he'd take an all nurgle beast army if he could and he didn't consider it ridiculous. Others just have s more reasonable view, but it'll still differ and it WILL make an impact. Personally I'd take a couple of Slanns, only templeguards and some juicy new monsters and maybe some chameleons. I'd just proxy my regular saurus to guards. I wouldn't know if it's the best we can do, but I'd consider it a good army. But then I might play someone who didn't think of "why take core when you can take special units?" and crush him. Yay fun game right?

And that's also the second point - yes the formations try to make up for the no restriction part, but even without a formation I'd wager that most special units are better than core. Also I'd hate to be forced to take specific amount of stuff just because derp. At least previously we could choose what we did with out core tax.