1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion pok-a-tok

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by dhuan gor, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

do you know if the lizardmen plays pok-a-tok?

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I don't know if the Lizardmen were the sporting type. I suppose the Skinks would play a lightning-fast version of it in their spare time, though.
    Oh, and for those of you who don't know, THIS is pok-a-tok.
    Also, I decided to move this to Lizardmen Fluff. :pompus:

3. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

I think they absolutely would! The skinks are too frail to play but they (being the artisans) could definately have created a game, and rules similar, and had saurus play. I have a feeling they play something more like "Ja'La Dh Jin".

Ja'La dh Jin translates to the Game of Life. Ja'La was a brutal game played in the Old World by two teams on a square field marked with grids. In each corner was a goal, two for each team. The teams would try to put the "broc", a heavy leather covered ball, in one of their opponents' goals from inside marked scoring areas on the grid , worth one point, or from behind a line, from which an accurate shot was worth two points. The only person on a team that can score was the point man, who was the team's leader and also the most susceptible to violence. Two men were in charge of protecting him over all the other players; these were called his wingmen. A wingman was allowed to score, but only if the point man was down. Each team had one turn of an hourglass in which to score as many goals as possible, during which time the opponents couldn't score, though they can handle the broc. At the end of the turn, the ball was given to the other team and they picked a grid square from which to begin attacking for their turn of the hourglass. Play continued like this for a prescribed number of turns. If, at the end of this time, no winner had been declared, overtime turns were taken.

There were no ties in Ja'La. The ball was heavy and the rules were loose. The players of Ja'La were savages. They must have been good at handling the broc but they were selected mostly because of their brawn and their brutal aggressiveness. Not many games went by without a least some teeth knocked out or a neck broken.

(so its kinda similar to a violent football on a field about the size of a volleyball court, or a little bigger, and I figure saurus would play. I wonder if anyone on the forum has read the books this comes from.)
    :smug:

4. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

it's a little less violent than pok-a-tok, but maybe you're right the saurus plays ja'la, and some war prissoners could play pok-a-tok.

or mayb thay play only one of the games?

5. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

Less violent!? Do you know much about it?

It's 1000 times more violent, there are no rules for contact, if the other team has the broc (ball to score points) you can tackle him to snap his neck, and kill him, and your considered a good player. Infact the crowd actual starts riots if someone isn't seriously injured...

On top of that the losing team is flogged for how many points they lose by, and if the team played really poorly they were beheaded...

:jawdrop:

6. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

I'm sorry but I actually think we might be talking about the same game in but in to different languages.
    pok-a-tok is what the Azteks called it.

but only rule of pok-a-tok is: only touch the ball with the limbs, but no contact with hands or feet.