1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Piranha blade with spells

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dreyer, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

Any reason why this shouldnt work? bye bye banehead, hello Piranha Death Slann!

2. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Yes. There are many, many reasons this shouldn't work, foremost among them that no one in their right mind will agree to play against you ever again if you try to pull this off.

Seriously, I know we took a hit as far as power level goes, but we don't need to resort to this. I hope they FAQ that weapon soon.

3. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

So you agree that this actually does work? wow that is just sick!

4. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

It's the wording that is problematic. Let's compare to the other weapon we got, The Blade of Realities. It sais "no armor or ward saves can be taken against wounds caused by the Blade of Realities" Now the Piranha Blade says the wielder has the multiple wounds (D3) and armor piercing special rules.

Let's compare the wording of Fencer's Blades: Paired weapon. The bearer has ws 10. The FAQ states that the wielder has always ws 10, as long he wields the weapon. If we assume that "wielder" and "bearer" are the same thing, then every spell that Slann makes has d3 multiple wounds special rule, even a d4 str 4 fireball can kill ogres easily!

I think it's worded wrong, and is vastly because of that!

EDIT: Multiple wounds are affected on ATTACKS, and spells are spells, not attacks.

5. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Then how does the Piranha blade work with the sacred stegadon helm of glorious impact hits?

Not to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering :)

The Hunted

6. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

With the current wording, I'd say yes. If it was only for attacks, it would say something like "attacks made with the piranha blade has multiple wounds (d3) special rule." There's nothing in the BRB that states special rules doesn't work on impact hits.

It's the RAI or RAW debate again, this time with this sword.

7. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

It gives the d3 impact hits the d3 special rule :)

8. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

And that folks, is what we call an exploit.
    Don't expect this to work in any environment with judges or comp scores.

-Matt

9. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Just to pile on:

By using this faulty logic that means I can give a Skink Chief the Piranha Blade and all his Blowpipe attacks are now D3 Wound, Armour Piercing, and Poison!

Lets take the high road on this one guys and not stoop to the level of the Dark Elf debate about getting to re-roll all wounds not matter if shooting, magic or otherwise for being within 6" of the Cauldron.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Skiink chief with parana blade and stegadon helm on a Ripperdactayl charging at unit with toad, and boosted by wildform.... :D :D :D

11. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

Lol that really is the case..
    Its not an exploit, not an abuse. It is exactly the rules.
    GW intended it like that, or then they are just stupid. Or both.
    Meanwhile.. Hellllooooo my new ogre killing machine

Hmm. Actually not sure if it would work. As the phrasing goes "wielder has the rules"

12. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

One thing that hasn't been considered so far;

In the BRB magic armour section it talks about mages not being able to wear magic armour unless they can use normal armour, now I don't have it to hand to check but as Slann have no weapons can they even carry a magic weapon?

If not this whole terrifying concept is moot :p

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I'm sorry, but sometimes some degree of logic is needed.

Read the fluff above the rules. It's clearly the sword that have the armour piercing rule. Why would that (along with D3) thus work on spells?

Are you sincerely suggesting that the slann is throwing the sword around like Kratos from God of War while casting spells?

14. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Necromancy Black New Member

There's no restrictions on who can take a magic weapon.

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Every moded is considered to have at least a hand weapon...
    (BRB rule)

In the Slan's case, the Skink attendant in the arm on the paniquin actualy does the attacking for the Slan,
    you might have also noticed that the attack stats of the Slann are the same as a generic Skink.

16. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

Aye, my bad, I couldn't remember if the slann had a handweapon.
    So is this possible? I know a couple of people I wouldn't mind seeing on the receiving end of this...

17. jayzerus
    Skink

jayzerus Member

Every time I see a debate about something like this, it really pisses me off. This is how I envision people trying to justify this crap:

Little guy on left shoulder: hey, check this wording - this applies to everything!
    Little guy on right shoulder: but impact hits aren't caused by the weapon...
    Little guy on left shoulder: but that's not what it says!
    Little guy on right shoulder: but magic attacks have nothing to do with the weapon...
    Little guy on right shoulder: I don't think this is how it was meant...
    Little guy on right shoulder: logic would dictate that a weapon causing d3 wounds would apply to damage caused by the weapon...
    Little guy on right shoulder: you are ruining the spirit of the game...
    Little guy on left shoulder: buts that's ok, because that's what it says!

To anyone listening to the guy on the left shoulder - shame on you. To feel the need to win so badly that you are going to blatantly exploit a poorly written entry like this, and let's face it - you are blatantly exploiting a poorly written entry, well I hope you break your arm every time you go to play a game so that you can never play another game of warhammer again.

If you are one of those people, you are a jerk, and I would give $100 to the first person that picked up your model with the piranha blade and threw it in your face. Hopefully something breaks - whether it be your model or your nose, I'd take either.

18. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

That is a lot of rage you have bottled up there my friend, can I suggest boxing training or some other suitably physical outlet as a release?

The interesting thing about this is that it is the only instance I can find (other than fear from Shrieking Blade which doesn't count) that gives a special rule to the character and not 'attacks made with this weapon', hell they even include that proviso in the blade of realities rules in the entry before.

A similar question I have is to do with the carnosaur's thunderstomp, does that alßo benefit from the monsters d3 multiple wounds? It seems to me that the same logic applies to both cases.

Anyway, the only way I'd even consider using this in even a friendly game was if my opponent came up with a similar un-FAQed ridiculousness, and then only once to punish him without having to resort to throwing his models at his face. In a tournament I wouldn't bother with the model if someone tried this on me, right uppercut to the jaw and leave them on the floor.

19. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Why not bring some smoke bombs and huge bags with the logo of WHFB.

Throw the bombs and drop all the models being played in some games into your bags, sure you win more than if you win the tournament. And who cares about winning fair? You won even more than the tournament prizes.

You wont be rated as a good player neither sportmanship, hell you don't even have to play, just wait for the moment. At the end of the day you'll be the winner and they will be the losers. Yay !

Win by any means neccessary. (Same as rules exploting)

20. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

No, Thunderstomps don't benefit from other special rules.