1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Paint Stripping a Finecast Slann?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Karnus, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I have a slann model that I got off of ebay, the chair isn't badly painted but the slann himself is and I normally paint strip my minis in methylated spirit however I have been told that methylated spirit will damage Finecast and there is a lot of conflicting information out on the internet saying what is/isn't safe.

What do you guys use?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I used Cutex none Acetone but it does make the cast soft if left too long, which Slann as I thought they were metal or plastic?

3. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

It's just the regular slann sitting in his chair model. He isn't stuck down to the chair and the only bit of him that isn't painted is the bottom and I can see it definitley looks like it is made of resin rather than plastic. I did get him off ebay so maybe he is a recast?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would say so, pretty sure they didn't do a resin Slann, the sculpt has no out sticking arms, weapons etc so Cutex would work just keep checking it every couple of mins.

Edit ** Just checked it is Resin not Plastic ** apologies so use Cutex but be careful others have used simply green with no adverse reaction.

Google as many options as you can

tom ndege likes this.
  5. Nefertem
    Temple Guard

Nefertem Well-Known Member

Give it a try with propanole. Shouldn't harm plastic. The propanole is normally used as disinfectant, but I would restrain to drink it. Soak your mini over night and scrub it with an old toothbrush.