1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nightclaw's Painting and Conversions!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Nightclaw, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Skink Star Priest

Skink_StarPriest (1).JPG Skink_StarPriest (2).JPG Skink_StarPriest (3).JPG Skink_StarPriest (4).JPG

2. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Custom Skink Priest. Skink_Priest (1).JPG Skink_Priest (2).JPG Skink_Priest (3).JPG Skink_Priest (4).JPG Skink_Priest (5).JPG

3. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Skink Priest WIP

Skink_Priest_WIP (1).jpg Skink_Priest_WIP (2).jpg Skink_Priest_WIP (3).jpg Skink_Priest_WIP (4).jpg Skink_Priest_WIP (5).jpg Skink_Priest_WIP (6).jpg

4. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Chameleon Skinks

These guys were my favorite to make and I am SUPER happy with how they turned out!

Chameleon (1).JPG Chameleon (2).JPG Chameleon (3).JPG Chameleon (4).JPG Chameleon (5).JPG Chameleon (6).JPG Chameleon (7).JPG Chameleon (8).JPG Chameleon (9).JPG

5. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

More on the Chameleons and the WIPS

Chameleon (10).JPG Chameleon (11).JPG Chameleon_WIP_01.jpg Chameleon_WIP_02.jpg Chameleon_WIP_03.jpg Chameleon_WIP_04.jpg Chameleon_WIP_05.jpg Chameleon_WIP_06.jpg Chameleon_WIP_07.jpg

6. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Thanks!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Next on my to-do list are as follows:

Slann (planning a pretty big custom conversion on this one. I will take WIP photos to post)
    Temple Guard
    EOtG (aiming to make something interesting...havent decided HOW Im going to attempt my idea though)
    Stegadon
    Salamanders (Im converting some Chaos Flesh Hounds into Sallys...because the GW model is TERRIBLE)
    Razordon (same as the sallys...conversion from Flesh Hounds)
    Skink Handlers (gotta keep my beasts in line!)

Im also contemplating making some digital versions of models and POTENTIALLY getting them printed. If I do that Im thinking I may make some drastically different looking Salamanders and Razordons from what exists and from what I make with conversions. I may tackle Kroxigors after that. Those are some weak looking models too. And then maybe the cold ones. Because those are really bad. I would love if GW gave some love to the Seraphon in 2.0...because they have got some sub par models compared to the new stuff they are cranking out!!

Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Those Chameleons are excellent, I love the paint job and conversions.

Nightclaw and Warden like this.
  9. Burwinkelito
    Saurus

Burwinkelito Active Member

It feels great knowing there are people out there so talented, and I'm glad I found this forum, this is priceless!!

Keep it up!!

Nightclaw, Warden and Aginor like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I know I am repeating myself, but...
    Wow. Those are really awesome.

11. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Thanks! They are probably my favorite of all the things I did!

Thanks! I feel the same way about this forum. I should participate more now that Im done with the lion's share of my painting and can actually end up playing the game!

Hahaha...no worries! And thanks! Im glad people are digging my work!

Warden and Aginor like this.
  12. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Very nice work, that slaan is sooooo good :))

Just made some chameleons myself - may steal your colours (I’m not so that happy with how mine turned out) ;P

13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I missed some major uploads! You sir have some amazing talent, and have produced some real treasures! Not sure where to begin, I loved your carnosaur, and I really enjoyed your basic skinks and saurus troopers. The color scheme is expertly executed, and your jade weapons and detail is exquisite!

The chameleons are probably my favorite too... not only has your green stuff and sculpture work made some of the best chameleon skink conversions I have ever seen, but your paint work! stunning!

I am looking forward to seeing what you do next! Especially if you decide to get some of these printed, let us know what you are planning, especially if you have sketches!

Thanks for the inspiration! :vulcan:

Nightclaw likes this.
  14. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Cageyblood Well-Known Member

I'm glad I finished my skink priest before seeing yours cause otherwise I'd be discouraged by how amazing yours look. Blown away by the both of them.

Warden likes this.
  15. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

This is great work! You've done an amazing job.

I think my favorite is your Bastiladon. Your gradation around it's mouth and the underbelly is spot on! It's subtlety of transitions like that which bring a model to the next level. It looks believable. No matter how radical the color scheme.

Both of your Skink Priests are great as well. The darkness around the first one's eyes were what grabbed my attention on it, and that you called attention to the details on the staff, whereas most people simply paint it gold and forget about it.

That feather cloak on the second one is awesome! Where did you get that main feather part? (I might have to steal that idea...:jimlad:)

Nightclaw likes this.
  16. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Thanks! I had fun with that Slann. It was a commission so unfortunately not mine. I am planning on a pretty cool version of a Slann for myself...so stay tuned! Also I used this image as ref for my chameleons ( https://flashpack.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/chameleon.jpg )

Thanks! The jade weapons was something i really enjoyed doing...They need some more tweaking in my opinion still...not QUITE there yet. Its nice to know that people like my chameleons. They were my favorite to work on. I had alot of fun doing them. I probably wont have sketches. I tend to just "sketch" in ZBrush. I will post some WIPs when I eventually start those!

LOL! Thanks. I figured I could do better than the old Skink Priest that doesnt go with the "newer" look of the skinks. Although I made this guy AFTER I picked up 2 stegadon kits...SO Ive got an extra Skink Priest I may try a different conversion on.

Thanks!! The Bast was a bit of a pain with that underbelly. I dont know how many times I did layers of Nightshade to blend again. It was a pain. FUN fact...one of the only places I used dry brushing. The bast and the cold ones. Everything else is done in layers.

So for the eyes on all my skinks, I did the Temple Guard Blue, then a healthy drop of the Druchii Violet shade. Then a highlight of the Temple Blue again. Im super happy at how the eyes pop but arent jarringly out of place.

As for the feather cloak...its made out of green stuff and bits. I drilled some holes...added some support wire and then greenstuff built the under side of the cape. I did all the detail on that part...leaving a pretty rough topside...because the feathers were going to cover that. I then trimmed pretty much ALL the feathers I could find from bits. From weapons, shields, arms, etc. I then glued them on one at a time. The green stuffed the top for a cleaner "collar" to the cloak. So...save them feathers if you want to do it that way. I lucked out and hand the pile of bits from a friend (the commissions I did on page one) so I had like...20 extra Knight arms...which have a bunch of feathers on them.

Warden likes this.
  17. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

This is awesome and true dedication to making a feather cloak! (I just might have enough bits to make one...)

That's a great formula for the eyes too! I usually paint my eyes yellow, but I'm thinking that the same Druchii Violet wash will work with that too. I'll have to give it a try soon. I'm working on Empire Knights at the moment.

18. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

Woa, you did an amazing job on those chameleon skinks, head and shoulders above the actual minis :D

19. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

I checked out your blog...DAMN thats alot of models!! How many armies do you have? I spend ridiculously too long on my models to do that many. Im impressed!

In checking out your blog I saw you do your lizards in a darker blue. The purple may not make your yellow eyes pop so much as hide make them blend in. Purple is the compliment to yellow...and when you mix them they sorta neutralize. And with the darker blues the purple might not be enough to make it stand out. Considering your details on shields and stuff is red...you could try using the green shade (Biel-Tan i think its called) on the yellow eyes. Against the blue and the red, it would make them pop. You could also try the red shade (Crimsbog or something like that?)...That would pull the reds into the eye a bit and still make them stand out pretty well!

Chicken Lips likes this.
  20. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

Thanks! The only part I like about the GW chameleons are the little dead frogs they have on them...those are pretty funny. I wasnt about to do that to mine though!

Crowsfoot and Acrocanth like this.