1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog NIGHTBRINGER's Terrain & Warhammer Woodworking Projects

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 15, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Yup...

100_5098.JPG 100_5099.JPG
    It is plywood (with a vaneer finish), here is the leftover from which I cut out the test piece...
    100_5100.JPG 100_5101.JPG
    I painted over the edges, which is why it might look different in my original picture.

I did paint it. I used "Craft Smart" acrylic paint that I picked up a Micheal's (a craft store near my house). I used the following colours:
    • Golden Brown
    • Mustard Yellow
    • Expresso (I thinned this down until it was a wash)
    • Dark Yellow
    • Ivory

100_5102.JPG

Each bottle costs just over $1 CAD and has a volume of 59ml. I love this paint for terrain building because I most definitely don't want to waste my expensive hobby paints.

That is a great idea. This was just a test piece, it isn't meant to be terrain at all. I just wanted to see what effect I could achieve without wasting too many materials. I also wanted a a chance to give my new yellow paints a try. I think your hill/dune idea would look really good.

Thanks for the comments!

Thank you!

Feel free to post your picture. I'd love to see what it looks like using a different colour scheme.

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Here is one:
    B78899D8-0666-4FA8-885B-1C6F6F1707B1-10732-000010EF5395DEC9.jpeg ...with some Chaos Warriors on the far bank.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That looks awesome!

Paradoxical Pacifism and Ritual like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

CE640B96-22C6-4042-8C64-646E6A097445-10732-000010EFBD4FE65B.jpeg
    Here is the same pond, but viewed from straight above.

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I really like the desert piece, this was definately the first thing I noticed about it though :confused:, how hard would it be to reverse the colors? Also that is a pretty impressive workspace!

That frozen pond looks amazing too :wideyed:

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Do you mean reversing the colours so that the dark colours are painted on the raised areas and the lighter yellows are painted into the recesses? It shouldn't be too difficult, it might look pretty good. I'm so used to painting the lightest colours on the raised areas, but it is definitely an interesting prospect.

Thank you very much. That is my new workshop. We recently renovated our basement and created this little workspace for my woodworking projects. It's the first time I've had my very own dedicated workshop and I love it!

Thank you for your comments/insights!

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

That looks really impressive, I'm going on ebay as we speak!!

Paradoxical Pacifism and Ritual like this.
  8. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

That's some great stuff!

I JUST got something in called Distressed Crackle Paint that I'm going to try out. There will be a process cutting the top out of a base (square in my case ;)) and gluing some sort of cover to the base, paint the inside a blue color, then filling it with epoxy. I'll probably put something like a head in the epoxy or an arm sticking out of the top, etc. Once that dries, I'll apply the Distressed Crackle Paint to the top. It should give a close impression of an army moving over a frozen lake / tundra. I hope it works, anyway.

[​IMG]

By the way, I'd love to see pictures of your workshop set-up! I just moved to a new house about 4 months ago and we are still trying to plan where everything will settle and what spaces we'll want to develop. I also have a band saw, lathe and several other large tools (as well as an aging father-in-law who has a wood-working shop. He designs and builds automata. He designed and made this rocking horse for my kids. ) I could use some good "shop" inspiration.

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

@Ritual has used that crackle paint, no doubt when he notices this he will pop in.

10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

That crackle stuff is pretty rad. Just make sure your edges are thick enough. Also PVA over it a few times to secure it once it is dry otherwise it's at very high risk of coming off.

Don't rely on it to stick if you want to attach anything to the top of it either - as it'll likely come off very easily. Stick stuff down and crack around it, or be prepared to superglue that stuff back in place!

IMG_2725.jpg

11. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

That's it! I have to ask, did you dig out your base at all, or is that all on top?

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

It's all on top if I recall correctly, from his Instagram.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The workshop is small and modest but it definitely does the job. It was previously a second kitchen in the basement, which we definitely had no use for. It's a small "L" shaped room.

100_5107.JPG 100_5109.JPG 100_5110.JPG 100_5111.JPG 100_5112.JPG 100_5117.JPG

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Here is a little project I finished, it's a glue stand. I saw the idea on the YouTube channel "The Terrain Tutor". Simply put, it is a stand that allows you to keep your glue bottles inverted so that all the glue settles at the nozzle and is ready to use.

I find that as super glue gets older and thickens it takes forever to flow from the bottom of the bottle to the nozzle (I admit that I am not a patient Slann!). It works well with other types of glue as well, so I made slots for my plastic glue and my PVA glue. Although it only saves a bit of time per use, over the long run it is very helpful.

As it is not meant to be pretty, I just roughed it together with whatever scrap materials I had at hand.

100_5116.JPG 100_5113.JPG 100_5114.JPG

She may be ugly, but she gets the job done. I even made a little tray on the bottom, in case I absentmindedly forget to close the nozzle on the PVA glue (I wouldn't want to get the glue all over the table).

Now I am ready to assemble some models and terrain! :)

15. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

That is SOOO awesome! I'd LOVE to have a space like that, indoors, where I could simply walk in and start using my tools! As of right now, I have to pull everything out of my shed and set up on my carport. That takes a lot of dedicated time!

So I see a Drill Press, Scroll Saw, Dual Orbital/Belt Sander and a Dremel all set up and ready to go! Yep! Hog heaven!

Btw, I think that glue box is a great idea. I had a similar set up when I was getting my Architecture degree back in the day. Mine was a lot longer since it spanned the length of my drafting desk and was a bit more evevated so that I could work on my models and drawings without impeding my work area. There were spots for my guess, like you have, hot glue gun with catch plate, and I even attached a small, collapsible wine rack to hold simple plastic cups, which in turn, held my multitude of pencils, pens, cutting blades, etc. I had 4 studio lamps (two attached to the back of the elevated platform to provide overhead illumination as well as one on either side of my desk. There were never any shadows on my model! Lol! I need to do that again...

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

So glad someone else has thought of this... I might copy this glue holder idea eventually :artist:. The other issue I have is the super glue constantly stuffs up the nozzel... :banghead:

Amazing workspace!

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Having to set everything up each and every time can really kill motivation. I definitely feel your pain on that one. It also means that you have to have a significant chunk of time available in order to make it worth your while. In contrast, I can just walk in and work on something for 15 minutes if I am so inclined.

Hopefully you can get a dedicated work space set up in the not too distant future. It sounds like you would really make great use of it!

That sounds awesome, such an amazing set up!

You should definitely make one for yourself. I used it yesterday when putting together some old metal minis and it already proved itself to be a huge time saver! The Terrain Tutor from whom I got the idea, constructed his from Lego. So there are many options available in its construction. I just found the wooden route to be the easiest for me.

@Chicken Lips & @Warden : thanks for the comments guys! :)

18. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I'm really jealous... as I don't have a dedicated place even for painting I usually have to arrange things in my office before I can start... And but them back when I'm done... so I don't do much if I don't have at least one hour to spend...
    And when it comes to terrain it's even worse... I usually have to do bigger stuff in the living room... so that's only possible if my wife's ok with it (or not there)...

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A prudent and wise precaution!

This is a dangerous tactic! I wish you luck.

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Luck for me i'm like @NIGHTBRINGER I have a man loft just for models :)