1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Warhammer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jgibbs2, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jgibbs2
    Skink

jgibbs2 New Member

Hey guys,

My name is Jordan and I'm very new to the whole game of Warhammer, and haven't really ever played mini's games before. I'm starting a lizardmen army and in the process of painting a few of the troops now. I had a few questions about everything and am really looking forward to playing!

1) I just bought a Lizardmen Saurus Warrior Regiment, and Razordon Hunting pack, but I'm wondering what are a few things I should get next (besides the battalion box)

2) I've noticed a few of the pieces such as the terradons and the eternity warden Chakax can't be bought in stores and have to be bought through the factory. I was wondering why games workshop does this?

3) As far as painting my army goes, are there any rules I need to follow? (most of my troops will be a various shade of blue due to the large trend of the army being blue).

4) Does Games Workshop release new pieces every year? I know they just released some new blisters and boxes, and was wondering if that's something they do every year.

Thanks a ton guys, and I'm really looking forward to this game! Any additional advice you can give me would be awesome!

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Greetings, welcome to the forum and to warhammer.

Batallions are a good start indeed, and a stegadon is always a good option, most people take them.

2. GW likes to keep some of their things exclusive so you have to buy through them rather than independant cheaper stores, how they choose which ones is anyones guess. Its true it probably isn't the best idea, but what can you do.

3. Nope, anything goes. Obviously some combinations will look better than others, and there are many little techniques that will greatly improve your models. You can research them online, and post pics of any models you paint here for people to give suggestions. ;)

4. Basically every month new stuff comes out, from all over the place though. Expect nothing new for Lizards for a fair while since they just got everything new. But yeah new things come out pretty regularly.

Good luck! Look through the boards, there is heaps of info around and ask as much as you like. :)

3. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

1) I'm not saying you should buy it but I would advice Cold One riders or Skinks. If you want to play maybe dices, The Rule Book, Lizardmen Army Book, and if you live in a land with the meter system, a measuring tape with inches.

2) Agree to Strewart but also I think you have to get them from the factory because they are expensive to make if no one buys them, but then again I don't work at Games Workshop, you could ask the local Games Workshop (If that exsist).

3) There are no painting rules (yes you can fight with unpainted warhammers). When you gluing them there are a few rules like spears can attack with the 2 first ranks etc.

4) Games Workshop releases new stuff once in a while, but remember if you only focus on Warhammer Fantasy there will be times where they release Lord of the Rings, Warhammer 40.000 or other items (you can get a newslater to track all new items and features)

I wish you the very best of luck and have fun painting and assembling your new Warhammer Army :D

4. jgibbs2
    Skink

jgibbs2 New Member

Thanks suppe :). I live in the san diego area so there are plenty of shops around with GW supplies. I've been having a ton of fun so far and am going to a painting night at a warhammer retailer this friday, and a WH fantasy tourny this sunday :).

5. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Lucky you, I live so far away from the closest GW shop that I have to spend a whole day there (3 hours travel time each way) not to waste money on transport

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that most tournaments fully expect painted models, and part of your score is reflected in the painting. Some will even say 3 base colours minimum. Beyond that, it is really up to the group or where you play. My opponents do not mind unpainted, my local GW's (heehee I have 3 within ~20 minute drives from my house, poor Suppe) will allow it but expect to see progress every time you go into the shop. If you aren't even trying to get your models painted, they start raising questions.

7. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Yeah poor me! Well luck shall be mine! Going to the states as exchange student in about a month or 2 and I'll be camping inside the GW store just to fill out the thing I missed before

8. jgibbs2
    Skink

jgibbs2 New Member

haha nice suppe. Where you headed? And come August... I'll be about an hour and a half from the nearest GW shop... which is a bummer.

9. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Still waiting for a family but I've been told that I hopefully will travel in the end of July/ start of August :D
    I'll promise to tell where I ended when I get there.

10. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Welcome jgibbs2 to the discussion. Thanks for joining us here.