1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New rumours - pre-order 4th of July, picture inside

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, May 11, 2015.

?

Do you like ponies

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Like the minor mistake of forgetting to mention TiQTaQ'To really is allowed to join "his unit of Terradons"....?

2. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

It would seem a lot of army books suffers, due to the poor descriptions of rules in both Core rules and applied special army books.
    I'm sure examples such as these are far from unique, as some one mentioned seemingly quite a few armies has these rules, were it is written in the context how it should be used, but ordinary Core rules dictates differently. Which of course is a problem, when not just facing friendly competition in a game....

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I believe the dwarfs have a banner they cannot use according to the rules :p

4. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Lol :)

But how hard can it be? Don't they work with checklists or something!!

Ok, we have a rule about a character on a flyer who we want to be in a unit.
    1. Lets check the rules about flyers!!!
    2. Lets check the rules about characters (and mounts
    3. Lets check the rules about joining units.

1. nothing
    2. nothing
    3..ahha....charactrs cannot join flying units.....ok, we have to write a clear exception in the army book.

Wood elves: we are writing something about magical arrows, and we call them enchanted items to prevent issues for characters who also have a magic sword (because you cant duplicate) and then we fail to realize that as soon as we call them enchanted items that duplication rule would still apply.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

So why does this happen? For two simple reasons...
    1. First and foremost GW is lazy/careless in the way they write rules
    2. GW does not write rules with a hardline RAW mentality. That is a player/consumer construct.

Actually, pure RAW is paradoxical. I could write out the proof (yes there is actually proof), but I'm lazy at the moment.

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

More like because mistakes happens all the time everywhere. The issue with GW though is that they haven't put out a new FAQ/update in 2 years.

I hope that'll change with the new edition although we all know that IF it happens it'll only be for the new faction..

borkbork likes this.
  7. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

It does happen a lot though that they make mistakes, way too often if you ask me. And the Lizardmen book is actually quite rife with mistakes (Predatory fighter, Tiktakto, Skrox units and shooting incase non infantry characters join, Ripper bloth toads).I would have serious problems with my boss if i make mistakes like that in my work. Our editorial department is actually quite good and they usually catch all contradictions in our reports (that often involve over a dozen authors).

So I have to agree with Nightbringer that there sure is a level of carelessness or amateurism in GW rule writing.

n810 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Then again, IF we aren't part of this new ed. we could just make our own army book, without contradictions and complicated rules statements ;) We could even balance it properly.... (Actually I feel that Lizardmen is one of the best balanced army's out there, I suppose that's a vague statement though; with half the armies have one tier and half another o_O ...)

borkbork likes this.
  9. StinkySkinky
    Saurus

StinkySkinky Active Member

I was speaking to the manager of my local GW store today, he said it costs GW £400,000 for making a new cast (for a new model) and with all the new releases last year they should keep on supporting Lizardmen next ed

10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

A new what?

What was being called a "cast"? A single spin cast mold or a stainless steel injection mold for plastics?

...Lizardhammer

Lizardhammer

Lizardhammer

Lizardhammer...

Gogery and Qupakoco like this.
  11. StinkySkinky
    Saurus

StinkySkinky Active Member

If I remember correctly he mentioned something about steel... so I'd go for the latter of your options

12. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

hmm....that sounds rediculously expensive.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's a good idea in theory and even in practice I would love to read it. The difficulty would be getting opponents to play against it. It's one thing to create a custom special character but a whole book may leave people hesitant. I have no doubt that the talented people on this forum could (and would) create a balanced book... but can we convince others of this? Maybe... maybe not.

Of course I'm not saying that such a book shouldn't be created, only that it might meet resistance from gamers outside of our Lustrian community.

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Actually, just re-writing a single army book will not do the job. The whole game has to be re-written. As long as the writing teams at Games Workshop are active the game is continually skewing out-of balance. Generally the oldest books being in the worst shape.

The playing community has to be convinced to scrap the key element that fouls everything up and that is the composition points system published out of Nottingham. They use it to drive sales. They use it to relegate perfectly good models into obsolescence. And they will never stop unless the customer base rebels and writes something better.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So you mean to gather together enough people to collectively re-write each and every army book? That would be a huge undertaking, but it would be absolutely awesome if accomplished.

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Re-write is not really the term for what I have in mind.

For instance: the "fluff" sections would be ruthlessly condensed. The one for the Lizardmen is already in my signature. :cool:
    For another instance: the existing shooting rules need to be scrapped. Needing to roll 7 on a D6 happens way too easily.
    For a third instance: the idiotically weird procedures for fleeing and pursuing need to go.
    For a fourth but Lizard-specific instance that Blot-Toad Stink business that's gotta be replaced with something sensible (and while we are at it if The Empire still has pidgeon bombs those may need to go).

I am envisioning a tabletop game similar to warhammer but different in some particulars, written for, but not limited entirely to Citadel models, with an army power balancing system controlled by the players.

17. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

This would be brilliant, if it actually came to be I would be far happier about the system. However making everyone who's into warhammer now convert to this pathfinder - ish concept could be difficult.

None the less, I'm in! :)

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

It's extremely hard to convince others. What some might consider overpowered others might not. For instance our Oldblood is off the chart good for what we pay and people accept that because GW made them so. Imagine if we, as a community, can up with the same. Do you think people would accept that? Our OB is like that because of the rest of our army, but people don't share the same view as we do.

I'm not saying it would be impossible, just that it would be extremely difficulty. Now duplicate the same effort into every army because we're not the only army getting squatted. There will likely he no more Bretonnia, Dwarfs, Wood Elfs, High Elfs, Dark Elfs etc.

There will likely be future armies consisting of units from former armies, but we can safely assume that the armies we currently have will no longer be updated as individually armies.

It's a shame though that GW didn't wait a year with the end time stuff and instead updated the last army book. Imagine being s bretonnia player with their thousand year old book :/ at least ours is updated and balanced.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Then our OB needs to cost "more" and our big, not-very-useful dino needs to cost "less". What is that thing? Trogladont? -dant??

But as a starting point the point costing needs to have a different basis entirely:

1. Snotling
    2. Skavenslave
    3. Gnoblar
    4. Goblin
    5. Skink
    6. Nightgoblin
    7. JungleGoblin
    8. Skaven
    Change the order as you think proper (from worst to least). But the worst and lowliest creature needs to be around 5pts and not half-a-point. The other lowly things scale up from there.

There has got to be enough points per creature to differentiate Skinks from the various kinds of goblins.

By the time you get up to Oldblood the new valuing system will have no relation to the old one. Values will be calculated strictly by stats. An OB will end up being [wild guess?] 234 points, a Stegadon 5-600 and so on.

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

But that's strictly taking stats into account and not internal army balanced.

borkbork likes this.