1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New GW Fantasy Naval War Game

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Cedric, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

I know that many of you know or have at least heard about the new game that GW will be announcing very soon, but not sure on what info has been "leaked" or guessed about it.

On the Orc and Goblin's forum, Da Warpath, there has been quite the discussion and some good/curious info that has been shared about this new game. You can follow that thread here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=29726&hl=

So far, it looks like it will be a large box set. At least 4 (probably more) armies at a scale most likely smaller than Warmaster. The boxed set looks to cost a bit more than the Man-O-War box set did.

Has anyone else heard anything more other than what is in the link?

- Lord Cedric

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I've pretty much just heard the basics.. Will be similar in style fo the recent Space Hulk game; the whole game will be in a box and it will probably be limited edition. At GW stores this saturday it will be unveiled and people will get to see more details.

To be honest, I don't really care about it that much. I now have Spartan Games (Unchartered Seas and Dystopian Wars) for naval combat; both of them are definitely going to be far better value for money and most likely have better rulesets. They would have to be absolutely amazing models in this new box for me to consider it, and it would have to be same price as Space Hulk MAXIMUM.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Yeah, Im on the fence with this one. The models do look sweet, but I wasn't looking for an "alliance" as much as a fleet of one type an army and so on. I DO really like the mat it comes with.. looks sweet. It's $115 usd and I'm pretty close to getting it just because ive always wanted a warhammer ship game (I missed man-o-war and didn't know much about it until recent) ever since I seen the General's Compendium ship pictures and rules.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Too expensive by far. It looks cool, but I cannot justify buying it now. Heck, I could buy a unit of blood knights for that! :D

6. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I want to play it, but I think I'm going to pass on buying it. The bits are too small to use in any conversions when I'm done with the game.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

I'm really on the fence about this one... The islands are cool (even if they are giant skulls), the mat is cool, most of the ships look good.... But the cost is a lot, especially when we have no idea how the game will actually play. I'd have to get it through the UK somehow, not at Aus prices, but even then... I have Dystopian Wars for naval games which is fantastic, I just don't think I'd get much use out of it aside from being able to use the mat and islands in Dystopian Wars as well as this.

Still undecided on whether I want it though.

8. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Well,i suppose you could buy it. Try it. If you ended up not liking it then trade it or sell it? I dont think im going to purchase it. Not enough interest here with gaming group to play.

9. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

I'm a sucker I know but I preordered it. It looks like a cool game and I'll enjoy painting it all even if I never play it. I couldn't bring myself to pay Aus prices either so I ordered through the UK games workshops site. Even with their exorbitant shipping it works out $50 cheaper than buying locally. How sad is that?

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow it really worked out $50 cheaper from the UK with their shipping? I know I tried that with Space Hulk and it seemed they had deliberately set the shipping high enough to make the cost the same whether I bought from UK or Aus. If I can get it $50 off from UK I may well still buy it...

Today's blog goes through a turn of the game, and while it looks like its written to grab the attention of kids (hey guys look, in just one turn a dragon attacked a ship, two rams happened, swashbuckling between captains, full boarding!!!111!!!1) I do have to admit it looks like it would be a fun game. And the more photos I see, the more I like the ships and terrain and ocean board.

11. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

It works out to about $140 Aus to go through the UK site. Still crap but much better than $190.

I'm really liking the look of the game and the ships and it does look like it'll be a fun game to play. Time will tell though.

12. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I was opposed to it because I thought the boats had cavalry sized bases, my friend convinced me they were stegadon bases, so I gave in.

13. strewart
    OldBlood

So does anyone here have it? And if so is it worth buying? I have pretty much missed all news, rumours, information etc. over the last week and a half since I was on holiday.

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

According to GW, mine shipped days ago, so it could arrive at any second...

15. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

16. strewart
    OldBlood

I'm curious to hear about gameplay and whether at the end of the day, people actually think they are getting value for money in the kit or not.

17. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

Mine is currently in China according to the tracking info. It was in Germany yesterday. I would've thought simply shoving it on a plane to Australia direct would be cheaper and easier. I will never understand the postal system.

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Oh you mean this Dreadfleet.... :smug:
    100_1243.jpg
    100_1244.jpg
    100_1245.jpg
    100_1246.jpg
    100_1247.jpg

19. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

umm... errr... yep! Bullseye! That would be the one, n810. :beaver:

**moves off to the side mumbling and grumbling.... crazy young 'ens!** :smug:

- Lord Cedric

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

It just came in the mail today.
    Had a chance to look through the
    rules and the models and I have to
    say it seems like money well spent. :D