1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dino on the block

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brine, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Brine
    Jungle Swarm

Brine New Member

Hello!

New here, I recently got back into painting and this time am adamant on playing (nearly 30 now as opposed to nearly 13 last time around!).

I bought myself the Start Collecting Seraphon because these Lizards have come a hell of a way since I last stepped foot in a GamesWorkshop and how could I resist Space Dinosaurs?!

I stumbled across Lustria looking for tips and such, so thought I should do the right thing and sign up :)

I wanted to put some feelers out for some good colour schemes as I am currently kind of going with the standard blues really (see images for progress so far). Good greens, purples and Oranges would be greatly appreciated if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some secrets regarding their experiences with best bases/layers/drys to get good looking reptiles!

Additionally please feel free to critique anything you might see as experienced painters, I am more than happy to take some advice (infact I would really appreciate some!)

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Lizard1.jpg Lizards1.jpg

n810, Crowsfoot, Aginor and 5 others like this.
  2. PhoenixTheCat
    Terradon

PhoenixTheCat Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to LO. Those Saurus look really good, but (sadly) you can't mix weapons in a unit.

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  3. Brine
    Jungle Swarm

Brine New Member

Hey,

I learned this after constructing so have a sprue of 12 more coming from ebay ><
    Will balance out into two unmixed units :)

Thanks for the response!

Aginor, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  4. PhoenixTheCat
    Terradon

You're welcome, and don't worry. For my first unit (Terradon riders) I mixed the weapons, but in-game I say that they have javelins and one has a Skyblade.

Aginor, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  5. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the party!

Aginor and Bowser like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Welcome aboard, my advice for the SC is to take one of your knights, make it stand out maybe with an extra head from the carno, and make it a scar-vet on cold one. Use the oracle from the trog and make it a starpriest. The grewn blue blends look awesome in these guys! Can't wait to see more! Any tactics advice need feel free to ask.

Aphotic and Aginor like this.
  7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Welcome to LO! Looking forward to seeing your continued works.

Aginor and Bowser like this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

9. Brine
    Jungle Swarm

Brine New Member

Thanks All!

What should I make variation-wise on the carno from my start box?
    Bowser - How do you mean, stick a spare carno head on a little dino or something?? I saw scar-vet on old one in my tome and thought something similar but wasn't sure if he was a set model or smth.

I have a Slann Starmaster and Skink Starseer (the floaty skink) coming for very cheap off ebay, only base coated so hoping won't really need stripping and I can still have a good time painting - does this make any difference to what I should build my big Dino as?

I also have a second sprue of 12 Saurus Warriors coming (may as well fix my unit weaponing there)

I am able to put out for either another Start Collecting or similar cost total to complete something around 1000 points I guess? Any recommendations?

Thanks ,

Tom

Warden, n810 and Bowser like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The carno kit comes with 3 heads for the rider, you take one of those and put it on the cold one rider, give him some other bits to make him stand out from the others. I would build the carno, and go for the second SC.

That would give you 15 knights 2 carnos a scar-vet on cold one. Firelance starhost is great to start out with. You could use the bits to convert a saurus warrior into an oldblood on foot. This gives you the option of the bloodclaw starhost.
    I would make one oracle into a starpriest and the second into a skink chief. When you are ready to expand again get some skinks and rippers/terradon. You will already have a starpriest so now you can do the shadowstrike. Then bastiladons.

Aphotic, Brine, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  11. PhoenixTheCat
    Terradon

If you are making a Scarvet on Cold One, then some bits you can use from the Cold One sprue are the back banner thingies. Those do a great job of making something stand out. You could also use the snakes. If you don't want to decorate it, then just paint it brightly colored so it stands out. (Preferably neon plaid.)

Aphotic, Brine, Ritual and 1 other person like this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard looking forward to seeing more of your models when you start a painting blog?

Brine, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  13. Brine
    Jungle Swarm

Brine New Member

Hey thanks, I will definitely upload some more images!

Bowser I googled bloodclaw star host to find images of pages not in my battletome?! Confusing, I have some host scrolls in my book but it would seem not all??

Thanks for the advice on two SC's!

n810 and Bowser like this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Might be in the godbeast or order book, I forget which.

15. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums.

Very nice first photos, Mr. Richfield.

Whatever your needs are for painting, gameplay or fluff we have resources to help you. Please don't eat me...

Bowser likes this.
  16. TaintedSpud
    Skink

TaintedSpud Active Member

Whoops, totally posted in the wrong place! Anyhoo, hi there new Dino, I'm the TaintedSpud, demon king of potatos and poster of posts in wrong palces.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Scalenex, n810 and Bowser like this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks amazing! Really great looking priest!