1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Need help with a list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Slam mage priest, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Slam mage priest New Member

Basically I really like saurus and the monstrous units (not a huge fan of slinks don't hate me). Trying to make a list and have no clue where to start. I'm getting the starter set in like a week and I already have 15 saurus guard and about 20 ish saurus warriors. Also 2 skink priests. Not sure where to go bc I'm not used to AoS since I have only really played small fantasy skirmishes

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  2. Slam mage priest
    Skink

I also have about 20 skinks. And like 2 cold on knights so I can make 2 5s with the starter

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Just buy two or three boxes of Saurus Warriors and a Sunblood and you should be good to go for a Sunclaw as the base for your army.

4. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

HeirofCarnage Well-Known Member

Don't buy a sun blood!!!

Make one from your starter kit!

If you make it right, you will get these miniatures from the starter kit (you will need an extra carno base, and a skink priest base)
    1 Oldblood/Scar-Vet on carno
    1 Troglodon
    1 Astrolith banner bearer
    1 Scar-vet/Oldblood/SUNBLOOD on foot
    1 skink priest/star priest
    3 Scar-Vets on Cold Ones
    5 Saurus Knights
    10 Saurus warriors

This is obviously a lot better then the original pack advertises. It just takes a little conversion work.

If you want the particulars on how to make any of the models I listed, feel free to ask.

5. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Thanks :D any chance you could explain the making of a sunblock and the troglodytes. I saw a post for it but the sunnlood wasn' includes and I didn' really get the one for the troglodon

6. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Also someone just straight up gave me another starter set so I now have 2. Should I just make the same thing twice?

7. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Yes. It is the best way to get your money's worth.

As for the sun blood.

Take a Saurus warrior. You will have two Scar-vet head crests. GS one of those crests onto him (like this) 20180109_143222-1.jpg
    This will make him more imposing, and more distinguishable from the normal Saurus. For the weapon. If you look through your sprues, you will find a mace. This is the perfect weapon for a Sunblood. For the shield. The Carno comes with two head crest options. Choose one for the Carno, and use the other as a massive shield for the Sunblood.

This is how to make a Sunblood.

~Carnage.

Slam mage priest likes this.
  8. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

As for the Troglodon,
    I haven't actually finished assembly on this model. Here is my progress so far.

I have put down modelling clay in the shape of his body (leaving it slightly smaller so that the scales that I carve will line up). Next I will glue the head and spine/find to the clay, and then I will glue the clay and the the plastic components to the base. Then I will GS scales onto it. (See @Crowsfoot 's Troglodon at the end for a reference)

20180207_124407.jpg
    You can actually see the pieces of my custom Sunblood in the background of this shot. 20180207_124400.jpg The Troglodon will end up looking something like this.
    37533-cc5fd1ed90b3c9ea5c3ccc41e3bcbd67.jpg
    This is @Crowsfoot 's Troglodon. I personally would recommend leaving the Oracle off, and making him a priest/starseerer. if you don't need the priest(which I doubt) you can add him for the aesthetics.

I would also recommend that you leave the tail off. It makes it look like the Troglodon broke his back. If you want to leave the tail on, no biggie.

The Troglodon conversion is the hardest part of this idea. It also (in MY opinion [who else's opinion would I be giving]) the best looking and most original model in the lot.

9. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Okay that makes sense. One thing though. Wouldn't half a Troglodon look kind of odd with no legs etc. Any ideas how to base it so it wouldn't look odd

10. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Get some water effects. That is what I intend to do anyway. Troglodons are cave and swamp creatures, and him being halfway submerged isn't unreasonable.

11. Slam mage priest
    Skink

One last question unrelated to models. Where should I go to find more about magic items and special rules etc bc I read through the battletome and it wasn' the most enlightening of reads

12. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Honestly, Google and this website are your friends. Other than that, try your local GW game store.

13. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Cheers. Also is there anywhere I can find like a list of spells we can use bc I couldn't find them

14. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Ask some of the more knowledgeable people in AoS rules. Start a new thread. :p

15. Slam mage priest
    Skink

How would I make scar vet on cold one btw?

16. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Get creative!

You have two Scar vet head crests and an Oldblood head crest on the carno sprue. You also have two Scar vet head crests on the CO rider sprues. So you have one head crest for the Scar vet/Oldblood on carno, one head crest for the Sunblood, and three for the three Scar vets on COs. As for the astrolith bearer, pick the Saurus warrior with the coolest head. Or sculpt a head crest!

And to "pimp" the Scar-vets sweet Cold One ride, use some of the bling in the set. There are plenty of shoulder pads in the set, so use them to "bulk up" the bodies of both the rider and the mount.

And if you make an Oldblood on carno, you have the Scar-vet's shield left over. Use it to make one of the Scar-vets on CO more imposing.

Also, only use picks for their weapons (it is in the rules) use the infantry picks if need be, and give the infantry the left over CO rider weapons (or give them spears)

17. Slam mage priest
    Skink

Ok that makes sense. Did not see the cold one scar vet crest tbh XD. One more question. Should I make a scar vet on carnosaur and a Troglodon or an old blood on carnosaur and a scar vet on carnosaur. Just bc I'm not sure I have the art skills to do the Troglodon with modelling putty and I have none of the sculpting stuff

Crowsfoot and HeirofCarnage like this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The Trog conversion is pretty easy and you don't need the sculpting tools, a spoon handle or a lolly stick will do.

19. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

You can only make one scarvet/old blood on carno per set. The Troglodon conversion is a bonus model made from the left over pieces.