1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Naiilo's Lizard Army

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Naiilo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

I am going to be photographing my army this weekend and getting this thing started. the premise for most of my army will be real life lizards. There are some that I didn't do, they will be obvious.

Im going to start it off with my slann I painted him after a pac man frog:

slann.jpg

Next to come: Saurus and Salamaders.

Attached Files:

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very cool, though i personally dont like unpainted stuff, like the rocks and plants on the bases. looking forward to see the rest of your stuff :)

ps. a white back round looks better than a hobby desk ;)

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The slann looks great, :D
    But I think the rocks could use a little sand around them.

4. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

Yes, Its the only pic I have at the moment so yeah. I was thinking about using water effects around the rocks, but sand would work well to.

5. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

ah ok, i was waiting with commenting until you posted the rest of the pics

The Slann looks excellent. The paint sheme is not really my style, but it gives a fantastic magical look.

6. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

Lord Tsunami when you say "unpainted stuff" the rocks started as the white terrain, and I washed them using a method I dug up online, so they are painted.

What is your recommendations for them?

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i would recommend a matte varnish to get rid of the plastic shine for starters, but to be frank, they still dont look like they belong together with the mini. they look much more real than he does. i know it sounds strange, but i am one of those ppl who want the same level on realism throughout the whole thing. that is my personal opinion though. if i were you i would paint the base in the good old fashioned way, but that is just me ;)

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I'm with Lord Tsunami on this one, it looks like a bunch of unpainted garden rocks have been glued to the base. Maybe it's the photo, but I think the main problem is the size of the rocks, they are very big. If you covered them in PVA glue and sprinkled generously with sand over I think it should look much better and natural.

The slann looks good but the base takes the focus away from him and brakes the illusion, instead of complimenting the model.

9. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

Ok that makes a lot more sense then. Its nice to know the painting method works the rocks came from the red container you see in the background. Ill redo the base and see if it looks better. Thanks for the advice.

10. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

No problem, we're here to help! :)

11. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I like it. But the rocks are way too big. Kinda looks like a fish bowl like that. Make a jungle floor and add a few rocks.

12. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

I have redone the base for the slann, and will be adding some statc grass for moss today, then I will re post the pic. I also have a unit of saurus, salamanders, and some skinks (that are mostly done) to post, along with a custom set of bretonian men at arms that I am painting based on an actual fighting unit (in SCA fighting).

I also just picked up (for $100usd) 2 stegs, 30 odd saurus, 50 odd skinks and some terradon riders...... The painting never ends......

13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Awesome. Lets see 'um.

14. Naiilo
    Skink

Naiilo New Member

Yeah Im trying. I took a bunch of pictures sunday, but because of lighting woes they look like crap, and are generally a little fuzzy. I need to rethink my lighting setup and then I can get some good photos.